1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

The ultimate frame swap thread-Please everyone contribute

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 04:45 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
The ultimate frame swap thread-Please everyone contribute

Almost on a monthly basis some one posts a request on information about swapping frames to get better suspension, braking and power. At first there was a lot of negative reactions to most of the posts. There was also some positive comments made. After a while the request must have numbed many of the members of the board, pro and con, and now most of the requests receive minimal response but new people to the board keep coming on and asking the same questions.

What I would like to do with this post is have every one, those against and those who have positive things to say, to post their opinions, and most importantly, their experiences with frame swaps. If every one would contribute we could use this thread to steer those who are contemplating this procedure to a central resource. I know a person can do a search of the board but many people either don't think about doing this or they're new and aren't able to search the board. The main reason most of the people are asking is because they're new and may not realize this subject has been broached a thousand times.

Even if you're a totally against the idea post your reply, this might discourage the new guy who has limited knowledge and skills and prevent him from putting a death trap on the road. Also, if you have attempted a frame swap and have failed or given up, post, we can all learn from others.

Hopefully, we'll get enough replies that the moderator will make this a sticky at the top of the board.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:40 PM
52'F-3
More Turbo

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
bob, i think you have a good idea.

I almost don't want to say this......but; when i read alot of the "how do you do this/that" posts, i think........ "if you have to ask, you probably haven't aquired the skills yet." but i never say it.

anyway i don't see anything wrong with swapping frames, but I like the idea of using the factory one myself, and modify it to do what I want> Box in sections that need added strength. maybe add a whole new(or section) of a front clip. gusset weak areas, fix known(common) problem areas.....

Old 10-03-2008, 07:02 PM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
are you thinking of starting a new frame section sub-forum? or a faq on top of forum? it appears that most new members don't know to look at full list of sub-forums, and aren't aware of previous threads, making it SEEM as though they are not being given enough information up front???? perhaps a different directive before being allowed to post, explaining how forum works? please don't mis-interpret this as if i feel forum is not functioning properly, you would be wrong! just looking at different ways to simplify under standing how forum operates. I agree with 52f-3 on using original frame, but that's a personal decision, not to be held for or against anyone.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:25 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
1972 Ford Torino with 114" wheelbase FTW. Ok, ok, I wouldn't do a frame swap with a 48-52 but in light of frame swaps, there's a local who had a 48 F1 on a Ranger frame. I still haven't got a close look at it, but it looked rather natural. For a 4x4 swap, I'm looking at my 1973 IH 3/4 ton, which has the same track width, just need to make the wheelbase the same...I won't be doing it since my IH frame is toast and I don't have time to pull parts before the JY guy comes to get it. I personally feel grafting suspensions is easier than frame swaps. One exception to this rule is the Crown Vic chassis under a 1967-1972 F100 body. That is the best set-up I have ever seen. With my recently purchased '62 Ford Fairlane, I am looking at a frame swap for this car, and since it is unrelated to Ford trucks, I'll not include my plans.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:10 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't have much to imput on the half tons. I can, however, share my experience with my F-800 project. I have been able to take the frame from a 74 L-8000 dump truck, and since it has the same 34" wide frame width, I was able to transfer the brackets from a 53-55 frame right over to the L-series frame. This has allowed me to make use of the Caterpillar V-8 diesel and the complete drive train and suspension of the L-series tractor truck.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:16 PM
oldskoolford
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i am in the process of putting my 52 F1 on a s10 frame i will agree that it is not something that is easy to do but i think it will be worth it and comming from the minitruck world and wanting to bag the truck it is much eaiser to work with the s10 frame i think if you have decient skills and think it out i will go smooth just plan it out dont just jump in

Old 10-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
A good idea, run with it and let`s see how this thread develops.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:57 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
What I would like to see happen to this thread is that it turns in the place to send the newbies when they post a request for information on frame swaps. If some one pops in and asks if anyone has used this kind of chassis or that kind of chassis one of us can give him the link to this thread. That way the poster doesn't have to wade through literally hundreds of post, some that really don't contain frame swap information. Also, I hope everyone who normally contributes to posts will jump in here. There are a lot of people here that have already gone through all of the problems, there's no reason to reinvent the wheel. Over the years I have seen a lot of information from people who have done frame swaps and I would like to see all that information in one thread. Kind of like a clearing house.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:39 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about this ???

