Old 10-17-2008, 12:09 PM
KRDiesel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford rethinking diesel f-150

Ford rethinking diesel F-150

Leftlanenews
Thursday, October 16th, 2008

Although most U.S. car buyers aren’t completely sold on the merits of a modern clean diesel, it looked as though the diesel engine would finally find a home with light-duty truck buyers. General Motors, Dodge and Ford have vowed to have a diesel option ready for U.S. truck buyers by 2010, but a new report indicates the Blue Oval could be having second thoughts about a diesel-powered F-150 pickup.

According to PickupTrucks.com, Ford has thrown its diesel F-150 plans into neutral. Ford announced earlier this year that it would offer a diesel option for the F-150 sometime in 2010, but the Dearborn-based automaker is currently rethinking those plans due to the high price of diesel fuel.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:04 PM
meanv10
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a joke. cant believe ford would pass this up regardless of price. Thats not stopping them for trying to sell a 6.4 that gets @##$ gas millage.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:49 PM
valdor
Senior User
mebe theres more to the story like the ongoing (?) legal battle with international (natsar sorry forgot the name) about the manufacture of the 4,4. wish theyd built a straight 6 like the 4.2 TDI they built in Brazil for the righthand drive f250 we have in South Africa and Aus, but with better performance. Think straight sixes are more relaiable no?

Old 10-18-2008, 05:59 PM
valdor
Senior User
got part of my own question reading else wheres in the forum about the emminisions etc. still think the reason for the possible halt of the 4.4 is the navistar deal. still think straight six TDI is best and development be kept inhouse.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:44 AM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by meanv10
What a joke. cant believe ford would pass this up regardless of price. Thats not stopping them for trying to sell a 6.4 that gets @##$ gas millage.

Well the 6.4 trucks have needed towing capabilites unmatched by gasoline alternatives. They have direct sales competition from Dodge and GM. They are a continuation of whats been provided and what will continue to be provided in the market.

None of the above applies to a 4.4 diesel F150.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:21 PM
mnmwhit
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll tell you what DOES apply.

I like many others have been waiting patiently for another diesel SUV to replace the Excursion. I was counting on that engine in an EXPY. I would probably get the first one I could. I have been driving my Ford salesman nuts asking about it. Won't he be pissed when He finds out Fords NOT going to come through and I will probably buy a Chevy Suburban when they put the 4.5 Duramax in it next year.

Ford will miss a huge market if they don't get thier act together.

Originally Posted by origcharger
None of the above applies to a 4.4 diesel F150.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:21 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by mnmwhit
I'll tell you what DOES apply.

I like many others have been waiting patiently for another diesel SUV to replace the Excursion. I was counting on that engine in an EXPY. I would probably get the first one I could. I have been driving my Ford salesman nuts asking about it. Won't he be pissed when He finds out Fords NOT going to come through and I will probably buy a Chevy Suburban when they put the 4.5 Duramax in it next year.

Ford will miss a huge market if they don't get thier act together.
How big is this market that you speak of? Think about how many people are making knee jerk decisions to sell their large SUVs for something that gets better mileage. Diesel vehicles have gotten a bad rap for mileage due to the fact that they are in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Combine that with the price of diesel fuel compared to gasoline and you will have consumers that don't want to buy it because they perceive that a gas motor will be better.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:30 PM
duffman77
Elder User
Ford needs to open their eyes, even if the diesel option is just a break even proposition. Not only is it about maintaining a strong market share in an increasingly competitive market but its about serving your customers. Buyers are becoming disillusioned with the big 3, these guys need to start offering products that people want to buy not just products they want to sell.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:50 AM
2003 6.0
Senior User
Originally Posted by duffman77
Ford needs to open their eyes, even if the diesel option is just a break even proposition. Not only is it about maintaining a strong market share in an increasingly competitive market but its about serving your customers. Buyers are becoming disillusioned with the big 3, these guys need to start offering products that people want to buy not just products they want to sell.
This is so true, so true!

Old 10-25-2008, 11:00 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
How do you know that people will actually want a diesel powered 1/2 ton pickup. See my above post.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:03 PM
valdor
Senior User
Diesel SUV and Pickups

Originally Posted by MisterCMK
How do you know that people will actually want a diesel powered 1/2 ton pickup. See my above post.
I understand that the US market is different and unique, but if you look at the European and other markets you will notice that diesel vehicles are outnumbering gas powered vehichles especially in the commercial market. I think the big three need to look at this in order to adapt. Nothing like a big V8 gas, but sadly times are changing. I think the prospect need some investigating atleast no?

Old 10-25-2008, 01:18 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Those are European and other markets, not the USA. It is like comparing apples to oranges. While they are both fruits, there are many differences between them. Like I said in my other post, the price of diesel being higher and preconceptions by potential buyers will make a diesel very hard to sell here.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:32 PM
valdor
Senior User
Thumbs up

you will recall i did acknowledge the unique US market, but i stated i think the use of of diesel vechiles should be more tested. A change in (govnmt?) attitude, advertising and such could change perceptions no? I mean apples and oranges are both fruit and north america and Europe and Africa are all part of earth. Not trying to stir it up as i am a gas motor fan, just trying to imagine ways for Ford (as my favourite manufacturer) surviving into the future.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:46 AM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterCMK

Look at all the people that buy a SD with a diesel in it just because they have to have a diesel. They never tow anything, never haul anything and chip the truck to put out a lot of black smoke. Those same kind people would love to have an F150 with a diesel. Ford needs to lead on something instead of consistently following all the other companies innovations. I can't show a scientific poll showing people want a diesel F150 just as you can't show one showing people don't want one. Ford has already screwed up royally by not keeping a diesel in the upcoming Fiesta, the mileage will be almost halved with the gas engine they plan on using. When Toyota or GM introduce a diesel in a half ton truck 2-3 years before Ford does they will have the market share and Ford will be trying to catch up yet again.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:16 AM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by galaxie641
Ford needs to lead on something instead of consistently following all the other companies innovations.
Do you SERIOUSLY think Ford is always second fiddle to the other manufacturers?

I guess they have just been lucky the past 30+ years selling more of their subpar offerings....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford rethinking diesel f-150