Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not satisfied with quality of answers,please read

Old 09-28-2008, 01:57 PM
iggybob44
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not satisfied with quality of answers,please read

I stuck up a similar thread on the 67-72 forum a while back,and ive seen some trends here lately that warrant a post here on this same subject! There have been several posts as of late that have had questions that lacked enough detail for others here to answer them intelligently or in a helpful manner! These questions often received either short answers,no answers, sarcastic answers,or more questions than answers! Those who have posted these questions have then taken offense at the quality/quantity of said answers,and have gotten PO's when they didnt find answers to there liking! This could be solved,for the most part,by taking the time to post a question that is as complete and detailed as is possible. For the most part,the majority of us here arent gifted with Psychic ability,mind reading skill,nor do we possess a Crystal ball! SO,please take a little extra time,compose your questions thoughtfully,tell us what your problem is,or what you are trying to do,give us all the details you can,and then,for the most part you should get decent answers! Be patient,its entirely possible that nobody has expertise in this issue ,and is online at any given moment,so responses may take a little time! Please also consider,after you have gotten some responses,letting those who answered you know you have received there responses,an occasional thanks doesnt hurt! Keep us in the loop,let us know if you have found these answers helpful,and if they resolved your questions/problems! Take a look through this site,look at various threads,you may just notice that those who post either poorly detailed,unclear,or even what i would refer to as "lazy" questions,often times get poorly detailed,unclear,or Lazy answers............... Does this seem reasonable to many,or am i being arrogant,and do i have a bad attitude,you be the judge!

Old 09-28-2008, 03:15 PM
Truckin4life
Street Queen to the extr3m3
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i read the post in the 67-72 section. i agreed there and i agree here....
I posted something much shorter but still kinda the same in the newb thread too.....

Old 09-28-2008, 03:58 PM
iggybob44
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It sounds like we need to post similarly in other forums,maybe those people will finally get it!

Old 09-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Truckin4life
Yea... I will post it up where i see necesary....

Old 09-28-2008, 04:29 PM
BillC
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very well said!

Old 09-28-2008, 07:14 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
iggy, that was well thought out and written... kudos!

theres nothing more irritating than when someone asks a generic question about 'their' truck with no details in their sig regarding said truck and they fail to post even a year or model. THEN they leave and never update the thread, lol

anywho... good thoughts.

-cutts-

Old 09-28-2008, 07:26 PM
Truckin4life
i dont mind if they leave and never update the thread....
But when they come back and get mad cause they didnt get any answers or they got very generic answers, or answers they didnt want to hear...

That gets old quick....

You want to hear your 302 is making 500 horses.. Ok....

Your 302 is making 500 horses.....
Btw. IM LYING!

Old 09-28-2008, 09:06 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
What most people do not understand is there are not 500 people sitting here at any given moment ready to answer a question.

People have to get home from work and sit down to the computer before they can answer a question.
This gets compounded by where they are located.
If someone asks a question at say 1 PM EDT, and the answer is from a person that gets off work at 5 PM PDT, they probably won't get an answer till 10 or 11 PM EDT.

I do agree though, a quality question with all relevant info will get a quality answer a lot faster than a question like " My truck will not go into 4 high, what is wrong?"

You also have to remember that new users can not have a signature until they have at least 25 posts.
And then after they have 25 posts, someone usually has to walk them through posting a signature.

I think about 10% of the new people that come to a forum actually read the stickies.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:58 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Dave Sponaugle
You also have to remember that new users can not have a signature until they have at least 25 posts.
And then after they have 25 posts, someone usually has to walk them through posting a signature.
Well thats just stupid! why am i not surprised? can you explain why?

i agree about the stickies, thats why i have never pushed them. heck i never read them. you just skip right over them to get to the meat of the discussions.

-cutts-

Old 09-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Truckin4life
I would guess so they have some kind of incentive to post more... And to prove that they arent spammers....

Old 09-28-2008, 10:05 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Truckin4life
I would guess so they have some kind of incentive to post more... And to prove that they arent spammers....
ok... then you have people who randomly post 25 times to get the sig feature.

if they are a spammer, delete the post and ban the name... plain and simple! works for other sites!

-cutts-

Old 09-28-2008, 10:29 PM
Truckin4life
true.....
I see your point....
Anybody have any reasons as to the 25 post thing?

Old 09-28-2008, 11:21 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remember to use paragraphs, especially on something over four lines, question, answer, or comment.

Otherwise people reading it get 1/2 way through and lose interest and never read to the end or fall asleep.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:00 AM
Blue Bomber
Elder User
i read the stickies, i usually find something ive never seen before. i can see how some of the replys are a little short, but i just ask about what ever is unanswered. all-in-all i think this is the greatest forum ive ever been on, but i suppose there is always room for improvement. thanks to everyone who makes this such great site.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:53 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The no signature till 25 post limit is a vBulletin thing.

The old version had the same limit as I remember, but that has been a while back and quite a few posts ago.

Long time ago when I was driving truck for a living I asked an old timer mechanic if I could ask him a stupid question.

To this day I have never forgot his answer.

"There are no stupid questions, when you ask a question you are trying to learn something. Learning something new is not and never will be stupid. The stupid questions are the ones you don't ask, you never learn that answer."

I have found people learn different ways.
Some people will learn from other people by asking questions.
Some people learn by watching other people make mistakes.
And some people have to make the mistake themselves before they learn.

Generally, if they learn the third way, how well they learn is usually dictated by the cost of the repair to fix what they learned.
And I have also found, several lessons that had high dollar values on the repair, usually causes them to be able to learn in one of the first two methods after that.

People are funny creatures.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Not satisfied with quality of answers,please read