N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Sick of grinding

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 01:12 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Sick of grinding

Last week I welded in all but four of the trim/cab-light holes in my new cab before I ran out of time. I will fill in those last four this week. I counted them-- there are a total of 29 holes that I will need to grind down and then smooth out when I am done. I worked on 10 of the easiest ones to get to this weekend.

I was worried about warping the metal around each hole by grinding for too long of stretches so I had to skip around. Here are a few things I learned:
1. Get ear plugs- I can handle the noise for a while, but after many minutes, it gets old.

2. It is amazing how many different directions the sparks can go. I almost set my interior on fire when I shot a few hundred sparks into an open window.

3. Wear safety glasses or a face shield and a long sleeve shirt (See number 2. for why)

4. My hands felt pretty tired after grinding for about 45 minutes straight.

I am pretty sure I will learn many more things when I get to the last 19 or so holes left. The tough ones are the 15 of them along the cab top where the *&##ing cab lights were. I am guessing I will need to stand on the narrow front bed rail while leaning way over the cab to get to them. I am going to be very glad when this is done. It is not the most glamorous part of restoration.

I shall make a big promise. I am going to throw a big party for when I get this truck painted and back together! You are all invited to come over and marvel and/or mock my restoration skills.

Karl

Old 09-29-2008, 09:24 PM
mcculloughrp
Senior User
I typically do that as well. It seems I learn things the hard way more often than not. But I ask you, is there a better way to learn? Hopefully I will be able to make it this time.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:15 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the least glamorous part of body work. I suppose it's good thing you didn't decide to chemically strip it down to bare metal...I would have to say that's the one thing I've done on a vehicle that I hate more than anything else.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:34 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Hey Dan, I have plenty to share if you want to do some grinding!

Old 10-03-2008, 12:19 AM
SanFORDf100
Junior User
i feel your pain! i removed all the emblems, funky mirrors, bed tie-downs, etc. 32 holes in all. Not to mention having to cut 3 feet out of the bed side to pound out the 2.5 foot dent that i couldnt get to any other way. My grinder and i are on a time-out.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:50 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SanFORDf100
i feel your pain! i removed all the emblems, funky mirrors, bed tie-downs, etc. 32 holes in all. Not to mention having to cut 3 feet out of the bed side to pound out the 2.5 foot dent that i couldnt get to any other way. My grinder and i are on a time-out.
I can feel the pain of grinding the filled holes down, but the cutting out the 3 feet of bed sounds really bad.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:32 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
There will be no mocking from me. At least you are willing (?) and able to do your own body work on the truck. Back in the early to mid 80's I thought about learning bodywork and painting, and when I found out how much prep was involved before laying down a decent paint job, I knew I did not have the patience for that. So I chose to be more of a mechanic than a body man.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:23 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
All but four holes are ground down and awaiting body filler and primer. I have four trim holes on the cab that I will weld shut next week. During the sunny times today, I go out and sand, fill, sand, fill and try to get the holes leveled out. I actually like this part.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:46 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fastmover
...I actually like this part.
I always thought there was something a bit odd about you...

Old 10-09-2008, 03:20 AM
Mecinoid
Elder User
I think Karl has some stress to relieve. That is why he like the sound and power of the grinder. Then again it's probably just the way it makes him feel.

Kinda reminds me of the Tool Time Band where the guys are using different tools to play rock tunes if I remember it right. That show killed me.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:41 AM
iggybob44
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Most of what i own isnt worthy of that kind of time spent on body work(thats assuming that i knew how to do body work),possibly the old International may get me to try a little crude body work,since the 59-60 IH's were kinda unique in styling. If i were to use a grinder on one of the Fords,it would likely be to get clean metal to attach a ground to....