1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage
Old 11-17-2014, 05:13 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Heater Core / Blend Door Replacement (How To Guide With Pictures)

Old 10-09-2008, 09:30 PM
TexAcoon
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heater Core / Blend Door Replacement (How To Guide With Pictures)

<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message --><!-- google_ad_section_start -->I'd like to thank those that have taken time to write much information about heater core and blend door replacement. I decided to tackle this job myself and I found it to be easier than what I had expected. The time involved was fairly significant, but the overall difficulty of the job is something that anyone with a good socket set and assortment of other basic tools can tackle... saving hundreds of dollars in the process!

Pending on your year model there could be a couple of steps that could be differed a little. The document below opens with MS WORD and can be printed out and taken with you to your truck during repairs.

Here it is... http://nator.net/files/Heater Core Replacement.doc

Hope It Helps!

Old 10-09-2008, 09:49 PM
GammaDriver
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are awesome - thanks.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:58 PM
TexAcoon
Freshman User
Your Welcome .... I have not gotten this far yet! ... I'm still removing screws and wires... But should be in the plenum tomorrow ....

Good Luck and Thanks Again!

Old 12-22-2008, 12:10 PM
ScottInTexas
Give me coffee - Or beer!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Excellent job of documenting the procedure. Nice photos and illustrations.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:20 PM
tdoe
New User
Thanks for the help! I just got done with mine. Took about 10 hours. I used this post as well as

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...ml#post4102926

I also changed my instrument panel lights that have been out for years!

It sure would have been more difficult if I hadn't found this forum.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:25 PM
tdoe
New User
P.S. I didn't take my entire dash out! Which meant I didn't disconnect alot of unnecessary stuff.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:49 PM
TexAcoon
Freshman User
Good! .. [as to not providing any additional information]

We are pleased you didn't have to go through all of the integral steps we went through.

Bet you used a saw to cut the box open? YUP! That's professional!

Old 10-19-2009, 06:30 AM
edford1
Freshman User
Man this is great !!!! Really appreciate the step by step. I will be starting this today and it looks like it should go pretty good. (Ha! Ha!)

Old 10-19-2009, 08:12 AM
GammaDriver
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by edford1
Man this is great !!!! Really appreciate the step by step. I will be starting this today and it looks like it should go pretty good. (Ha! Ha!)
You too, huh? I just drove 350 miles north to pick up a friend - and with this cold spell I had no heat for the entire trip. It made the drive, and will make the drive back, today, interesting.

I moved to south Florida for a reason - and that reason is failing me; I guess moving as far south as I could go still didn't get me out of having to fix the blend door...

Old 11-19-2009, 05:06 PM
RoyalFord
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm starting on my heater core tonight... this is going to suck.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:14 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Take your time and it should go ok. It was bolted together so you can unbolt it. Let us know how it goes.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:01 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
The most expensive tool in your box is "impatience"

Old 11-22-2009, 02:41 PM
RoyalFord
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Aight it's done! This guide was PRICELESS! I would never have been able to do this myself without it. There were some minor variations between some of the pics and my truck but nothing crazy.

Replaced heater core, upper and lower hose, thermostat, and flushed the cooling system. Also replaced all my instrument cluster light bulbs while I was in there since they were going out!

Took about 15 hours to do everything :/ ... didn't set a speed record but it is all done and no leaks or issues so far!

Thanks again for the guide!

Old 12-23-2009, 11:32 AM
yellowrosefarm
Freshman User
Originally Posted by TexAcoon
<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message --><!-- google_ad_section_start -->I'd like to thank those that have taken time to write much information about heater core and blend door replacement. I decided to tackle this job myself and I found it to be easier than what I had expected. The time involved was fairly significant, but the overall difficulty of the job is something that anyone with a good socket set and assortment of other basic tools can tackle... saving hundreds of dollars in the process!

Pending on your year model there could be a couple of steps that could be differed a little. The document below opens with MS WORD and can be printed out and taken with you to your truck during repairs.

Here it is... http://nator.net/files/Heater Core Replacement.doc

Hope It Helps!
Thanks for the pictures with the instructions. My friend has a '99 with the door stuck in the cool position. He had been quoted $1500 to repair it "properly". From looking at the picture above #38 instruction showing what the door looked like and where it was positioned we decided to drill a 1/4" hole just to the right of the triangular protrusion next to your word "cut". I then stuck a long thin screwdriver through the hole, located the foam strips and the door itself. With some gentle nudging, it unstuck and opened to the heat position. A piece of black electrical tape over the hole finished the "repair". Cost 0$ Without your picture this would not have been possible. Again, many thanks!

Old 12-23-2009, 12:15 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by yellowrosefarm
Thanks for the pictures with the instructions. My friend has a '99 with the door stuck in the cool position. He had been quoted $1500 to repair it "properly". From looking at the picture above #38 instruction showing what the door looked like and where it was positioned we decided to drill a 1/4" hole just to the right of the triangular protrusion next to your word "cut". I then stuck a long thin screwdriver through the hole, located the foam strips and the door itself. With some gentle nudging, it unstuck and opened to the heat position. A piece of black electrical tape over the hole finished the "repair". Cost 0$ Without your picture this would not have been possible. Again, many thanks!
My Ford dealership would have fixed it "properly" for about $600.00

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heater Core / Blend Door Replacement (How To Guide With Pictures)