2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Temp Guage Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Trans Temp Guage Question

Is there any way I can use the trans temp as read by the PCM to be output to a Guage?

I know the Edge can show you the Trans Temp as one of its displays. Now I'm want to use this for a guage.

Anybody? and any guage suggestions? I'm after a 2 1/16" (52mm) guage...most likely Autometer.

edit: reason I ask is because I am not wanting to drill/tap a hole in my trans pan

Old 10-13-2008, 04:35 PM
kd4crs
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since the PCM deals with PID data it cannot be readily displayed by a gauge unless it is something like a Scangauge II that can read the data from the PCM. There is a test port on the tranny that is plugged in normal use that can be used to install a temp probe to output to an aftermarket gauge such as an Autometer or other aftermarket trans temp gauge.<!-- google_ad_section_end --> <!-- / message --> <!-- sig -->

Old 10-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by tylus
Reason I ask is because I am not wanting to drill/tap a hole in my trans pan
Why would you do that? There's a port right on the side of the tranny.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:51 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Originally Posted by Monsta
Why would you do that? There's a port right on the side of the tranny.
could you elaborate?

never heard of doing this

Old 10-13-2008, 08:22 PM
98greensi
Senior User
I heard somewhere else that there is a plug on the side of the tranny that you can take out and put in a temp prob. also what about just buying the edge display (insite) without the tuner to go with your soon tobe mods

Edge Products

Old 10-13-2008, 10:16 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Originally Posted by 98greensi
I heard somewhere else that there is a plug on the side of the tranny that you can take out and put in a temp prob. also what about just buying the edge display (insite) without the tuner to go with your soon tobe mods

Edge Products
Edge would be a waste of money. I'm seriously considering the Livewire instead...same effect as the Edge, and 6 tunes

Old 10-14-2008, 08:29 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Tylus my gallery (tech photos) has pics of the sensor installed in the port of the 4R100 in my van. Also Autometer gauge in pillar pod.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:46 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

thanks shorebird. I went dumb for a second there and couldn't figure out where the probe was...then a little red wire clued me in.

this is what I'm using for a guage pod and 1 of the guages that is being used. still think I'll just get a Livewire though. I'm going to need a tuner...and the Livewire apparently does everything an Edge can do

Roush Vent Guage Pod

Autometer Cobalt Boost Guage

Old 10-14-2008, 10:47 PM
jacked & black fx4
New User
there is a plug on the driver side of the trans right above the shift linkage on the driver side u can put the sensor there but dont use the sender that comes wit the gauge its to long or i will break in the trans like it did on mine use part number 2259 from autometer its like 13 bucks u will gat the most accurate reading from there.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:23 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
+1. That's exactly what I did. I had a 2WD and put the gauge where the coin holder (4x4 for 4x4 trucks) was. Kinda cool, there was a plug there that already had keyed power to it!

Old 10-15-2008, 09:12 PM
Jim Allen
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
tylus, you might also consider a Mag-Hytec pan (either the D or DD). It has a sensor bung built-in, as well as a drain. The D holds 1.5 extra quarts and the DD holds 4 extra.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

somebody else recommended a Mag-Hytec.

problem is...they're about $300...and then shipping to Hawaii....gets really expensive very quickly

Old 10-16-2008, 08:05 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tylus
Edge would be a waste of money. I'm seriously considering the Livewire instead...same effect as the Edge, and 6 tunes
And buggy... very buggy.

As far as sensor location... the pan is a bad place because its not going to show the highest temps. The sensor port will show higher temps. Best is the output from the torque converter (hottest temps) but its not convenient. I have a Mag pan for the fluid volume increase and my tranny temps are coming from the PCM (which reads from the same spot). If you have a device like an Edge, DashHawk, DashDAQ, etc. to display temps there isn't any need for a seperate gauge.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:12 AM
jstnromero
Postmaster
tylus....not to bash on a product or anything but i have heard that the livewires are bad...i was in the process of oredering one from bamachips and they called me and told me that they were no longer going to be selling them due to the fact that the screen just stops working. I dunno if they have figured all of that out over at SCT but just a heads up! Dont want ya buying any lemons for that awesome truck!

Old 10-16-2008, 09:43 AM
Jim Allen
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want to know converter oil temp, just put an inline sender into the out line to the cooler as close to the trans as you can. That's pretty much it.

I tend to disagree with Ken about the efficacy of a pan mounted sensor. I don't necessarily disagree with his premise that you want to know the highest oil temp, but that high temp only lasts for a short time and it's time-at-temp that's important to ATF life and that's best measured at the pan IMO. There are good arguments to having sensors in each of the three common locations, I basically think they are all potentially good answers, but if I have to pick ONE for everyday monitoring, I'll pick the pan. That's the pickup oil for all purposes and when it reaches a terminal temperature, I know there's trouble brewing.

I'm pedantic enough to have had a a sensor in all three location on one rig with a three way switch to one gauge! That converter temp... whooo-hooo... even in relatively low stress situations, it's pretty high (at least on a notoriously loose trans like the 700R4). It was like a continual heart attack to monitor it closely, especially when four-wheeling. Thing was, the big coolers I had and the extra capacity pan generally kept pan temps low. I had a sensor on my return line from my coolers too and it was sometime pretty remarkable to see how much heat the two coolers sucked up. Goes out at 300 degrees and comes back at 180-200.

Quick Reply: Trans Temp Guage Question