Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transfer case swapping

Old 01-25-2000, 03:48 PM
visitor
New User
transfer case swapping

I'm new here and have learned quite a bit just from lurking about, but have a question for the local drivetrain guru.

I've got a T19 from a Scout that has a Dana 20 mated to it. This isn't the Bronco Dana 20 as the bolt pattern is not circular and the front output is on the passenger side and the drive gear is coarse splined (6 or 10, I forget off the top of my head).

Anyway, as this is basically a T18 tranny, what do I need to do to bolt up a 205 transfer case?

I'm guessing find a T18/205 combo and transplant the transfer case, and adapter plate. My understanding is the 205 is fine splined (31?), so what do I need to do to mate these up? Do the Ford T18/19s have a fine spline output shaft? If so, I may be SOL as the input portion of my T19 is longer than a Ford (but not as long as Jeep J truck inputs).

Any light you can shed on this situation would be most appreciated. Oh, and thanks for reading this far.

Old 01-27-2000, 06:34 AM
Chuck P.
Elder User
transfer case swapping

Don't have any experience with this myself, but, I think if you try Advance Adapters, phone #805-238-7000. They should be able to get you goin' in the right direction, or let you know if what you want to do is do-able. Their web site is
<a href="http://www.advanceadapters.com">http://www.advanceadapters.com</a>, might try to start here. Chuck P.

Old 01-28-2000, 06:47 AM
H8monday
Senior User
transfer case swapping

Visitor,
You dont mention what you are swapping this potential set up onto,or what you are trying to achieve with the set up. You may be opening up a whole can of worms for nothing. If you are looking for extreme wheelin capabilities and reliability, and if you dont have a substantial amount of HP you may want to consider an NP 435 tranny swap, with its super low 6.69 1st gear,they are very available, affordable, and reliable. Although extremely reliable, the NP205 does not have a very low low range gearing (1.96 I beleive),and once you add big tires, it starts to require much lower axle gearing,lower tranny gearing,or last,(and in most cases) least desireable, (for extreme steep and off camber technical wheelin, anyway),heaps of low RPM HP and torque.Axle re-gearing and motor build ups can be very costly. The NP 435 really makes a fine and affordable combo with an NP 205 giving very good low range and bullet proof reliability. As Chuck mentioned though Advance Adapters will be able to tell you if the marriage between the T19 and 205 is possible and/or affordable,(keep in mind however the adapter will probably cost more than a good used 435, I purchased one in good shape for $250 ). Just some food for thought. Later,
Jeff