2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scratched + Dented Tailgate

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 11:06 AM
metal83
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Scratched + Dented Tailgate

So this morning i scratched and dented my tailgate. I was backing up my truck so i could hook a friends trailer on, and while he was waving me to stop, the trailer slipped out of his hand and i could not stop quick enough. The trailer raised up (decent size boat on it) and smacked right into my truck.

Does anyone have any idea from looking at these pictures if this is something that could be easily fixed by a body shop? Or would i need a whole new tailgate? And if it is something that can be fixed, what do you think it would cost?

I'm going to try and find someone who can take a look at it and give me an estimate, but i wanted to see what you guys had to say first. I'm hoping maybe somebody on here has had to fix there tailgate before or has experience with this and can tell me what to expect.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
please don't take this the wrong way...but

it's a truck. get some touch-up paint to prevent rusting and let her be.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:18 PM
metal83
Junior User
Originally Posted by tylus
please don't take this the wrong way...but

it's a truck. get some touch-up paint to prevent rusting and let her be.
I can understand where some people might say the same thing, it's just a truck, who cares (basically), but that is not how i see it. If it was an old truck or something then i wouldn't care, but it's a 2006 that i've only had since June. It's practically a brand new truck to me and i love the way it looks. Just because its a "truck" doesn't mean i want to ride around with a screwed up tailgate, dents and dings, etc etc. I paid a good amount of money for this truck, it's my everyday driver, and i've been spending a lot of time making it look the way i want. Maybe some people don't care about the appearence of their multi-thousand dollar vehicle, but i sure do. It's no different than having a nice car, SUV, motorcycle, etc..IMO.

But to each his own, i'm sure your not the only person thinking that, but everyone is different.

Regardless, thank you for the response anyways. All opinions are always welcomed.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Chopperbob
Freshman User
In my area (Austin, Tx) there is a mobile body repair guy that comes to the office, home etc and does minor repairs etc. There is a sizable market to make small repairs on leased cars prior to return to keep from paying extra.
They fixed my wifes 2008 Ford Escape twice now and matched the paint
perfectly.
There is also mobil brake , oil change guys too. I dont know how you would find them but my wife is tied into various business leads groups and comes accross them that way. I found the mobile brake guy in the yellow pages.
Good Luck.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:33 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Originally Posted by metal83
Maybe some people don't care about the appearence of their multi-thousand dollar vehicle, but i sure do. It's no different than having a nice car, SUV, motorcycle, etc..IMO
or you could look at it this way.
what are the 2 most commonly damaged parts on a truck? inside the bed and the tailgate.

odds are, something similar will happen again.

if someone dropped a cinderblock inside your bed and dented it, would you fix it?
those 2 spots are miniscule and not worthy of fixing imo. I bought my 06 brand new (just hit 2yrs on the 10th) and she might have 23,000 miles by December. Since then, I've been hit in the parking lot 4 times...and despite my steps, people feel the need to slam my truck with their doors.

I used to care alot, but it just makes my blood pressure go up and I realized it wasn't a good idea to carry the 12 guage in the truck anymore with slugs in the dash.

I've since calmed down about it. I agree that the big stuff should get fixed...and promptly. But those spots you have will likely cost ya well over $400...and that is money mispent in my eyes

Old 10-14-2008, 04:09 PM
SteelHorse08
Senior User
Originally Posted by metal83
I can understand where some people might say the same thing, it's just a truck, who cares (basically), but that is not how i see it. If it was an old truck or something then i wouldn't care, but it's a 2006 that i've only had since June. It's practically a brand new truck to me and i love the way it looks. Just because its a "truck" doesn't mean i want to ride around with a screwed up tailgate, dents and dings, etc etc. I paid a good amount of money for this truck, it's my everyday driver, and i've been spending a lot of time making it look the way i want. Maybe some people don't care about the appearence of their multi-thousand dollar vehicle, but i sure do. It's no different than having a nice car, SUV, motorcycle, etc..IMO.

But to each his own, i'm sure your not the only person thinking that, but everyone is different.

