Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-09-2008, 09:30 PM
Freshman User

TexAcoon is starting off with a positive reputation.
Heater Core / Blend Door Replacement (How To Guide With Pictures)

I'd like to thank those that have taken time to write much information about heater core and blend door replacement. I decided to tackle this job myself and I found it to be easier than what I had expected. The time involved was fairly significant, but the overall difficulty of the job is something that anyone with a good socket set and assortment of other basic tools can tackle... saving hundreds of dollars in the process!

Pending on your year model there could be a couple of steps that could be differed a little. The document below opens with MS WORD and can be printed out and taken with you to your truck during repairs.

Here it is... http://nator.net/files/Heater Core Replacement.doc

Hope It Helps!
Old 10-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Posting Guru

GammaDriver is starting off with a positive reputation.
You are awesome - thanks.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Freshman User

Your Welcome .... I have not gotten this far yet! ... I'm still removing screws and wires... But should be in the plenum tomorrow ....

Good Luck and Thanks Again!
Old 12-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Give me coffee - Or beer!

ScottInTexas has a great reputation on FTE.ScottInTexas has a great reputation on FTE.ScottInTexas has a great reputation on FTE.ScottInTexas has a great reputation on FTE.
Excellent job of documenting the procedure. Nice photos and illustrations.
'99 F-150 Super Flairside, 5.4L Windsor
'02 F-350 Super Crew Cab Dually, 7.3Ltr Powerstroke
'06 F-150 Super Crew Cab, 4.6l

"If it looks impossible, it probably is." - Me
Does sweating palms mean something?
Old 04-15-2009, 02:20 PM
New User

tdoe is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the help! I just got done with mine. Took about 10 hours. I used this post as well as

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/54...ml#post4102926

I also changed my instrument panel lights that have been out for years!

It sure would have been more difficult if I hadn't found this forum.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:25 PM
New User

tdoe is starting off with a positive reputation.
P.S. I didn't take my entire dash out! Which meant I didn't disconnect alot of unnecessary stuff.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Freshman User

Good! .. [as to not providing any additional information]

We are pleased you didn't have to go through all of the integral steps we went through.

Bet you used a saw to cut the box open? YUP! That's professional!
Old 10-19-2009, 06:30 AM
Freshman User

edford1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Man this is great !!!! Really appreciate the step by step. I will be starting this today and it looks like it should go pretty good. (Ha! Ha!)
Old 10-19-2009, 08:12 AM
Posting Guru

GammaDriver is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edford1 View Post
Man this is great !!!! Really appreciate the step by step. I will be starting this today and it looks like it should go pretty good. (Ha! Ha!)
You too, huh? I just drove 350 miles north to pick up a friend - and with this cold spell I had no heat for the entire trip. It made the drive, and will make the drive back, today, interesting.

I moved to south Florida for a reason - and that reason is failing me; I guess moving as far south as I could go still didn't get me out of having to fix the blend door...
Old 11-19-2009, 05:06 PM
Elder User

RoyalFord is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm starting on my heater core tonight... this is going to suck.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:14 PM
Post Fiend

Ultramagdan has much to be proud ofUltramagdan has much to be proud ofUltramagdan has much to be proud ofUltramagdan has much to be proud ofUltramagdan has much to be proud ofUltramagdan has much to be proud ofUltramagdan has much to be proud ofUltramagdan has much to be proud ofUltramagdan has much to be proud of
Take your time and it should go ok. It was bolted together so you can unbolt it. Let us know how it goes.
2006 KLR 685
Old 11-19-2009, 09:01 PM
Postmaster

HomerWinzlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HomerWinzlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The most expensive tool in your box is "impatience"

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!!

My Missing Michelle
Old 11-22-2009, 02:41 PM
Elder User

RoyalFord is starting off with a positive reputation.
Aight it's done! This guide was PRICELESS! I would never have been able to do this myself without it. There were some minor variations between some of the pics and my truck but nothing crazy.

Replaced heater core, upper and lower hose, thermostat, and flushed the cooling system. Also replaced all my instrument cluster light bulbs while I was in there since they were going out!

Took about 15 hours to do everything :/ ... didn't set a speed record but it is all done and no leaks or issues so far!

Thanks again for the guide!
Old 12-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Freshman User

yellowrosefarm is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAcoon View Post
I'd like to thank those that have taken time to write much information about heater core and blend door replacement. I decided to tackle this job myself and I found it to be easier than what I had expected. The time involved was fairly significant, but the overall difficulty of the job is something that anyone with a good socket set and assortment of other basic tools can tackle... saving hundreds of dollars in the process!

Pending on your year model there could be a couple of steps that could be differed a little. The document below opens with MS WORD and can be printed out and taken with you to your truck during repairs.

Here it is... http://nator.net/files/Heater Core Replacement.doc

Hope It Helps!
Thanks for the pictures with the instructions. My friend has a '99 with the door stuck in the cool position. He had been quoted $1500 to repair it "properly". From looking at the picture above #38 instruction showing what the door looked like and where it was positioned we decided to drill a 1/4" hole just to the right of the triangular protrusion next to your word "cut". I then stuck a long thin screwdriver through the hole, located the foam strips and the door itself. With some gentle nudging, it unstuck and opened to the heat position. A piece of black electrical tape over the hole finished the "repair". Cost 0$ Without your picture this would not have been possible. Again, many thanks!
Old 12-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Postmaster

HomerWinzlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HomerWinzlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowrosefarm View Post
Thanks for the pictures with the instructions. My friend has a '99 with the door stuck in the cool position. He had been quoted $1500 to repair it "properly". From looking at the picture above #38 instruction showing what the door looked like and where it was positioned we decided to drill a 1/4" hole just to the right of the triangular protrusion next to your word "cut". I then stuck a long thin screwdriver through the hole, located the foam strips and the door itself. With some gentle nudging, it unstuck and opened to the heat position. A piece of black electrical tape over the hole finished the "repair". Cost 0$ Without your picture this would not have been possible. Again, many thanks!
My Ford dealership would have fixed it "properly" for about $600.00

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!!

My Missing Michelle
Old 12-23-2009, 12:15 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150

Tags
08, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2003, actuators, blend, core, door, f150, ford, heater, repair, replacement