I think the sub forum idea is a good one. Maybe the moderator could make it a sticky to keep it at the top of the list. Sometimes I put a shortcut to a particular thread on my desktop so I can get back to it anytime I want. That might be a good idea for people who want to keep an eye on it and refer back often if you can't get them to make this a sticky.

I have observed a lot of the debates over what frame and/or suspension is best and I have come to the conclusion that there are a lot of factors that determine what is best on a case by case basis. Some guys want a set up for performance and handling, others want 4WD and/or better load carrying capacity. In my case, I like to use what I have available or what I might be able to get very cheap or free. In short, there is no one best solution. To this end, I would like to suggest some sort of data base cross linking truck models, frame options and applications. I think suspension options should be considered also.

I realize the above idea is somewhat of an ambitious project and probably there is not suffecient accomodations on the FTE to accomplish this. This could probably be best accomplished off-site on another domain. I do have space available for such a project if anyone is interested. I haven't done a lot with databases but my wife has. If we could come up with some parameters, I think I could get here interested. This database could also contain active links to specific threads. As a matter of fact, in time it could be expanded to include engines and drive lines.

OK, enough from me. Any other ideas???

Later Folks...

Old 10-04-2008, 10:39 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
Bob,
It might be a good idea to include a list of links to some of the previous frame swap threads. It would save some people from having to completely retype everything they have done.

Maybe some computer savy guy could get that handled...nudge, nudge, wink, wink

Bobby

Old 10-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Hey Bob, I think this is GREAT idea for a thread, and as you said folks need some serious info before jumping into such a project. I've done this ALOT, so for me its not a big deal. I definately dont want to see someone fix one of these trucks up and get hurt cause of some faulty advice. I think if anyone is considering a frame swap they need to evaluate their individual skill level first.

Having said all that to find an ideal choice frame is a large part of a successful frame swap. I've used the Dodge Dakota and a Ranger, and a Crown Vic. several times, but I recently measured and looked at a newer model Chevy Colorado and it would be a good choice too. To modify the wheelbase is no big deal, the track width and frame rail width and ride height is a concern. Basicly if you get down to it, the main thing you'll have to make or modify is the cab mounts and bed mounts, and the front sheetmetal mounting.

When I do a frame swap, I do away with the original pivoting rear cab mounts and use a "donut" type from a late model trucks. I use a 2x4" rectangle tubing and weld some risers from the frame up to it and mount the cab on top of it. This will stabalize the cab greatly, I also cut off the front cab mounts and weld them to the new frame depending on which frame I use?

Houghda did an EXCELLENT job on a Explorer swap, someone should get him involved on here. I'm sure he has some great insight on this subject.

Good job Bob I hope this thread really takes off!

Old 10-04-2008, 11:18 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nathan's Frame Swap:
Mounting a 48-52 F-2/F-3 body onto a 74-79 F-250 Supercab Frame
Old Fords Should Never Die

Old 10-04-2008, 05:09 PM
telefunkken
Senior User
frame swap

57 panel on 79 bronco frame lengthened to 110 inch wb.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:39 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
I used a 72 Chev C10 chassie for my panel. I shortened it 17 inches, and I raised the floor behind the seats 3 inches to accommodate where the frame raises in back. This swap my be easier when doing a panel as the floor being raised is no big deal for me, to someone else who no's, on a pickup 3 inches in depth I don't think would be that big of a deal either, but again that's me, it really depends on what you plan on using the truck for. Now I'm not saying this is the perfect swap as there may be ones better suited but I chose it because of economics and the fact that the frame is also 34 inches wide in the areas of the cab mounts and running board brackets, here 's a picture after I painted it.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:36 PM
telefunkken
Senior User
78-79 bronco uses f-150 platform except back half is flat (no hump ) very similar to 57 panel frame.panel body will bridge low section of frame where driver sits,will fit cab mounts in this area accordingly.i stretched frame with correct length sections of junk 78 rails i had.changing to 4x4 opposed to 2wd is less complicated,no back wall to channel,panel foot wells clear bronco frame with room to spare.ride height will be close to normal.i will send pics -more info asap

Quick Reply: The ultimate frame swap thread-Please everyone contribute