Sinclair BioDiesel in Las Vegas Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 11:52 PM
jmaskew
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by lowell75
Nova Biosource Fuels Applauds Biodiesel Blender Tax Credit Extension | PR Newswire | Find Articles at BNET

and I suppose you are not aware of the difference between tax deduction and tax credit
either.... Wow all this for domestically produced B2!! such a deal thank you Washington!!!
Great article, it's about time the government gives an incentive to produce Home Brew Biodiesel! My truck really likes the B2!

Old 12-08-2008, 06:40 PM
rrrrick
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Las Vegas plant to be replaced by larger facility - Biodiesel Magazine

Here is a link to that large bio diesel plant in Vegas, it is next to the shredding machine for Silver Dollar recycling.
There was another article in one of those weekly papers where someone was concerned about the plant being "near" their house because they are bringing methanol in by the 10,000 gal train tanker

Old 12-09-2008, 10:00 AM
uliman
Senior User
Originally Posted by rrrrick
Las Vegas plant to be replaced by larger facility - Biodiesel Magazine

Here is a link to that large bio diesel plant in Vegas, it is next to the shredding machine for Silver Dollar recycling.
There was another article in one of those weekly papers where someone was concerned about the plant being "near" their house because they are bringing methanol in by the 10,000 gal train tanker

Good news! now we just have to find a way to get access to this bio when it comes online

Old 12-10-2008, 12:09 PM
lowell75
Senior User
Originally Posted by jmaskew
Great article, it's about time the government gives an incentive to produce Home Brew Biodiesel! My truck really likes the B2!
Fueled for Thought

If you all go back aways in Kumars' blog you all maybe get a little history lesson! In the not to distant past he was actually making a little money for his and his backers efforts.... In August 2007 his operation collected 30,000 gal of WVO. Is he now going to become a dinosaur because he can't use all those tax credits? Whats going to happen to Verasun Corp...Of Brookings SDak ? Its obviously going to hurt a few farmers wealth.... as well as other Wall Street Investors. Most here won't remember er the Sugar Beet fiasco that happened in SDak-Wyo along time back. Most likely there will be parallels that can be drawn!

I have relitives in Spearfish so I get thru the area once and a while...the one most recently heading west on Highway 50 "which didn't use to be a back road". Stoping in I believe Wagner local farmers' co-op seeing an E85 pump and being able to buy biodiesel in 5 gal buckets! wow

I currently own four vehicles three being diesel (which of course gives me a chance to play with putting something other than dino in the tank) ,and to this point I've probably have owned thirty or so. I havn't been on a new car lot in decades! I betcha to use Palin sounding language I could not find an E85 motor on any of them here in 96001 land! Energy independant...bs.

OPEC & the speculator crowd are looking to start gouging you again real soon! You do have to drive to work dontcha? I'm a retired capitalist not speculator so don't blame me when you can't afford higher fuel prices! Credit whats that? I have cut back back approx 40% on petro usage in the last three years! But I'm now driving quite a bit again ( ten thousand miles+ in the last three months at approx thirty mpg) sence you all aren't and the prices are down for a while.

The USA neeeds to make this energy indendance thing fly cause the printing more dollars or bonds is a road well traveled unsuccesfully. With any luck I personaly will get over the hill leaving money in the bank .... nice to not need it all and certainly not giving it all to opec to fill ones tank!

More noise later maybe.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:39 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jmaskew
There is NO incentive $$$ for homebrewers. The tax credit goes ONLY to "blenders" ( read oil companys). The biodiesel producer get's nothing unless they also blend the bio with dino-diesel.................

Old 12-11-2008, 11:41 AM
carwebco
New User
Exclamation BioDiesel Distributor

I hope you guys don't mind my contribution. Since 2005, there has been a lower sulphur requirement in diesel #2 grade, or commercial diesel.

Grade # 1 is B99. Biodiesel. B2, or 2% blend of biodiesel, improves the lubricity in your 1994 to 2007 diesels in the US. This means that there will be less wear, and longevity in your engine due to this lubricity that biodiesel brings to the blend. With B20, you start to improve fuel emissions by up to 80% by using B99. to top off your vehicle.

The negatives to B20 and higher blends is that on the first go around your
filters will become clogged by the cleansing property of the Biodiesel. That
means to expect a filter replacement maintenance. Once the engine is
clean, it will run fine on up to a B99. blend. The 1% blend of commercial #2
and higher, (as in topping off being ok) with B99% Biodiesel (diesel grade #1), probably helps to allow the bio to have a better use in lower temperatures.

All in all, The gallon of biodiesel, US manufactured and sold is a better patriotic strategy than buying commercial diesel #2. The Biodiesel pollutes
a lot less, adds lubricity to the current low sulphur (environmental issues) diesel since 2005, as well as cleaning the engine of deposits. B99. can be used without alteration on most 1994 to 2007 diesels.

My company is offering to partner to be a mobile biodiesel station for fleets
of diesels. Let me know if you have an interest. I'm in San Diego, CA. and
in Wake County in NC.

Last edited by carwebco; 12-11-2008 at 11:47 AM. Reason: menaing of post
Old 12-11-2008, 09:26 PM
jmaskew
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
There is NO incentive $$$ for homebrewers. The tax credit goes ONLY to "blenders" ( read oil companys). The biodiesel producer get's nothing unless they also blend the bio with dino-diesel.................
Sorry... I should have said Domestic. If the Government is going to give an incentive such as a tax credit for using blended Bio-diesel for Domestically produced Bio-diesel, well I guess that is a start in a positive direction for our country. Doesn't the State of California require people that transport WVO, etc to have a permit and pay a tax or something like that? I remember hearing something to that nature a while back. It always seems like when you get a great idea for saving yourself money or making a little money the Government has to step in and spoil it! What do you do? Maybe you guy's who produce your own 100% Biodiesel can become suppliers for these "Blenders" that are getting the tax credit incentives?? I don't know... everyday you turn around and there's a new obstacle to get over!

Old 12-12-2008, 01:10 PM
uliman
Senior User
The negatives to B20 and higher blends is that on the first go around your
filters will become clogged by the cleansing property of the Biodiesel. That
means to expect a filter replacement maintenance.

I can definitely attest to this; I ran B5 for about 3,000 miles and my filter was very clogged when I changed it; probably should not have let it go that long using bio for the first time.

Appreciate your input by the way; hope your bio endeavors work out for both you and us generally.