BioD + generator versus IKE

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 02:51 PM
TXHillCountry
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BioD + generator versus IKE

I bought a 7500W portable diesel generator a couple of years ago, mostly because it was a good deal, and it was more fuel efficient than its gas counterpart.
But the real value came last week after hurricane Ike, where I had the generator and about 100 gallons of bio sitting in drums, when all of the service stations were dark or without fuel of any kind.

The only drawback is that my patio smells like a Burger King....

Go Bio !!!!

Old 09-23-2008, 03:00 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,890 Likes on 1,141 Posts
Nicely done. It is kinda nice not having to rely on the 'system' ALL the time, eh?

Old 09-23-2008, 09:52 PM
sgrol
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
still w/o power here but I was wondering about bio and the diesel gen. How'd it run? What brand engine does it have? been thinking of getting a diesel myself.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:15 AM
TXHillCountry
Elder User
Originally Posted by sgrol
still w/o power here but I was wondering about bio and the diesel gen. How'd it run? What brand engine does it have? been thinking of getting a diesel myself.
I'll have to look at the engine itself. The gen is a Titan 7500 Diesel.

Runs great on the bio. Probably the biggest benefit is that it's more fuel efficient than the gas gens.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:04 PM
sgrol
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by TXHillCountry
I'll have to look at the engine itself. The gen is a Titan 7500 Diesel.

Runs great on the bio. Probably the biggest benefit is that it's more fuel efficient than the gas gens.
Running mine on propane now, which is very convenient - no fill ups - running off of 500 gal home tank. Definitely interested in the diesel route though, especially running on bio.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:30 AM
orng1
Postmaster
Running mine on propane now, which is very convenient - no fill ups - running off of 500 gal home tank. Definitely interested in the diesel route though, especially running on bio.
I was looking at a propane generator, how do you like it? The diesel one seemed a little to expensive for me. I'm planing to live out in an area without power for a few months so a generator will be a necessity.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:38 AM
TXHillCountry
Elder User

Even though we had a lot of BioD on hand, I do plan to sell the diesel gen for a propane/nat gas gen (or just a big portable gasoline gen with a tri-fuel adapter kit), and hook it up to the nat gas line at the house.
TX

Old 10-01-2008, 05:55 PM
sgrol
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by orng1
I was looking at a propane generator, how do you like it? The diesel one seemed a little to expensive for me. I'm planing to live out in an area without power for a few months so a generator will be a necessity.
Love the convenience of the propane as far as not having to fill tank up as with gasoline or diesel. Mine is actuall a gasoline model that I converted to propane. I can run gasoline or propane in it. Propane is a much cleaner burning fuel with a lot less harmfull emissions than gasoline. You lose a little power as propane does not have as much btu content as gasoline. The engine ran a whole lot smoother on propane than on gas. I tried to adust the carb on gas to smooth it out but, to my surprize, there was no carb adjustment. I would suggest getting an engine with a low oil cutoff for obvious reasons. One with a pressurized oil system and filter would be a plus also. Add water cooled and radiator - even better. Mine is rated at 5550 watts with a 10 hp B&S engine. I believe the engine is too small as it struggled to run my water well (220v). I have a friend who just ordered a 5500 watt propane fueled gen that has a 13 hp engine. Saw it today and it is nice. Chinese model so don't know how long it will last. Much quieter than mine and a lot more advanced as far as plugs and controls go.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:22 AM
comp
Freshman User
so what engine is on it ??