6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Better Than Banks??

Old 09-26-2008, 04:33 PM
tylerp
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Better Than Banks??

I am considering a tuner system, but i have gained alot of interest in the spartan tunes...
would that be better than the banks 6 gun tuner??

also, with the spartan, would i just need to buy ANY tuner for the 6.0 and download the spartan tune??
if i go that route, can i download an econ. tune and a more aggressive tune for "play time"????
or would that require a tuner that has mult. setting options???

one of the guys i work with has a tuner for the 6.0, he sold the truck, but he said that he would sell it to me cheap, so i wonder if it would work for the spartan tune... i dont know the brand name or anything...
i think it was a 03 or 04 truck...

Old 09-26-2008, 07:15 PM
Nice Work Truck
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a 03 6.0 that I put a 6 gun in but now I have an 07 with a SCT Livewire with tunes from Spartan. The SCT is leaps and bounds better than the 6-gun. It can tune the tranny along with the 6.0 . I got it from Innovative Diesel (who is also very good) and then I got tunes from Spartan. Just make sure you get gauges!! My truck is a working truck and is about 11,000 lbs every day and the SCT is much better. I run the aggressive street tune most of the time, then when I tow (sometimes 22,000 GCVW) I change to the heavy tow with the exhaust breaking (which is great) Good luck!

Old 09-26-2008, 07:42 PM
tylerp
Junior User
THANKS MAN!
so will this one work??

Truck Accessories | Pickup Truck Accessories & Truck Performance Parts | Truckmod.com

and i notice that it has 3 settings, does that mean that i can download 3 settings??
well, 2... Save Stock to one, Agg. Street for #2, and Max. Econ. as #3??

Old 09-27-2008, 06:35 AM
Nice Work Truck
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes that is the one I have. The device has 3 canned tunes and will store 3 custom tunes (so you're looking at 7 tunes total - including the stock tune that the device downloads and stores from your truck). You can download onto your computer all the tunes from the Spartan website if you wanted, and then move them onto your device as desired. You just can't have more than the three custom tunes on the device at one time. Once the tunes you think you'll use are downloaded on your computer, it only takes a few minutes to transfer the tunes to the device. As you probably saw, there are a few different tunes, so this allows you to try different tunes and find the right one for your truck/situation. I like the Agg Street and I also use the General Economy tune.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:20 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you wait until Spartan comes out with their own tuner you'll be able to store more then that on a flash card(like the ones that you use for digital cameras) and put that into the tuner and then upload from there. Right now he is working with beta testers on his new tuner, but it shouldn't be too terrible long after that depending on how the testing goes and those tuners will be leap and bounds ahead of anything that SCT has on the market now for the 6.0(xCal III and Livewire).

Old 09-27-2008, 01:54 PM
tylerp
Junior User
that would be awsome!!
especially since i have to sell a car before i can get a truck...lol
anybody want a SVT focus?? lol
the only thing i am worried about with the spartan tune is having to cut the antivirus off for the download...
how long does it take to down load?? dsl...
i just dont want to have the antivirus firewall down all night...

Old 09-27-2008, 02:03 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by tylerp
that would be awsome!!
especially since i have to sell a car before i can get a truck...lol
anybody want a SVT focus?? lol
the only thing i am worried about with the spartan tune is having to cut the antivirus off for the download...
how long does it take to down load?? dsl...
i just dont want to have the antivirus firewall down all night...

Depending on how busy it is on both ends, maybe a minute or 2 at the most. Those files aren't all that big compared to what stuff that I have downloaded in the past and I have dsl as well.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:06 PM
tylerp
Junior User
ok sounds good to me.
by the way TEX, i just went to your gallery... you sure do have a lot of gauges in that truck...
do you mind if i ask what all of them are?? i figure you didnt put them in there for decoration and im a BIG fan of knowing what the engine is doing, but im not too sure what gauges are important in a diesel...

Old 09-27-2008, 02:20 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
do you mind if i ask what all of them are?? i figure you didnt put them in there for decoration and im a BIG fan of knowing what the engine is doing, but im not too sure what gauges are important in a diesel...
I don't mind at all.
On the A-Pillar:
Boost(60psi long sweep)
Tranny Temp(long sweep)
EGT(1600 long sweep)

On the Steering Column:
Fuel PSI(long sweep)

Windshield:
Water Temp(short sweep)
Volts(short sweep)
Oil PSI(short sweep)

Depending all what your going to do with your truck will depend on what is more important over the other. They all have their place, but volts is probably the first one to be sacrificed over the others if it came down to funds and/or space. Water temp could be replaced with oil temp(ideal would be to have both), however I like water temp, I can easily plan for those readings over oil(all depends on what your used to really). The first 4 listed and either water or oil temp would be the ones that in my opinion would be the ones to have especially if your doing any kind of performance modification(even just a tuner). If you don't do anything and leave it stock then perhaps the first three with either water or oil temp.

Old 09-27-2008, 03:16 PM
tylerp
Junior User
well i really like the pillar pod, i have that one in my Z28..
i may just consider taking your setup...lol just with an oil temp in place of fuel pressure...
do you ever use your fuel pressure gauge??
also, i have the cheapo pilar pod that had to be fiberglassed onto the factory pillar, where did you find that one in your truck if you dont mind me asking??
it looks really good in there.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:36 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
do you ever use your fuel pressure gauge??
Yes I do use it and it has helped me learn very quickly when I've had something wrong with fuel pressure, mainly with the a/m fuel pump that I have. It also let me know when my stock pump was taking a crap after I put in the modified injectors. If your going to deal with RR kits, a/m fuel pumps and/or modified injectors your going to need it.IMHO

where did you find that one in your truck if you dont mind me asking??
it looks really good in there.
I got my from Gino's Garage, I can't remember if they are a sponsor here or not anymore, they were when I bought the gauge pods. You just have to get a can of spray on paint to match your interior(unless it's black) and you'll be good to go.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:02 PM
tylerp
Junior User
thanks man,
geez, you're like a guru on these PSD's aren't you??
lol

Old 09-27-2008, 05:05 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
thanks man,
geez, you're like a guru on these PSD's aren't you??
lol
NAAAHHH, there are alot more obsessed people on these animals then I am. This is more of a hobby for me.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:09 PM
tylerp
Junior User
what all did you have to change to run the bigger turbo??

Old 09-27-2008, 05:21 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
what all did you have to change to run the bigger turbo??

Well for sure your going to need to change out the turbo pedestal, and you'll need to have programming to turn the VGT off if you have the non-vgt turbo. I would also suggest bigger injectors in order to help spin that turbo, you might be able to get away with stock injectors with a pretty tight housing, but that would be something you'll have to look into. Everything about it was drop in and go even the pedestal you just had to take the old one out for the new one to go in it's place.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Better Than Banks??