Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 F-150 4X4 Fuel filter Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 10:33 AM
FizzleBent
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 F-150 4X4 Fuel filter Help

anyone lead me in the right directions? My f-150 (95) need to replace fuel filter. Are there any procedures I should follow in doing this? Disconnect battery? Disconnect fuel relay switch? Any suggestion in this regard would be very appreciated. Thanks Guys!

Fizzle

Old 09-30-2008, 10:43 AM
sp metalman
Junior User
Make sure you have the special tool to unlock the filter from the fuel lines their are some cheap plastic ones or you can spend around $20 bucks and bye the metal one which can be used as long as you have the truck the fuel filter should be in the frame on the drivers side of the truck about wheir the bed and cab meet the only other thing is to take off the gas cap to help releive the pressure on the line wear some safety glasses or goggles while taking the lines off the filter because their will still be some pressure on them and gas might get in your eyes.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:44 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
Just wait to do it until your truck has been sitting for a while so there isn't pressure on the fuel system. You can also release the pressure from the shrader valve on the fuel rail under the hood. You will probably need a special tool to remove the old filter. Orielly, Advance, Autozone etc should have them. I find that the plastic circular ones work best. The metal one works too. You have to put the tool around the fuel line and push it into the back of the fitting/connector at the fuel filter. The first time you have to fool with this it kinda sucks, but after that its not that hard to do. Here are links to Avance Auto website for the tools.

While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at PartsAmerica.com

While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at PartsAmerica.com

Old 09-30-2008, 10:46 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by FizzleBent
anyone lead me in the right directions? My f-150 (95) need to replace fuel filter. Are there any procedures I should follow in doing this? Disconnect battery? Disconnect fuel relay switch? Any suggestion in this regard would be very appreciated. Thanks Guys!

Fizzle
Pull out the fuel pump relay (or fuse) and start the engine, run it until it dies.
Use a good disconnect tool, not many posters have any luck using the scissor. They do not seam to go in far enough to release the spring.
I like the round plastic ones.
Spray WD-40 into the connection, twist the line back and forth to make sure the "O" ring is free.
Push in on the line, while holding it in push the release tool in all the way. While holding the tool all the way in pull the line off, you may have to pull a little harder than you think you need to.
If you get the release tabs bent backwards then you will have to release it with a very small screw driver and you can get a new spring tab thing at an auto parts store.
Try something like this:

or

/

Old 09-30-2008, 10:46 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
I guess we posted at the same time.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:48 AM
FizzleBent
New User
Do i have to unscrew the housing that the filter sits in to remove filter? Or will it pop out of housing? Thanks!

Old 09-30-2008, 01:24 PM
BCHauler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why not tell him how to relieve the fuel pressure with the inertia switch? That's the standard method...

Behind the kick panel on the passengers side of the cab is a red button. Using a small screwdriver pry the button up and then start the truck. It should run for a few seconds and then die. Crank it a few more times to relieve the last of the fuel pressure and then you can work on the fuel filter. Don't forget to depress the red button when you're done or the truck won't run.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:42 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by BCHauler
Why not tell him how to relieve the fuel pressure with the inertia switch? That's the standard method...

Behind the kick panel on the passengers side of the cab is a red button. Using a small screwdriver pry the button up and then start the truck. It should run for a few seconds and then die. Crank it a few more times to relieve the last of the fuel pressure and then you can work on the fuel filter. Don't forget to depress the red button when you're done or the truck won't run.
Because it is easier to just pull the fuel pump relay or fuse then it is to get to the inertia switch and it works the same.