Regardless, thank you for the response anyways. All opinions are always welcomed.
Ya but if it were Tylus' truck he would get it fixed, again Tylus your Amazing at some of your posts! I realize that it's your opinion and all but c'mon man what if it happen to your truck? It's easy to say "it's a truck" until it actually happens to yours then what would you do? Metal I'am with you if it were older truck then no problem, I feel your pain on this! It's easy for those like Tylus to say those things because it is not there truck, I'd say get it fixed or a new taigate, good luck on this.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:13 PM
SteelHorse08
Senior User
if someone dropped a cinderblock inside your bed and dented it, would you fix it?

No, it's in the bed Tylus completely different, this is outside the tailgate and is quite noticeable.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Oxxon
Freshman User
It's your truck and money. Do what you think will make you happy. Shop around to find the best price to fix the tailgate.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:47 PM
krane operator
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey , im like you, my 99 f20 superduty to this day still looks decent, this truck gets worked but i try to avoid the dings and scratches, many of my rig welders with $35000 trucks you dont see a dam scratch or ding on any of their rigs, why -its a truck, but you can avoid the damage most of the time if one wants to. Back to your ? Get some pricing, i would bet it would be better and maybe cheaper to get another tailgate and get it painted to match, or they will bondo and paint that one.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:04 PM
Buck 1
Posting Guru

Go to a few body shops and get estimates. From my experience, the shops will work with you if you tell them no ins. co. is involved; you'll be paying cash. No paperwork. I certainly would fix the truck if it was me............even if it is " just a truck "...........

Old 10-14-2008, 05:21 PM
silver05fx4
Posting Guru
your tail gate is a fixer ...mine was much worse than that when my truck got ran it the back of ...more than likey it will be at least $500 to fix it

Old 10-14-2008, 08:10 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
This is a good chance to learn body work. Grab a book on the subject and do some Bondo work. Then you can do the primer paint. Then you can get a shop to do the paint if you want for much less than the cost of having it all done by the shop.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:40 PM
efx4
Laughing Gas
I have been in autobody for 21 years, and that tailgate is a fixxer. If you choose, you could leave your gate with the repair facility and take your truck with you. Find a quality oriented body shop, and then tell them that you are very fussy and will scrutinize the repair and color match. Finding a good shop may be the most difficult, and when you find one, just make sure they stand by their work so ask to see their written warranty. Try not to take the cheapest estimate, because you may get what you pay for.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:42 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
If it were me I'd take a stab at fixing it myself.

1. You will have to drill some holes to pull those dents out...
2. Then a few more holes to hold the bondo...
3. Then sand 'er down...
4. Apply bondo
5. More sanding
6. Paint to match
7. Stand back and judge your less than satisfactory work
8. Call around to the salvage yards looking for a matching tail gate

I've tried my hand at body work...didn't take long to realize I've got insurance for a reason. What's your deductible?

Old 10-14-2008, 09:50 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

to OP: post up some pics when you get your tailgate fixed. and the cost. I ran across a white tailgate on eBay this morning for $75...so maybe you can find a junkyard one for fairly cheap
Originally Posted by SteelHorse08
Ya but if it were Tylus' truck he would get it fixed, again Tylus your Amazing at some of your posts! I realize that it's your opinion and all but c'mon man what if it happen to your truck?
why don't you get your trucks alignment checked again for the umpteenth time? maybe it'll actually be off this time

actually, I do have 2 dents in my truck right now. 1 in my tailgate in almost the same area as the OP's...also runs onto the bed side under the brakelight. I have no idea how it got there

the other is where some inconsiderate neighbor with a green vehicle dragged along my drivers side of the front bumper and the upper bumper valance thingy for about 4-6" of paint transfer and scrape. Luckily the paint came off, but my clearcoat got chewed up some

that puts me at 4 hit 'n runs in 8 months now
I have no intentions of getting either fixed though. just not worth the time and effort for me...not to mention paying my deductible because I can't pin either damaged spot onto somebody
so yeah Steelhorse...I actually meant what I said. I also back up what I say with verifiable facts whenever possible vs. a rambling incoherant dialogue that blames Ford for some percieved problem that is only apparent in your eyes and 0 tangible proof to support is available

Quick Reply: Scratched + Dented Tailgate