1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

56 F100 stuck king pins

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 08:31 PM
flcobra
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
56 F100 stuck king pins

hello, i got an old 56 f100 basket case pulled from a swamp home and started tinkering with it. No matter what i do i can not get the king pins out, they seem just rusted in. Ive never worked on a truck with a king pin front end so im not sure im even doing it right.
i removed the swedge bolt on the side of the spindal (had to drill it out)
removed the grease zirts
put a socket on a jack on the under side of the king pin and lifted, nothing, hit on the axle with pressure on underside of king pin, nothing, tryed to drive king pin down, nothing, air chisiled the cap (?) on the top of king pin, it came off but no movement of king pin.
Am i doing somthing wrong? Does the king pin come up or drive down? My next option is some heat and try to burn rust and junk loose.

Can someone point me to some instructions on how to remove king pins.
anyone with any tips for stuck ones?
thanks guys
rob

Old 09-29-2008, 09:04 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Press or heat...

Originally Posted by flcobra
hello, i got an old 56 f100 basket case pulled from a swamp home and started tinkering with it. No matter what i do i can not get the king pins out, they seem just rusted in.

Can someone point me to some instructions on how to remove king pins.
anyone with any tips for stuck ones?
thanks guys
rob
It sounds like you may have to remove the axel and have them pressed out on a big hydraulic press. I don't know if you have tried it, but heat helps. I had a two ton dump truck that I had to use a rosebud tip with an oxyacetylene torch on. I heated the end on the axel until it was cherry red and then drove the pins out. Be fore warned, it aint easy and it takes two people to do it right.

Later Man...

Old 09-30-2008, 01:06 PM
irondragon79
Posting Guru
All I can say is heat and a big hammer

Old 09-30-2008, 01:27 PM
rcav8or
If you use it, SUPPORT IT
This is strange - I've posted about 5 times to this thread, it shows up, then disappears...any ideas? Not sure if this one will make it...

R

Old 09-30-2008, 01:29 PM
rcav8or
Heat on the axle - not good! You don't want to lose any of the strength, and heat can do that. My kingpins came out the bottom, once I got the "cap" off. I used a brass drift to break it loose, than a good air chisel, that I modified a bit to fit the kingpin. Make sure you use Kroil, or PB Blaster, and spray it down good, top, bottom, and in the retainer pin hole. A LITTLE heat doesn't hurt, but cherry red, IN MY OPINION, is WAY too hot for the axle. Once it "breaks loose", it'll come out fairly easily. The pin itself is VERY hard, so you don't have to worry about giving it a very solid "whack" - it won't deform, so it should come out...

If you are using heat, here's what another forum says about it:

If you're kingpins don't budge at first, you can start applying heat to the axle (not the spindle) being careful not to get it cherry-hot which could affect the temper of the steel, and attempt to drive the kingpin out using your BFH. You might find you'll have to break out the Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster and soak the heck out of everything and just letting it set for a day or so before trying it again.
And, yet another:

Anyhow, after the retaining bolts come out, comes the fun. Place the truck axle on jackstands. Place a bottle jack with a bolt smaller than the kingpin diameter on the top of the jack and jack up the truck just slightly off the jackstand -- about a quarter of an inch. Now comes the the good part ------ WHAM-WHAM--WHAM --- @#$$%*&^^^%& KINGPINS!!!! WHAM ----- tink -- a baby sledge right to the side of the axle -- away from the grease fittings.

I have NEVER heated an axle. I let the weight of the truck help push the old kingpins out. So far, it has worked every time -- that's about 80 or so kingpins.
You'll love it when it's done! Just make sure the bushings are bored together, I have a ream to do it, but I'd probably take it to a machine shop, next time. Let THEM guarantee the work...

R

Old 09-30-2008, 01:32 PM
rcav8or
Ah!!! I can't believe it's true, but it appears if you mention the actual name of a different forum, it removes the post!! Can that be??? I removed the actual name, and put "another forum" instead, and the post stood.

It's not like it's a competition! And, here I touted supporting FTE, even to the point of not only losing friends, but even making enemies...can someone verify that this is a correct assumption??

If so, time to rethink things...

R

Old 09-30-2008, 02:23 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rcav8or
Ah!!! I can't believe it's true, but it appears if you mention the actual name of a different forum, it removes the post!! Can that be??? I removed the actual name, and put "another forum" instead, and the post stood.

It's not like it's a competition! And, here I touted supporting FTE, even to the point of not only losing friends, but even making enemies...can someone verify that this is a correct assumption??

R

I believe I have mentioned other forums before and not had that problem. Of course it could be the work of a moderator I guess but I can't think of a good reason for it.

Later Man...

Old 09-30-2008, 02:25 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
This is strange - I've posted about 5 times to this thread, it shows up, then disappears...any ideas? Not sure if this one will make it...

R

It may be another problem because I kept getting e-mails telling me of your post but there was nothing there.

later Man...

Old 09-30-2008, 02:32 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Heat on the axle - not good! You don't want to lose any of the strength, and heat can do that. R

Maybe I should have claified that a bit. It the case of that old dump truck we had to go that far even using a 2# hammer. So long as the heat is directed to the immediate area around the king pin it won't hurt it that much. We hauled loads way in excess of recommended limits with that truck for years and NEVER had any problem. However, I do agree with you that you should never use more heat than needed because I'm sure there hase to be some minimal effect no matter what you do. Keep in mind that a dump truck is going to be a lot nastier job than a panel or pick-up trock.

Later Man...

Old 09-30-2008, 07:01 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Sorry folks

FTE staff..do not place that site on FTE

R
Hmmm, it worked that time.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:51 PM
rcav8or
Three hours later, it appears! Sorry folks, for the intrusion!!!! I didn't plan on it. Now, back to the regular programming....

R

Old 10-01-2008, 04:35 AM
big job
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
Dont fell bad, every time I post a reply, the poor guys thread dissapears, so lately,
I keep my mouth shut. !!!!!!!!!!!!!
sam

Old 10-01-2008, 08:14 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
If you heat to less than 450 degrees, you are safe. That is way below any color, but obviously too hot to touch. It will coke up any oil you did get into the space around the pin.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:38 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru

R
Roger,
I sent you a PM just now about this.

This morning I got an e-mail claiming to be fro the FTE staff telling me not to post that forum's name. I don't mind telling you I was hot. O sent them a reply telling them I didn't post it and only replied to a post that did.

I wrote to the moderator about it. I guess we will see how that goes. I agree with you. Maybe it's time a lot of us did some rethinking when it's time to contribute.

Later Man...

Old 10-01-2008, 01:01 PM
flcobra
New User
hey guy thanks!!! i tried to post all day and it would not work..
I did get them out. Had to use some heat and a big hammer, did the trick.
thanks for the replys!!!
rob

Quick Reply: 56 F100 stuck king pins