General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

How to catch a scared cat?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 07:20 PM
MichelleF-250
Lead Driver
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
I don't know what else to try. I wish you the very best to get your cat. Please let us know when you get him.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:26 PM
Bill W
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glenn, just keep food and water out for the cat and he or she will come around soon enough.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:33 PM
Buck 1
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it is a wire trap you are out of luck. Best bet is to get a dog crate, which has solid plastic sides, and put his blanket inside. Leave it in the garage, open, with a piece of fresh fish with a strong odor (cod is great). Within a day he'll be in the crate, full, and curled up on his blanket. Been there, did this at the suggestion of the local Humane Society, and it worked great. For some reason cats don't want to enter a wire cage, so the Have-A-Heart traps don't do well. Let us know how you make out!

Old 09-28-2008, 09:45 PM
quaddriver
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kepler4
You are obviously too ignorant to have read his entire post. Read the last line and save your pet killing comments for your own thread.
'scuse me, I have 2 cats.

but the method will work. lol

Old 09-29-2008, 07:20 AM
GlennFordx4
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by pmasley
That might just work. One idea for you, cover the trap with a blanket and make it dark inside. He might feel more secure going into it with it dark.

Until last night we were doing that,we take part in a county program and trap feral cats in the neighborhood to get them fixed, get there shots and release them so we do know most of the tricks but ferals are so much easier to catch. We have never had such a hard time trying to catch a cat before this. I was thinking of building a cardboard box big enough to fit the trap in and get some tuna in oil and pouring the oil inside the box with the trap.

I don't think the dog crate thing will work with him as he really wants no part of us at this time so I can't get near him but he is staying in my yard so he knows where home is and he is getting hungry.

I want to thank all that replyed.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:46 AM
pmasley
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I will tell you a possible trick. I used this on a horse but it might work. Go outside, do not approach. Set up a chair and get a book or something that you can peer over and above all don't act suspicious. Eat things that it likes. Tuna, Chicken but do not offer, but set it aside, withing reach of both of you. If it appraoches, do not move. Let it have some. This has worked for me as follows.

We had a horse that was extremely scared. It had been abused by the previous owner. I just ignored it for several days, eating apples and oranges. Finally, it could not stand it any longer and had to come over to see what I was doing. I never moved a hand. It finally pushed me off the chair in an attempt to get my attention. As I sat on the ground, it put it's nose in my face. Within a few days, I had a bridle on her and was leading her around. Two years later, my daughter took first place with her at the WV State Fair. There is a proud family that now owns her in upper state New York.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:08 AM
GlennFordx4
Posting Guru
I will tell you a possible trick. I used this on a horse but it might work. Go outside, do not approach. Set up a chair and get a book or something that you can peer over and above all don't act suspicious. Eat things that it likes. Tuna, Chicken but do not offer, but set it aside, withing reach of both of you. If it appraoches, do not move. Let it have some. This has worked for me as follows.

We had a horse that was extremely scared. It had been abused by the previous owner. I just ignored it for several days, eating apples and oranges. Finally, it could not stand it any longer and had to come over to see what I was doing. I never moved a hand. It finally pushed me off the chair in an attempt to get my attention. As I sat on the ground, it put it's nose in my face. Within a few days, I had a bridle on her and was leading her around. Two years later, my daughter took first place with her at the WV State Fair. There is a proud family that now owns her in upper state New York.

That is to funny my mother did the same thing with a horse and a dog and I did think about it,What I did not say before is on the second day he did come to me and I wasn't prepared for him (no shirt or shoes on) and he let me pick him up and as soon as I took a step he freaked out bad and tore me up a bit so he is a little leary about coming near me but I might go out and eat breakfast outside this morning as he is out there stalking birds.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:32 PM
GlennFordx4
Posting Guru
Well after working in the garage today and drinking a few Mike's hard lime's I built a custom Buggs Bunny box trap out of a very large storage tote I mounted a 10lb weight to it with a 1/4" rope that runs to my kitchen window I put a sock filled with cat food and tuna in it and under the whole thing is a very lite bed spread. After it is dark I will sit and wait for him and see what happens,I want to film it but tyhe only video camera I have might need more light. Wish me Luck.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:38 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Kepler4
You are obviously too ignorant to have read his entire post. Read the last line and save your pet killing comments for your own thread.
Actually, I'm a cat lover, and I was going to say "A gun works wonders" ...

It's a joke, get it?

Anyway, food, especially the smelliest, the stuff he likes the most, works great.

What I'd do, since he was a house cat, is leave the screen door open, the inside door open, and put his favorite food right inside the door. And do NOT try to catch him while he's near the door

Wait until he's curled up on the couch or something.

Besides that, the have-a-heart trap with his favorite food works too... or it will, if you wait long enough.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Find a cat in heat to attract him. Not sure how you do that though...

Maybe you could get some real slutty female cats, dress 'em up in high heels and stuff and see they can get him to come (no pun intended) back in the house.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:04 AM
GlennFordx4
Posting Guru
Bear's in

Got up this morning and he was in the wire trap hunger finally got to him,we gave him the once over and let him out of the trap and he is acting like nothing happened didn't run and hide but instead came right to us and wanted to be pet. I know my Buggs Bunny box trap would have got him today if he didn't go in the wire trap

Again I would like to thank all for their suggestions.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:07 AM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad to hear it.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:10 AM
pmasley
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Glenn, I am glad that you caught the critter. Guess he just wanted to be outdoors for a few days.

Hunger usually get a guy after a while.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:58 AM
GlennFordx4
Posting Guru
I wanted to post a photo of my Box trap that now has to be dismantled and I need to get rid of that nasty sock full of roastbeef and catfood scraps.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:11 AM
GlennFordx4
Posting Guru
Heres a shot of bear this morning laying next to my computer chair as I type,he is being very friendly and none of the other cats want anything to do with him.

Quick Reply: How to catch a scared cat?