WVO systems

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 07:01 PM
TxFordGuy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WVO systems

How many out there running WVO on your trucks. Did you make your setup or did you buy the vegistroke. What all do you need to do to the truck to successfully run without problems. i have an 02 powerstroke.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:38 AM
orng1
Postmaster
I am, I've got about 3k running it, have to wait a bit to tell you truthfully there are no probems. I don't have a systen and that's not the safest way to run it but I do mix it with diesel, whatever is in the tank add some oil to it as it's running and go to the gas station to add some diesel on top too. The most important thing is to filter it vey well. I wasn't filtering it that well at first and it smoked more at start up, now it doesn't inless I get impatient and try to start it without waiting to long for the glow plugs to get hot. Now I always wait for the relay to click and it's filtered way better.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:28 PM
usherac21
Junior User
I am running WVO with a Vegistroke system. As far as being turnkey and trouble free, this is the way to go. A lot of peopl ethink it's pricy, and it is, unless you figure what the convenience is worth and what an engine rebuild, injector problems, and the like are worth. I vote for Vegistroke, but I don't have any experience without anything else. Good luck.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:05 PM
TxFordGuy
Senior User
Did you instal the vegistroke system yourself? did it come with a parts list? i am just wondering what all is involved in there kit

Old 10-13-2008, 08:13 AM
usherac21
Junior User
I had the system installed by Pieter Efthiamiatos in Danbury, CT. I saw the kit before it was installed. I understand their tech support is really good. There are several posts on here by people who installed it themselves who said it ony took them one day to do it. The convenience of the install and the service Pieter provided, along with the support he's provided since, really made the extra money for the install worth it. If you want his number to talk to him, just PM me and I can provide it. Good luck.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:17 AM
timbrady
Freshman User
I have about 3k on my Vegistroke with no problems at all. You also need a filtration set-up to clean the oil before using it. There are many choices and methods. I went the centrifuge route and have been pleased so far. There are cheaper options though.

I installed the system myself. It's not very complicated, but is challenging due to some of the places you have to put your hands. There is an excellent write-up of an install on the DFA website by a guys named Marv. It lays out what you have to do and has lots of good pictures and tips. Also, the complete installation manual is on the DFA site.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:44 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,890 Likes on 1,141 Posts
Vegistroke is easily installed by anyone w/mechanical ability. Great instructions and customer support is bar-none. Cost? Insignificant really. You WILL get your money back, period. DIY, and ya might have to add some new parts to your broken engine - but you're alot more likely to just wish ya hadn't started about 1/2 way thru. Even then, you may or may not have a conversion that works. The V3 system is just friggin' sweet, all the components are TOP quality and on-par w/OEM fit and finish.

(LOTS of 'average' guys are installing V3 over a weekend, the DFA guru's can allegedly do the under hood plumbing in under an hour!!!!)

BTW, I'm not a salesman for them, just a fan of high quality!

The 'other' options are JUNK. DFA's V3 is the only VO system that capitalizes on the PSD's unique injection system - the so-called competition bandaids a system they patched together for $3-4k Mercedes beaters to a sophisticated late-model PSD truck. (and they look like middle school science projects)

My wife took her Excursion to a Dodge dealership (a friend is parts mgr there) for an oil change a couple weeks ago. The service manager complained because all work in the shop stopped while everyone in the building studied her V3 conversion. Many agreed it could easily have been mistaken for a factory item...

Old 10-13-2008, 06:41 PM
TxFordGuy
Senior User
what do you have to filter your oil before you put it in the tank. for those out there running WVO blends, what blends are you running without problems?

Old 10-14-2008, 10:17 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not running WVO...yet; so this is just my opinion and not experience. One of my next mods to the truck is going to be a Vegistroke V3. I've been trying to read as much as I can about WVO/BIO usage on this site for when I do make the switch...so that I'm a little more informed than the average joe. From what I've been reading, you want to filter the oil down to remove the food particles...along with what else could be in it, as well as remove the water before it goes to the tank on the truck. The filter on the truck is supposed to be a last line of defense before the WVO/BIO goes to the 13 letter combine engine. Maybe I'm mis-informed, but that has been my understanding.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:35 AM
orng1
Postmaster
Yes filter it as best as you can. That's what made the difference in my truck smoking and not smoking in the early mornings. I have a pump with two filters, one is a 2 micron diesel fuel filter and the other is a water seperator both before the pump. I think I'm going to find a 10 micron filter so not to slow it down so much. It does put strain on the pump itself. Temperature and filtering are the most important parts about running WVO. Now I just have to figure out the temperature part...

Old 10-17-2008, 05:49 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by TxFordGuy
what do you have to filter your oil before you put it in the tank. for those out there running WVO blends, what blends are you running without problems?
'Blending' unheated VO is very bad for your engine. The combustion gasses that get past the rings before engine is at operating temp/full compression are the issue. If those gasses contain diesel, not too big a deal (ever notice how fast your oil gets BLACK in a diesel?). But, if those gasses have unburnt VO, the VO rapidly polymerizes and almost immeadiately lubrication is compromised. Add to that the additional layer of carbon you lay on every day from poorly atomised, marginally combusted 'fuel' during the same time and the damage can be severe.

Usually, UOA will discourage folks from doing this pretty early on - but the damage is not always seen there before its 'too late'. My advice to those blending is to spend some of that money ya think yer savin' on UOA - and please post the results here. You may save some other poor, desperate soul (who's not these days?) from making the same mistake.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:17 AM
littledre1
Senior User
Originally Posted by usherac21
I had the system installed by Pieter Efthiamiatos in Danbury, CT. I saw the kit before it was installed. I understand their tech support is really good. There are several posts on here by people who installed it themselves who said it ony took them one day to do it. The convenience of the install and the service Pieter provided, along with the support he's provided since, really made the extra money for the install worth it. If you want his number to talk to him, just PM me and I can provide it. Good luck.
If you are in the Northeast and looking to get a Vegistroke system/install I can't say enough good things about Pieter. Install and customer service from him have been top notch. On top of that he's always got lots of oil on hand for sale if you're not interested/don't have the time to collect. PM me for details if you're interested.

As far as the Vegistroke system goes it is AWESOME!!!! I have 10K on the system so far and it has worked perfectly. IMHO if you own a 7.3 there is NO other system that compares to the V3 period!!

Buy it. It's worth every penny.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:32 PM
dyoungen
Posting Guru
I have an 1987 Ford F250 with a self installed SVO system. This is the 3rd vehicle I've converted, the other two were Isuzu's. For more SVO information here is another site:

General SVO Discussion - Forum Powered by eve community

Old 10-24-2008, 09:15 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by dyoungen
I have an 1987 Ford F250 with a self installed SVO system. This is the 3rd vehicle I've converted, the other two were Isuzu's. For more SVO information here is another site:

General SVO Discussion - Forum Powered by eve community
I understand this site has become quite helpful to biodieselers.

I've found the Frybrid site to have the most up to date info on SVO as a fuel available. Check out the VO Theory, Resources, History, etc sections. Good info with lots of references and back-up's for the ideas presented. The forum is full of contributors (mostly DIY'ers) who are quite helpful AND knowlegeable. For the most part, the other sites are 'behind the times'...

Old 10-30-2008, 06:06 PM
Jack_99V10
Senior User
Fellow V3'er here.

Loving every minute of it. The DFA forum is extremely informative and friendly.
I'm Jack_Toepfer over there.

My installation was done by Dan Tanton, Mike Leeder and myself. We completed the entire install front to back and running on WVO in about 5 hours. Dan was the only one with Vegistroke experience.

Quick Reply: WVO systems