General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Sunglasses?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 06:54 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunglasses?

Are you willing to pay $$$ for a good pair, or do the disposable cheap ones work for you? I personally have to wear sunglasses in any sunlight, and own a pair of Costa del Mar Fluid, and a pair of Costa del Mar Havana. Nothing else will do, my wife however, is perfectly happy picking a pair up at Wally World. This brought about by the little reminder that I have not posted for 2 weeks.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:41 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Two set of Oakleys: XX's and Juliets.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:01 PM
Svets96
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do what you think is good for your eyes. I personally go buy the 'el cheapos but thats just me. lol

Old 09-25-2008, 08:01 PM
weeds
Senior User
Usually the cheapo's at Walmart. I have one pair of Oakley Fives that only get worn when I'm trying to look good. Lenses get so torn up from riding the bike that it's not worth it to wear $100 sunglasses all the time.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:26 PM
ididntdoit99
Elder User
I used to buy expensive, but i'm too rough with them, i always drop, break, scratch, or lose them, so now I buy el cheapo's from wally world or a gas station.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:36 PM
FarmForward
Postmaster
My prescription specs came with a magnetic clip-on pair of dark lenses... I guess I get no choice in the "cheap vs. expensive" debate, huh?

I've decided that my next pair of cheaters are gonna be those "Transitions" ones that get darker in the sun. Carrying the clip-on's is a real pain in the rear end...

Old 09-26-2008, 12:14 AM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FarmForward
the clip-on's is a real pain in the rear end...
You're suppose to wear them on your face.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I wear prescription sunglasses.

When I wear contacts, I make sure that the sunglasses I wear are UVA and UVB
rated.

I did find a nice pair of $100 Smith sunglasses at the bar one time.

There the ones where you can change the lenses.

I also have a pair of Eagle Eyes I use for fly fishing.
They're actually pretty decent sunglasses.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:13 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I used to have the old green mountaineering glasses with the leather side cups, but I don't know where they went-

I got a pair of prescription ones, and with as thick as my glasses are you'd think they'd be as dark as my welding filter, but they are actually pretty light. Next pair I'm either going transitions (most likely), or I'll specify a shade of darkness, probably around a 4.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:14 AM
tbm3fan
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
My prescription specs came with a magnetic clip-on pair of dark lenses... I guess I get no choice in the "cheap vs. expensive" debate, huh?

I've decided that my next pair of cheaters are gonna be those "Transitions" ones that get darker in the sun. Carrying the clip-on's is a real pain in the rear end...
If you like relatively dark sunglasses then you are not going to like Transition lenses. Pay close attention to the advertising as they term it a comfort lens rather than sunglass lens.

As to the best lenses overall for your eyes then polarized would be best. Polarized lenses naturally block all UV wavelengths to 400nm plus blocking polarized light off of reflective surfaces that lay people commonly call glare. Almost all polarized lenses are optically good quality while your more common plastic non-polarized lenses can have optical quality all over the place. Cheap could be excellent and expensive poor believe it or not...

Old 09-26-2008, 03:04 AM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a pair of transitions 10 years ago... I wore them for about 3 years... I ilked them for the most part. It seemed to take a while before lenses would clear up enough for indoor use for my taste.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:21 AM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I remember these glasses that change from light to dark and back were called
'photo-gray' glasses, back some 30 years ago.

My regular glasses go from clear to a slight tint and back.

My prescription sun glasses go from somewhat dark to very dark and back.

Too bad they don't make contacts that do the same thing. That would be cool.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:31 AM
Zip
FTE Legend
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts
I have a pair of Serengeti's (sp). They have the copper colored lenses. Price was somewhere between 100-150 at Costco. I have had them for quite a few years now.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:45 AM
littlesunray
Elder User
I have prescription sunglasses right now but I prefer the cheap ones better they last longer to me cause they don't get scratched up as fast, I am another one who always has to have sunglasses on since I got burned by my dang furnace last year don't like the real bright light.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:22 AM
NH-Hottie
Postmaster
I used to wear cheap ones all of the time. Went through three or four pairs a year. Mostly because I didn't bother to take care of them. But last spring I invested in a pair of nice real Gucci shields. ($380) Absolutely nothing like them. Now I'm hooked. I've been taking real good care of these. Always keeping them in the special case all of the time when I'm not using them.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Bruker
Fleet Mechanic
I still have the cheap Foster Grants I picked up at WM five years ago. When they break or get lost I'll get another pair.

Quick Reply: Sunglasses?