Sponsored by:

90 Bronco and ticked off, HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 10:32 PM
buckshot32
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
90 Bronco and ticked off, HELP

Rear window fight since I bought this beast. I know the motor and switch work, and the window works until I open the tailgate and after I close it, it has stopped working again. Is there a switch, sensor, or liliputin hiding that I have to activate to get consistent response. seriously why wont my window work?

Old 09-26-2008, 04:26 AM
shooter123
Elder User
sounds like a bad connection somewhere. I would make sure they are all clean and tight. just my 2 cents

Old 09-26-2008, 04:50 AM
b4hntn
Posting Guru

There is a safety switch on the driver's side latch. Try pushing in there after you close it.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:43 AM
alxsnmr
Fleet Mechanic
yea on pushing in on the top part of the driver's side of the tailgate. If it takes off working then you may need to replace the bushing on the catch of the tailgate. Autoparts stores sell them in the 'HELP!' section for the doors, just need to trim it down for the tailgate catch.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:26 AM
buckshot32
New User
Is there anyway to bypass this safety switch so that the window will workwithout it.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:40 AM
oldbluebronco
Senior User
You could wrap some thick tape like athletic Tape on the catch. that is what i do. just replace when the tape gets worn out and starts to tear.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:47 PM
Aciancio
Senior User
Bad Idea to by-pass the switch, I don’t care how careful you think you are if someone trips the operating switch with the tailgate open or even worse not full closed you can cause a lot of damage, to the window (about $300 to replace), the operating mechanism/springs/motor, and the shell.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:08 AM
buckshot32
New User
thanks for the info, talked to my local mechanic, and based on the voltage output he said that the problem is in the rear window key switch,and that he can't order one. Well he got it back up, but now im stuck again.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:39 AM
Aciancio
Senior User
I don’t know if I fully believe that, my key switch is completely dead. You should still be able to use your dash switch. It might take two people (unless your dash switch sticks like mine does) but have one person hold the dash switch while one person leans or pushes against the tailgate on the drivers side near the latch, if the switch is a little weak or the strike post is worn that should trip the switch and the window will work. Also if you want a key switch I would try your local junkyard just take a ohm meter with you to test the switch.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:20 PM
Bronco4me92
Freshman User
hit the left lower part of your tail gate in the 90's there was problems with the ground give it a good wrap once or twice and it should work

Old 10-03-2008, 01:15 PM
ghb
New User
My Bronco had a short in the wiring between the truck and the tailgate. The wiring is on the driver's side of the tailgate. You need to have your tailgate open to see it. There should be a protective covering over the wiring that you'll have to cut a slit through to expose the wires.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:43 PM
Bronco4me92
Freshman User
oh okay the ignorant a$$ hole the owned the bronco b4 me was nice enough to cut the wire for my rear defrost so when ever it rains i cant see out of my back window and ive always noticed even with the defrost on the windsheild it fogs up and all of my windows for that manor

Old 10-07-2008, 08:59 AM
g_k50
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a problem with my rear window not too long ago. The weatherstipping dries out and makes it hard to raise and lower the window. Silicone lubricant is the ford recommended lube for the weatherstripping. Because the window is hard to raise and lower the motor shaft (which is plastic) breaks. I got a junkyard replacement motor. I took the rear window all the way out of the tailgate to put the motor in. I broke the rear window putting it back in, so I had to get a replacement window from the junkyard. 50 for the window and 20 for the motor.

There's a lever at the bottom of the tailgate that the window activates when it's all the way down. This allows the tailgate to be opened.

So try the lube, see if that helps. Then you might think about whether the plastic part of the window motor is deteriorating.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:49 PM
b4hntn
Posting Guru

Use an aerosol can of "dry lube" in the sides and be sure to flow it all the way down. I used white grease aeresol in the register track on the bottom of the glass. My defroster is dead however get snow every couple of years. Wire is broken in the bend in the harness and the previous owner did not cut it. Check, clean and grease the four wire tailgate connector behind the license plate. Be sure the torsoin bar, driver side, vertical part is not touching the glass. Use camera to see better.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:15 AM
buckshot32
New User
my weatherstripping is dry rotted, and the motor plastic shaft disintegrated. Rocks are a good replacement. But it is definitely in the latching mechanism/wiring short. I do know that the defrost still works, and the dash switch for the window has been replaced, and worked for a while. Motor works when it is jumped straight to a battery.

Quick Reply: 90 Bronco and ticked off, HELP