Sponsored by:

a/c compressor to air comp.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2000, 12:57 PM
Rob
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently got a 1980 351M from a friend that has air conditioning. I was told that this model A/C compressor is a desirable one for converting it to an air compressor. It would be used to air up tires, run tools, and maybe operate a locker, at some future time, hopefully! Does anyone know anything about this? I have not been able to find any info on it, and would love some. Has anyone done this with any type of A/C compressor? I would appreciate any and all offered help!

Old 01-06-2000, 01:03 PM
Bill Martin

Check the technical articles page on this site.

Old 01-09-2000, 08:15 PM
rockcrawl
Senior User

I had an A/C compressor setup on my '86 302. I wanted to keep the A/C, so I made brackets and mounted a second identical compressor next to the original one. It works great! Its really fast. I had 2 4" PVC air tanks about 3 feet long each, mounted on the frame. I could run any air tool, inflate tires on farm tractors, etc. I've heard people say these pumps don't last long without the refrigerant/oil in them, but thats B.S. At first I used to squirt some oil in it every time I changed the engine oil, but I got lazy and almost never oiled it. I got 5 years out of it, and it still worked when I traded it in. towards the end it would run every day because I had an air leak on one of the lines. I used a K&N valve cover breather on the inlet to keep dirt out.
Have Fun, go for it.

Old 01-10-2000, 11:12 AM
Rob
Junior User

Thanks for the info. I am going to go to work on it soon. I am just go to forget about the A/C. It is just another thing to have to do and that costs money. It seems that it would be relatively cheap to do, and a great mod. I have only a motor and a few other parts, but I am going to build up a truck that resembles a mid 70's F250 4X4. There will be more on this I am sure.

Old 01-12-2000, 03:02 PM
PAUL_2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A/C pumps work great for compressors...I use the standard pump on my truck (a '74 3/4 4x4 w/ a '70 429). I disagree with others that say they need no oil....I have seized two of the little devils. I use this thing constantly around the ranch and really do rely on it. I adapted a k/n filter to the inlet side of the pump and occasionally dump a little oil on it when the pump is running...It gets sucked right in. Be sure to use a one way valve on the inlet of your tank so no pressure builds up in the pump and also use a pop off valve on the tank in case of too much pressure...Any questions? Email me at williams22470(No Email Addresses In Posts!) and i will get back to you....Would also take a pic or two and scan/send them if needed...

Old 01-17-2000, 02:57 PM
rockcrawl
Senior User

I agree that these pumps require oil, I just got lazy (and lucky) with mine. The pop-off valve is also a good idea. I used a well pump control to switch the clutch on and off. It cost $15 at the hardware store. Most of them are adjustable for high pressure cut-off and also for differential. I also used a check valve right on the outlet of the pump. The setup on my J**p (Ch*vy V-8) has no valve, and still works fine, but thats a different style pump.

Old 01-25-2000, 02:59 PM
Rob400
Junior User

My compressor is mounted horizontally. Should I just get rid of it and get one that's mounted vertically? I have no money in it at all, so I don't care about starting from scratch. Did they put these kind of compressors on M blocks, so that I won't have to fabricate brackets? Should I just start checking motors?
Thanks
Rob

Old 01-28-2000, 08:23 AM
H8monday
Senior User

Rob,
The AC compressor for on board air is an awsome set up,if you are going to use it to power your air lockers though, you should consider also running a back up(either 12v,compressed CO2,or nitrogen)and a quick connect set up to convert over in an emergency. This is the simpelest and best wiring Ive used to date. Pipe the compressor to a holding tank, you can buy a used, but tested steel 5lb cylinder from a welding gas supplier for about $35.00. find a place to mount it up under the frame (or anywhere outside of harms way)Drill and tap 1/4" pipe(NPT)threads in 5 locations 1:Air input, 2: Air output, 3: Pressure switch, 4rain with pitcock, 5:Pressure gauge. Mount a dash switch to a 35 amp relay to apply power to the side of the relay powering the AC clutch. Run the ground supply for the relay from a good ground to one side the pressure switch on the tank,run from the other side of the switch to the ground supply to the relay. When the switch is actuated power and ground are both apllied to the relay, ( ) througth the relay switch, and (-) through the pressure switch causing the compressor to force air into the tank when the pre set pressure of the switch is aquired it creates an open in the ground supply to the relay and de-energizes the relayed ( )to the clutch. Run a pressur gauge to the dash for monitoring and your in buisness. The pressure gauges can be ordered through any hardware store at an assortment of pressures for about $15 or scavanged off of an old compressor. Yorx piston compressors work the best but they all work good. I like to keep the intake filter oiled, but they(compressors)can last forever or break tomorrow regaurdless of what you do to them. Keep a spare or run an alternative air supply if you like to adventure far from home, (I like to used compresed nitrogen). You can really improve your wheelin abilities with the option of endless air up, air down capapbilities.Rock crawling on todays super tough trails(Jack hammer,Las Cruces,Wrecking Ball,etc),is almost impossible with out air lockers and aired down tires(as low as 2 to 4 lbs).
Jeff

Old 01-30-2000, 10:23 AM
Eddie
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post