1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

downpipe question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 03:47 PM
952X4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
downpipe question

I'm just getting started with my mods, and am hooked already, have the 6637 ordered and am now thinking downpipe and exhaust...E-mailed a guy at Tymar about getting a 3 inch downpipe and a 4 inch exhaust from there back that will delete the cat convertor...He gave me a price that sounds reasonable from what I've seen elsewhere and suggested getting the downpipe ceramic coated, I've haven't see any threads on here about that so here's what he said.. Not sure how to insert a quote in these threads so will try this...

""A downpipe option I offer is ceramic coating, which acts as a thermal barrier (1300° inside the pipe only radiates 65° outside the pipe), and retains the heat in the exhaust gasses. A hot gas likes to expand. Using the Hypermax pipe, when the hot exhaust hits the 3” to 3.5” section it expands and cools slightly. If you go with a 4” exhaust, it expands again from the 3.5” into the 4” section, creating staged expansions. As it expands into the larger sections it creates a vacuum behind it that pulls more volume through the original 3” section than the turbo could push through it by itself, lowering restriction and increasing efficiency. I can order the downpipe and have it drop shipped to the ceramic coaters, then have the coaters drop ship it to you to save some money on shipping costs. Ceramic coating is $84.38, along with shipping charges adds another approximate $50.00""

My question to the great guys on this forum is... Ceramic coating is it worth it??

Old 10-13-2008, 04:24 PM
otpracer100
Senior User
It's up to the individual. Any drop in under hood temps is a good thing. I personally think the whole pulling affect of the hot gas is more of a gimmick.That turbo is gonna push plenty of exhaust on it's own. If you have the $$ and want to get it coated ...by all means do so. I could think of better things to do with $135.00 Just my .02

Old 10-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Erik Sink
Junior User
I would the ceramic coating is probably not worth the money. I just put a chip and gauges in mine. I've got the 3"dp to 4" exhaust, gutted cat, and an intake. On the 100 hp setting, pedal to the floor up through all gears, my exhaust temp, pre turbo, barely reaches 1100 degrees, and it's only momentarily in 5th gear when I'm doing about 90 mph. You'll lose about 300 degrees through the turbo (correct me if this is inaccurate, those of y'all who have post turbo thermocouples), so even at peak power loading, the temperature the dp sees is probably not much higher than 800 degrees. Maybe. Normal driving conditions it's probably closer to 300-400. And I don't really see why the radiated temp of the dp, or contact temp of the dp, even matters. The dp is suspended, under the car, and shouldn't be touching anything anyway. If the dp had a lot of contact surface with the floor board, then it might be a good idea, but that shouldn't be the case.

I agree with otpracer, the "pulling" description sounds pretty hokey to me. I don't get what the guy is trying to say there; his ceramic pipe will keep the gas hotter, longer so it wants to expand more or something?? The dp pipe is like a 2.5' section of an 8' + long exhaust system...the gas is going to cool the second it leaves the coated pipe anyway. The "backpressure" seen by the turbo is a function of the diameter of the exhaust system and the diameter of the pipe at its exit (the tip, usually a little larger than the pipe itself). The gas leaving the turbo "wants" to move towards the end of the pipe anyway because its static pressure at the turbo is higher than the atmospheric pressure at the exit plane of the exhaust tip. The gas will naturally expand, and drop in temperature, as it moves through the exhaust pipe. All in all, I guess I just don't see any reason why to spend all that money on the ceramic coating, sorry it took so long to right all that. Like otpracer, I could see lots of other good ways to use that extra $$

Old 10-13-2008, 06:12 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by 952X4
I'm just getting started with my mods, and am hooked already, have the 6637 ordered and am now thinking downpipe and exhaust...E-mailed a guy at Tymar about getting a 3 inch downpipe and a 4 inch exhaust from there back that will delete the cat convertor...He gave me a price that sounds reasonable from what I've seen elsewhere and suggested getting the downpipe ceramic coated, I've haven't see any threads on here about that so here's what he said.. Not sure how to insert a quote in these threads so will try this...

""A downpipe option I offer is ceramic coating, which acts as a thermal barrier (1300° inside the pipe only radiates 65° outside the pipe), and retains the heat in the exhaust gasses. A hot gas likes to expand. Using the Hypermax pipe, when the hot exhaust hits the 3” to 3.5” section it expands and cools slightly. If you go with a 4” exhaust, it expands again from the 3.5” into the 4” section, creating staged expansions. As it expands into the larger sections it creates a vacuum behind it that pulls more volume through the original 3” section than the turbo could push through it by itself, lowering restriction and increasing efficiency. I can order the downpipe and have it drop shipped to the ceramic coaters, then have the coaters drop ship it to you to save some money on shipping costs. Ceramic coating is $84.38, along with shipping charges adds another approximate $50.00""

My question to the great guys on this forum is... Ceramic coating is it worth it??
Well I have it from Tymar and I like it, in special because I have an automatic and the DP goes near to the transmission lines and if you can drop the heat in any way, the transmission will be fine with you because she hates the hot and any rebuilt is VERY EXPENSIVE, so you decide

BTW: welcome to the forum.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:17 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a stepped expansion of the pipe will improve flow, it works on the similar principle of an X pipe in dual exhaust set-up. the ceramicoating is a nice option but no tworht the money to me. i strapped metal insulation to mine to keep the heat in. again, the prinicple of keep[ing the heat inside the pipe will improve performance. ceramicoating is one way of doing it.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:48 PM
952X4
Senior User
Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP
Well I have it from Tymar and I like it, in special because I have an automatic and the DP goes near to the transmission lines and if you can drop the heat in any way, the transmission will be fine with you because she hates the hot and any rebuilt is VERY EXPENSIVE, so you decide

BTW: welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome to this great forum...Sounds like a good idea for a truck with an automatic, I have a 5 speed manual, guess I'll pass on the ceramic and look for other mods to do...Looking forward to seeing the how the truck will react with the new exhaust and intake.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:56 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Talking

Thanks for the welcome to this great forum...Sounds like a good idea for a truck with an automatic, I have a 5 speed manual, guess I'll pass on the ceramic and look for other mods to do...Looking forward to seeing the how the truck will react with the new exhaust and intake.
I think you are in the right direction, and you are gona love the exhaust and intake and I think you already catch the PMS .

Do you have a bigger pic(s) from you avatar? My truck is white and I want to paint a grey part like yours.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:03 PM
952X4
Senior User
Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP
I think you are in the right direction, and you are gona love the exhaust and intake and I think you already catch the PMS .

Do you have a bigger pic(s) from you avatar? My truck is white and I want to paint a grey part like yours.
I have pics I could e-mail, don't know how to post them on here, I love the white and the grey..

Old 10-14-2008, 10:56 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

I have pics I could e-mail, don't know how to post them on here, I love the white and the grey..
e-mail sent to your e-mail. Thanks.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:25 PM
jeep1947
Senior User

I worked with ceramics in the aluminum industry for 30 years and never saw a coating that would do that. Granted there have been great improvements since I retired, but spend you money on something else. Do like cOOn just wrap it with aluminum backed fiberglass or ceramic wool to get the same results. just my .02