Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Projects
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Projects Share with other members the details about your project truck or SUV. Old or new, gas or diesel, its all welcome here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-12-2008, 02:40 PM
Freshman User

kouper is starting off with a positive reputation.
Lookin for some advice on a new truck/project

Well, First I'll start with a little auto history of Cooper. My first car when I was sixteen was a Baby blue 1970 2v 302 mustang convertible, blue vinyl interior, white top, 50k miles. It was gorgeous, unfortunately it wasn't the best auto for a utah wimter. moved to a 97 exploder sport, then a 01 f-350 powerstroke, and I built a bad *** huge 00 v10 X By then I started missing how quick and nimble my little stang was, and have since moved onto german luxury cars. First a bmw 645ci and now a 4.2 audi a6.

And it struck, the itch for a truck has hit me again. I decided I don't want to go into debt for a car, so Im only lookin to spend 20k outta pocket, tops. I kind of want another superduty, I miss my old one terribly. It'd have to be diesel :-)

At the same time I kind of want to pick up a bronco (the old 70's bronco or a late nineties model) and do a diesel swap and make it a full project car. I've built some decent vehicles before (by built I mean I had others do it, although I built a couple bad *** suburban's with friends..) And was wondering what the communities thoughts where. ANy tips/suggestions on what to look for in these vehicles?
Old 10-14-2008, 10:46 AM
Elder User

Blue Bomber is starting off with a positive reputation.
not really sure on want you want are ya? if you want to go cheap, get an old truck. ive seen some trucks here in memphis selling for $500-$700. that way you have more to spend on engine mods or swaps.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:06 PM
Freshman User

Unless I go with an old bronco I'd like to stay newer as the truck will become my daily driver once finished. But ya, I have no idea what I want, the hardest part is convincing my spoiled wife that its ok to have an old bronco/nineties bronco. lol.

The worst part is here in utah trucks sell for so frigging much. an 02 powerstroke with 200k miles will still sell for 13/15k if the interiot is even just ok.... nad old bronco's are still 5k for rustbuckets that barely drive....
Old 10-21-2008, 02:40 PM
Elder User

just look around for deals. owners might be willing to drive a little ways to sell their truck, so you arnt just limited to your area. good luck with your search and your wife. she'll undersand.........one day
Old 10-21-2008, 04:13 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bomber View Post
just look around for deals. owners might be willing to drive a little ways to sell their truck, so you arnt just limited to your area. good luck with your search and your wife. she'll undersand.........one day
The problem my wife has is she's convinced that older trucks are all white trash. :-( She's fine with a 00 or newer superduty, but anything older and its suddenly dirty, go figure I took her from a 95 acura legend to an audi q7 and I drive an A6...

What Im thinking of doing though is getting a bronco and kinda luxing it up, making it nice inside, without to much exterior crap, I'll lift it a bit, put good looking tires and wheels (nothin bigger then 17in rims, and likely not chrome)... who knows. I will definately be buying outside my area though... trucks hold their value here way too well....
Old 10-21-2008, 07:18 PM
Senior User

redsuperduty is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
[QUOTE=kouper;6672227]The problem my wife has is she's convinced that older trucks are all white trash. :-( She's fine with a 00 or newer superduty, but anything older and its suddenly dirty, go figure I took her from a 95 acura legend to an audi q7 and I drive an A6...

I would put the wife in the trunk of that audi q7 and trade it in on an older bronco.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:02 AM
Freshman User

[quote=redsuperduty;6672865]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kouper View Post
The problem my wife has is she's convinced that older trucks are all white trash. :-( She's fine with a 00 or newer superduty, but anything older and its suddenly dirty, go figure I took her from a 95 acura legend to an audi q7 and I drive an A6...

I would put the wife in the trunk of that audi q7 and trade it in on an older bronco.
eh, she's pretty cool other then the bronco thing. her ex had one and hes a piece of garbage...

so... I have to either get over it, or get around that somehow. lol.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Elder User

get an Eddie Bauer. they seem pretty nice.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Freshman User

they are nice, I think I won't be able to get around it. lol. Im starting to look outta state for early bronco's/superduties.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:46 PM