Rust Bullet = Not Happy!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 11:12 PM
tenforty_2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Rust Bullet = Not Happy!

First of all, I called them with a question and had to leave a message with the call center because they had not opened yet (no problem). They never called me back! My frame is down to the metal so I went ahead and made the decision to buy the product based on information from thier site and FTE. I ordered two quarts of the black shell. The package showed up today with one quart! WTF?? If this is any indication of their product I don't want to put it on my truck!

Old 10-02-2008, 03:40 PM
Carlene
Admom
Received 188 Likes on 116 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I've asked one of the Admin guys to check into this for you.

Please be a little patient as this seem to be a real busy time for all of us on FTE.

Thanks.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:51 PM
tenforty_2
Senior User
Originally Posted by Carlene
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I've asked one of the Admin guys to check into this for you.

Please be a little patient as this seem to be a real busy time for all of us on FTE.

Thanks.
Thanks for your help! They called me today and said, "sorry we will mail the other quart." I know that things like this do happen with no bad intent. Still not real pleased with their response.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Carlene
Admom
Hey Kirk, look at the bright side - you can only use one quart at a time.
Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I'm glad that you heard back from them and I hope they made things right. BTW, what project are you working on, the frame of that 79 in your sig?

Old 10-02-2008, 04:03 PM
tenforty_2
Senior User
Originally Posted by Carlene
Hey Kirk, look at the bright side - you can only use one quart at a time.
Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I'm glad that you heard back from them and I hope they made things right. BTW, what project are you working on, the frame of that 79 in your sig?
You got a good point! Yea doing the 79 frame.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:49 PM
tenforty_2
Senior User
UPDATE:

They sent the other can along with a rust bullet t-shirt! They are just too cool!

Old 11-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Duke78
Senior User
DUDE WAIT!!!!

If you are just putting Black Shell, alone, on your frame i think you're making a mistake. Black shell is not meant to provide the same protection as RB Automotive.

I researched this stuff a ton before i used it myself, the black shell is really intended to cover the automotive coating which chemically reacts with rust and provides an encapsulating coating. The balck shell is a hard outer coating to protect against chipping.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:13 PM
tenforty_2
Senior User
Originally Posted by Duke78
DUDE WAIT!!!!

If you are just putting Black Shell, alone, on your frame i think you're making a mistake. Black shell is not meant to provide the same protection as RB Automotive.

I researched this stuff a ton before i used it myself, the black shell is really intended to cover the automotive coating which chemically reacts with rust and provides an encapsulating coating. The balck shell is a hard outer coating to protect against chipping.
This was the question that I had and never got an answer from rust bullet. I found the answer to this question on FTE. The shorter version of this issue is that I now have one quart of RB auto and one quart of black shell. Thanks for your advice! I take it you have used RB? How did you apply it? I am thinking of airless.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:08 AM
Duke78
Senior User
I applied it with an El Cheapo, husky gravity fed gun, because i'd rather ruin a $40 gun then a $140 gun.

You have to be very careful when using this stuff. Safety first wear at least a half mask respirator with the correct filters. Your eyes will pay the most price so wear some goggles and any exposed skin cover it up. I wore a head sock and put tape on any exposed skin on my face. I wore chem resist gloves and duct taped them to my jacket so nothing would get on my skin.

This stuff is nasty, i still got some on my skin, and it finally wore off weeks later.

As for your method, airless, probably would work and do fine. This stuff cuts with Acetone, so run a bunch of Acetone through the gun first to get all of the moisture out. Then strain the RB, it's thicker than regular paint, and shoot.

Clean up is the worst, be prepared, set it up so you have room to tear down your gun and get to soaking with acetone, it doesn't take long for it to set up and is then nearly impossible to remove.

The other concern is surface prep, go over the surface with a wax and grease remover like Eastwoods PRE, and then Acetone.

Any moisture, grease or dirt will affect the adhesion.

Here is the forum where some of my pictures are, it's too early in the morning to upload more.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...-bed-pics.html

Old 11-04-2008, 04:48 PM
tenforty_2
Senior User
Thanks for the advice! I have read the instructions 100 times and been all over their website looking for answers before I start. How do you suggest applying the black shell over the RB? Should I apply it like a third coat (two coats of RB and then black)? This would mean applying it before the RB cures all of the way. So I would apply RB wait 2 hrs, apply coat 2 of RB, wait 2 hrs and apply black shell, wait 2 hrs and apply the final coat. The instructions are not clear on this.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:53 PM
Duke78
Senior User
First of all i wouldn't go by a specific time. Get yourself an old scrap piece of metal and spray it, then spray your truck. When it comes time to check the paint check the scrap piece. If you can touch the paint and remove a clean gloved finger then you can recoat. Actually though RB is forgiving in this respect it has a logarithmic cure time totaling ~72 hrs, the recoat window is ~24hrs. I applied the 2 coats of RB ~4 hrs apart, based on humidity and the cure of the first coat. I applied 2 coats of Black shell, the same manner, 24hrs after the second coat.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:52 PM
tenforty_2
Senior User
Update

I wanted to update this post with some photos. I am very pleased with the final outcome!

Old 02-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Carlene
Admom
That looks great and thanks for the update.