Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E4OD Shudder has Arrived...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 08:51 PM
a roth
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E4OD Shudder has Arrived...

Hello All,
This is my first post here - I usually lurk around here. My 1993, 302, 4x4 has finally started to shudder under light acceleration, starting up hill, etc. Even dropping it out of OD doesn't keep it from slipping (shuddering) anymore. So, I think the transmission is toasted. I have a gauge on it and it doesn't get hot, even this Summer it stayed within normal operating temps. So, searching the forums I'm still not sure if its, the TC, Soleniod pack, lose wires, etc. I tried a bottle of the rear differential fluid that some people have had good results with, and that did work for about six weeks. I don't know if that's enough info for anyone to give me an idea where to start. The transmission did start leaking fluid from above the trans. pan last winter. It's not coming from the front (pump) seal. Is there any breather tubes, seals, plugs, etc that would leak fluid from on top of the transmission? Thanks for any help that you could give in trying to pin point the cause of the shuddering. - Art

Old 10-17-2008, 09:37 PM
themoparkid
Senior User
I would get the fluid changed. If it started to act up, time for a fluid change. I have been told by a friend that to keep the E4OD's happy is to change the fluid every 30k.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:28 PM
12secondstang
Senior User
The shudder went away in mine after a filter and complete(even the converter) fluid change using Merc V.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:11 AM
a roth
New User
I did a fluid change this Spring with Valvoline Dexron/MerconIII compatible fluid (w/anti-shudder additives). At least that's what was claimed on the label of the bottles. Then I added the limited slip fluid from Ford and that did seem to help for about six weeks, then it returned and is getting worse. I'm not too sure about throwing MercV in this older trans. But thanks for the replies.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:33 AM
themoparkid
Senior User
i dont think you should of added limited slip. i have never of anyone doing that.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:37 AM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
complete change of fluid(convertor needs to be drained), new filter, no limited slip stuff, bottle of lucas trans fluid, merc V is what is now recommended.

welcome to fte.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:02 AM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 10-18-2008, 12:26 PM
a roth
New User
Quicklook2,
I followed the link provided and it appears that it has cast a shadow of doubt in my mind about using the MV...my transmission is a '93, so I'am concerned about compatibility of MV with my older slushbox. But at this point, I've got the shudders, my shifting is little off (Downshifting mostly) and I was draining the DEX/MERCIII as I read the link you provided. Thanks again - Art

Old 10-18-2008, 06:30 PM
jnewkirk77
Senior User
Art, I'm just going on a hunch here, but have you changed spark plugs and wires lately? If so, that could have a hand in this. You have to be VERY careful to avoid the wires touching, because a crossfire condition could pretty much give you the same symptoms. It did in my truck with the AOD tranny, and drove me nuts until I found out about it and took care of the problem.

It's a longshot, but hey, maybe it's a longshot that saves you some big $$$.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:47 PM
benshere
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E4od?

Are you sure its an E4OD and not the AODE?
I had to do a converter change on my 93 5.8 w/E4OD at ~125K.

Changing the fluid may help for a while, but I suspect the TQ Conv is slipping the clutches. Taking it out of OD does not cure the TC problem because the Converter locks up whether in OD or not, there is no manual control of it, unless you put a switch on the wire for the lockup solenoid. Somewhere on this board that has been discussed.

Sooner or later, the converter clutches will slip and you will not feel it. If you are towing a load, the fluid will superheat and blow out the front converter seal.

I suspect a lot of tranny jobs are sold because the torq conv slips, when all you really need to do is replace the converter with one that has multi or LUK clutches. I replaced mine with a converter rated for an f350 ambulance. Works good, but too much stall for me. I had installed a Baumann shift kit years earlier, maybe thats why I didnt feel any shudder, it just slipped until it overheated badly.

I would try a converter first, before going to a tranny shop for a rebuild. You can bet they will sell you a rebuild even if its just the converter. Also be careful of this trash in the lines and oil story. That is what the filter is for. If you want to feel good, flush the lines out when replacing the converter. In the meantime, LOL on the fluid change.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:40 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink

Get it warm, then drain the converter, and remove pan, clean it well, change filter, put it back together and use a QUALITY Mercon V fluid, might have $50.00 bucks or so in this (DO NOT EVER PUT ANY ADDITIVE OF ANY KIND IN AN OVERDRIVE AUTOMATIC) its worth a shot instead of taking it to a shop.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:43 AM
a roth
New User
The sparkplugs got changed months before this started - but I had already found that here on FTE and went out there and rerouted a couple of the wires. Thanks anyway. Oh, it is the one, the only, the infamous E4OD.LOL The TC was too hot to touch when I pulled the plug on it yesterday to drain, but the fluid from the pan was much cooler. I stuck my hand in it to get my drain plug back. I bought a newer drainpan for it some time ago and replaced it with the newer pan, w/ drainplug.

I changed the fluid/filter and added the lucas (thick as molasses) oil but it didn't help. Maybe it needs to work itself in better...

Is there something towards the top of these transmission that would leak fluid from? I've got a line on a "good" transmission, still in truck, but he had the thing back flushed and a fluid change -when he got it back from the shop it had a leak in the transmission up top and towards the rear, near the T-case. I'm pretty sure there is a vent on top, towards the bellhousing, but I'm not sure if there's anything towards the tailshaft that would leak and still be repairable?

Old 10-19-2008, 07:16 AM
benshere
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
header pipes

Another thing I did to give more room in the area of where the cooler lines attach to the tranny was to reclock the exaust pipe adjacent to the lines. I think most later trucks (and full size bronco's) with the W engines have an exaust header system that is very much the same design.

The pipes "Y" into a single pre-heater then exit to the converter, all a one piece pipe. I cut the pipe where it exits the preheater (it forms an "S" between it and the converter) and "re-clocked" it so that it was closer to the frame rail rather than the tranny, then mig'ed it back together. That got the hot pipe further from the cooler lines and gave a little more room. Hopefully I will soon add an oil temp sensor as soon as the oil leaves the tranny (hottest oil). I would also like to add a sensor right where the oil comes back to the tranny from the radiator & coolers. At my present rate of doing things, that will be around 2010----.

I did put in "V" and change the filter---kinda like buying stock in an oil company----actually just making a donation!

Old 10-21-2008, 06:27 PM
12engine
Postmaster
a roth, youre not alone, I've had a shudder for a while, ill have to check the TC.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:28 AM
a roth
New User
No Joy...

Changed the fluid (TC also) and filter - added a bottle of lucas and still got the shudder. I think the TC is on it's way out. Thanks for your help. The TC was pretty hot still when I dumped the fluid, so it looks like it's slipping.

Quick Reply: E4OD Shudder has Arrived...