Sponsored by:

Lockers vs limited slip

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2000, 12:47 PM
nissanjon
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lockers vs limited slip

i have an 87 f150. i just ordered some new 4.56 ratio ring&pinions, front and rear. i have not installed them yet. i went wheeling last weekend i realized how bad the standard differentials suck. so, before i pay to have my new gears installed, i'd like to look into getting a locker or something.

now keep in mind that this is a daily driver--i've heard that lockers can get annoying on the streets, and they can also wear out tires and stuff. also, should i get a locker (or lsd) for both front and rear, or just front, or just rear?

and finally which would be better for my needs, a locker or limited slip? which is generally more expensive? and can i still use the gears i just bought with a locker (or lsd)?

what else should i know before buying something like this?

thanks a bunch....

Old 02-23-2000, 05:13 PM
Nathan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lockers vs limited slip

Lockers...Best off road, not so good on road
Limited slips...Good both on and off road
Air lockers... Very good on and off road, expensive.

My suggestion would be a limited slip rear, and air locker front.

Nathan

Old 02-23-2000, 05:52 PM
Pastmaster
Postmaster
Lockers vs limited slip

How much 4-wheelin are you plannin in your future? I think a Limited slip would be best, or maybe a air locker.

Evan A.K.A. PastMaster
1993 F-150 302/E40d XLT
1989 F-150 302/Aod 4x4 XLT Lariat

Old 02-23-2000, 08:41 PM
Eddie
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lockers vs limited slip

I ordered my '91 with a factory limited slip in the rear, and I haven't a complaint. I get around 60-80,000 miles on a set of tires, and no weird handling effects. When I had the 4.10 installed a year ago, I was told that the factory unit was "like new"--and that with almost 200,000 miles on it. I attribute that to a combination of 50,000 mile lube changes, use of Ford friction modifier, and Red Line brand synthetic lube.
I wouldn't order the factory LS again--only because I'd buy an Auburn, which I'm going to do in the very near future when the front axle gets regeared to 4.10 from 3.55 (you can tell how much I've been "four-wheeling" lately!).
I'll let you know how it works.
Eddie

Old 02-23-2000, 08:44 PM
nissanjon
Senior User
Lockers vs limited slip

well the main reason i bought the truck is so i can go wheeling, but it just kind of turned into a daily driver. anyway, i've kinda been thinking that a l/s in the rear and an air locker in the front would be the way to go, but that sounds a tad pricey. we'll see.....

any suggestions on brand names? how much should i expect to pay for an air locker, or a limited slip diff?

thanks

Old 02-23-2000, 08:54 PM
H8monday
Senior User
Lockers vs limited slip

Nissanjon,
Your present gears you ordered will work with an upgrade to a locker or LSD. But you need to be aware that your Dana 44 front will need a new carrier if you are going from 3.73 gears or less up to the 4.56 gears(3.00-3.73 & 3.92-5.38 use different size carriers) You also need to order your locker to match the 4.56 gears. The Ford 8.8 rear axle does not have a carrier change throughout the entire range, so that will be fine. The Locker/LSD debate gets even more complicated. Lockers(working propperly)installed in the rear are not really that annoying on road, when installed in a full size. The new Detroit Soft Locker is actualy not very noticeable at all even in a lighter truck. LSDs are available in quite a few configurations, the standard Trac Lock type are still noticeable in the front on dry pavement and are adequate but not great in the rear. LSDs like the Auburn Pro are almost as efficient off road as a locker but a little smoother in the rear, but probabley to aggressive for most people in the front. If money is not an issue the air locker is by far the best in the front. Running air lockers front and rear though has the disadvantage though that if you lose your compressor you lose all of your off road traction. I have air lockers front and rear in my Jeep and recently had to winch over almost every obstacle to get home after my ARB compressor burnt up, and my CO2 tank was empty(undetected slow leak). I found someone who wants to buy my 9" rear axle, and Im currently building an 8.8 rear with a Detroit. ARB is supposedly building a new locker with a manually activated back up system and an LSD instead of an open diff when not actuated. I would suggest an Air locker up front $590 compressor and a Detroit Soft Locker in the rear $529 (4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers). The new Gearless Locker from Tra Tech is supposed to be very smooth and can be added later(you dont have to change the carrier), it just replaces the stock spider gears and side gears with a new locker assembly, and is probabley under $300, the only draw back is that they only have the strength of the stock carrier. Well that probabley made your decissions about as clear as mud.
Jeff

Old 02-24-2000, 02:58 PM
nissanjon
Senior User
Lockers vs limited slip

thanks for the replies. i already did get the new carrier for the dana 44. well your posts sure did help a little, so i guess it's time for me to do a little more research, and then some shoppin!!

and any other suggestions are always welcome.

Old 02-25-2000, 07:05 PM
Eddie
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lockers vs limited slip

Related to Nissanjon's question: how would a limited slip in front affect 2wd dry pavement handling with manual hubs unlocked? It doesn't seem like it would but I have the diff out being regeared and I'm really debating whether I want to stay with an open diff or a limited slip. My truck is my daily driver and sees a lot of pavement and no real radical offroad stuff but you know how it goes...
I've also been giving some thought to a Mile Marker full time conversion. Mile Marker makes a vicous clutch that goes in the front driveshaft between the front axle and the transfer case, and supposedly eliminates dry pavement bind. Any insights there? My thoughts are that this could be helpful during the flooding season here in Houston.

Eddie

Old 02-26-2000, 12:22 PM
H8monday
Senior User
Lockers vs limited slip

Eddie,
With your hubs unlocked there is no affect at all. As far as that mile Marker contraption, Its just another component (in one of the most crucial areas) in your drive train that can fail. The LSDs are really doing excactly the same thing.
Jeff

Old 02-26-2000, 02:56 PM
fordmando
Senior User
Lockers vs limited slip