1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Fuel leak at two wire plug housing NEXT to yellow fuel drain valve.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Power Strokeme
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel leak at two wire plug housing NEXT to yellow fuel drain valve.

Noticed a faint smell & small fuel puddle under engine. First thought was the o-rings leaking at yellow fuel drain but instead it's a slow drip coming from this two wire plug next to the fuel drain. It looks like a housing held on by a couple screws and two wires coming out of it. A search tells me the wires are for the fuel heater and possibly water in fuel sensor. Wires look like red/tan stripe and the other tan/red stripe, hard to tell for sure. Am I on the right track here, has anybody else had this problem and how do I fix it? If it is just o-rings what size are they?

Old 10-02-2008, 08:37 PM
jhand124
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it is the fuel bowl heater plug too. I have never fixed one, only unplugged the heater. I think you could get the part from ford or directfordparts.com (site sponsor)

Old 10-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
You're correct on what the wires are for, but this is the first I've heard of a leak there. I thought it was molded into the housing, but if not I would have to guess that the o-rings have gone bad.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:53 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Pictures would be helpful. My first thought was the fuel bowl heater too, but I've never had one of those apart. In case it's the water sensor the o-rings are as follows.

Water in Fuel Sensor (Large) Viton 3/32" 5/16" 1/2" Dash size # -109 Ford part # F81Z-9C065- AA

Water In FuelSensor (Small) Viton 3/32" 3/16" 3/8" Dash size # -106 Ford part #F81Z-9C065-AA

Old 10-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Power Strokeme
Junior User
Originally Posted by F350-6
Pictures would be helpful.
I'd like to show a pic but I have never done it and at the bottom of my screen in the "posting rules" there is a list of things I "may and may not" do and the "may not" is post attachments. Is there any way around this?

Old 10-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Power Strokeme
Junior User
OK, I managed to create a gallery and upload a pic to it. Click my name and then click my gallery and you can see the pic, the leak is coming from the housing to the left of where the screwdriver is resting. It isn't the best pic but there are 2 screws that I can easily see (maybe another one I can't). If I try to remove this is it connected to something inside the filter housing or will it come along "peacefully"?

Old 10-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Well you may be a first. That looks to be the fuel bowl heater connection plug and I don't recall seeing a leak from there. You may be breaking new ground here.

There are several fuel bowl delete folks that may be able to tell you what it can and cannot be based on looking at their unit out of the truck. Mine is still in the truck.

EDIT: IOW bump.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:05 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Hold one, and I will dig up some pics.......

Here you go, the fuel bowl dis-assembled

There is an oring behind the outer plug base, (the one held by two screws) sorry, dont have a pic for that

Old 10-05-2008, 04:32 PM
Power Strokeme
Junior User
Brandon those pics were most helpful, thanks a whole bunch.

I drained the bowl, took out my filter and unplugged the wire from the inside. Then I removed the water in fuel/fuel heater plug. The two o-rings didn't look that bad but the body of the plug was warped and looked like it got hot & cooked. When I was blowing it clean with air I was getting air/fuel blowing through the body. I took pics and have them in my gallery, they show the warpage (is that a word?) on the top side of the plug and the bottom of it still looks good. I now need to get a new part, or, does anyone make a kit to cap it off? I'll do a search on this, right now I want to fix the leak, I don't care about the fuel heater or the water in fuel feature.

Thanks again for the help. As Tenn01PSD350 said I "may be breaking new ground here". Maybe someone else will have this problem and get some good from my "ground breaking".

Old 10-05-2008, 04:36 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
hold one, let me go outside and see if that old fuel bowl is still on my workbench, and I will look at the plug and see if it is any good. If so you may have it. be right back..........

Yep, its out there, and the plug looks good, PM me your address and I will send it out Monday.

No charge, its the FTE Way, If you have something you are not using, pass it on to someone who needs it.

Let me know.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:55 PM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hat's off to you again Brandon. That's what FTE is all about. On points time out or you would be getting a few.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Power Strokeme
Junior User
I'll do that Brandon. Thanks a ton. You rock What is all this about points? I saw where I could click on the scales to add to someones reputation but not sure what I'm doing. How can you check out someones reputation, or what other people have said about them?

Old 10-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Originally Posted by Power Strokeme
I'll do that Brandon. Thanks a ton. You rock What is all this about points? I saw where I could click on the scales to add to someones reputation but not sure what I'm doing. How can you check out someones reputation, or what other people have said about them?
Don't think there's anyway to read what the comments are, but each 100 rep points you receive gets you another green chiclet. When someone with a whole bunch of chiclets awards you with a compliment the more points go towards your 100 points. Now you know as much as I do.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:16 PM
jhand124
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by zx250
Hat's off to you again Brandon. That's what FTE is all about. On points time out or you would be getting a few.
I got him for ya Barry.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:02 AM
togobefastguy
Senior User

yeah mine is leaking also, it is leaking through the plug. it came out easy. i could not find any one that carried it but ford. those mf ers want 140 some odd dollars for the hole unit. it would steam or smoke while it was plugged in. it didn't smell like smoke but sure looked it. i unplugged it and every thing seems fine for now.

Quick Reply: Fuel leak at two wire plug housing NEXT to yellow fuel drain valve.