General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

when the wallet over rides the brain

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 08:33 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when the wallet over rides the brain

NEED HELP MOVING 16X16 SHED (lilburn hwy 78)

<hr> Reply to: gigs-878261368@craigslist.org <sup>[?]</sup>
Date: 2008-10-13, 10:10PM EDT

Ok, here is the problem. I am moving and we have a 16x16 LARGE shed out back with full attic above. The thing is that I have no way to move it. The house is in lilburn off hwy 78 but my new home is in loganville / monroe about 30 minutes distance. The shed has wires running from the house to it to supply the power. I need to find a way to SAFELY, SUCCESSFULLY disconnect those wires, THEN i would need some sort of trailer to load the shed onto so it can be towed. It is sitting on bricks. Obviously i need someone who knows what they are doing so I will require some information. I am very serious about getting this thing moved ASAP. I have some pics I can send so you can see what I am talking about. If you feel you can be of help email me and i will respond quickly. Even if I can get someone to atleast disconnect the wires then i will have one step out of the way and i can figure out how to move the damn thing! Please email me with some info on what u might be charging etc. Thanks <table summary="craigslist hosted images"> <tbody><tr> <td align="center">
</td> <td align="center">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">
</td> <td align="center">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
  • Compensation: To be determined
PostingID: 878261368

Old 10-14-2008, 12:16 PM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
What's the matter with that??

If a new shed costs $3K and you could get it moved for $100 you could save some money by moving it..

People move whole houses so I see nothing wrong with moving a shed..

In fact I have moved a shed for someone before.. Granted it wasn't 30 miles, but it wasn't that hard..

Old 10-14-2008, 12:20 PM
freirefishing
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dude likes his shed whats the problem

Old 10-14-2008, 12:23 PM
billy12360
Elder User
Originally Posted by donjamer
What's the matter with that??

If a new shed costs $3K and you could get it moved for $100 you could save some money by moving it..

People move whole houses so I see nothing wrong with moving a shed..

In fact I have moved a shed for someone before.. Granted it wasn't 30 miles, but it wasn't that hard..
30 minutes not miles... unless you gotta do 30 miles an hour the whole time... it could be any number of ammount of miles for them... could be 60-1 miles for all we know

Old 10-14-2008, 12:25 PM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by billy12360
30 minutes not miles... unless you gotta do 30 miles an hour the whole time... it could be any number of ammount of miles for them... could be 60-1 miles for all we know
I made a mistake with the miles reference, but I still can't understand the op comment of "when the wallet over rides the brain "..

Old 10-14-2008, 01:24 PM
freirefishing
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe its a one of a kind man shed

Old 10-14-2008, 01:27 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,104 Likes on 4,189 Posts
I helped a friend move a shed once...we did it on a roll back wrecker. Take the proper precautions...shouldn't be any serious damage.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:40 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How are you going to load a 16 x 16 shed with an attic on a trailer?

Old 10-14-2008, 01:43 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,104 Likes on 4,189 Posts
Very carefully???

Old 10-14-2008, 03:27 PM
Ship Boy
Temporarily Deactivated
Talking

I had a shead moved with a roll back wrecker. Easy to wench it up but with one 16 feet wide there would be a problem moving it and not hogging up more than one lane. You cant use both lanes without special permits and safety WIDE LOAD precautions. Might not be worth it going that far. Its not a DIYS project. You could cut it into sections but thats alot of work also. To disconnect the wires all you got to do is FIND THE BREAKER that supplys the shead and turn it OFF. Then cut wires and remove them.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:36 PM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah this sounds a bit too big for a DIY job. Unless you break it into sections, the biggest 2 problems you are going to have are ...

1) Most traffic lanes are 12 feet or less which means you will tie up two lanes. Unless you get city permits and planning you are probably going to have a problem with this.

2) The shed sounds like it might be tall. If it is anything over say 13 feet including the trailer, you are going to have to scout out the route very carefully for bridges, and power lines etc.

You can move an entire building but it is not a DIY and requires permits and planning. The pros go thru a lot of planning and preparation and chose their move times to fit traffic. Ya don't want to be stuck on a main highway, during rushhour with a telephone pole dragging behind you.

And like the guy says, find the breaker box and KILL POWER before you disconnect the wiring. Make sure any leftover wiring is left in safe condition. I bet there are city codes for this so you had better follow them or if there there is an accident you could be in beeg trouble.

If your shed was 12 wide and say 10 tall and almost any length it probably wouldn't be a problem, but 16 wide is almost surely a show stopper for the amature. I would try to section the shed into 2 to 4 pieces that fit on a normal trailer and fit height requirements. Ya see mobile homes sectioned like this all the time.

Good Luck and let us know how it works out. Some day the rest of us may be up against this kind of problem.

Jim Henderson

Old 10-14-2008, 05:51 PM
Buck 1
Posting Guru

Professional house movers will be able to move it in one piece. A roll back wrecker will also be able to move it, IF you get permits to do so, you make sure someone is lifting and road wires, and you do it in daylight. I've seen homes in my area moved without any problems. It is expensive, but that will be your choice..............

Old 10-14-2008, 06:49 PM
shooter123
Elder User
pics of the shed move would be cool

Old 10-14-2008, 07:23 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dudes, Rebo doesn't want to move a shed. It's a cut and paste from Craigslist.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:50 PM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's the point of the OP...moving a shed that's 16'x16' with an attic means a huge cost no matter what you do (transport vehicle/trailer, wide load permits, route, height etc.), probably more than the shed is worth. His insistance on "soon" also drives up the price... The height alone is probably a major hurdle (the shed itself is probably at least 12' tall, most likely closer to 14', plus a couple feet for any trailer makes it hard to go under just about any overpass.

Sounds like a candidate for partial disassembly and re-assembly, but there's a cost in those, too.

Jason

Quick Reply: when the wallet over rides the brain