Bronco II Ford Bronco II

85 bronco 2 2.8 eng swap to a 3.0 efi

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 05:27 PM
EDYsBRONCO2
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 bronco 2 2.8 eng swap to a 3.0 efi

i got a 3.0 eng out of an areostar 89 model and want to know if i can replace my crappy 2.8 carb to the efi 3.0 with out much mod's? like will the oil pan or engine clrearence be an issue? ill strip computer,wire harness,linkages,sending unit ect.....

did i say it coming out of an 1989 areostar with a blown a4ld !
friend had a shop rebuild his 3.0 only to loss the tranny 1600 mile later! in my case i rebuilt the 2.8 and a4ld tranny in my bronco 4x4 ,but autozone sold me a weak upper hose = somebody cut it with there box cutter (not all the way thru) and i never saw it till my motor blew at 3am on way home, my ****y gauge didnt say it was hot cause the dam water left befor sensor can read it = i should of bought an after market gauge=live and learn!

1985 bronco II 4x4 with a stock 2.8 and rebuilt a4ld with modified flywheel plate to stop front seal blow outs plus high performance parts put in that tranny = its ok! i got to play in w.v big sandy and did have a blast! till an upper hose change recently! pssss ;(

Old 09-25-2008, 05:30 PM
EDYsBRONCO2
Freshman User
anyone? can help me out ?

Old 09-26-2008, 02:07 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
The 3.0L engine has a diffrent bellhousing than the 2.8/2.9/4.0 engines. You possably swap the bellhousings between the 2.8 and 3.0 trannys. From what I seen all A4LD trannys were the same mounting of the bellhouse/pump to tranny case.

I do have a question about the "rebuilt a4ld with modified flywheel plate to stop front seal blow outs" what's the mod for that? So far I replaced my 89 B2 tranny with a 4.0L A4ld(only to find no OD) and while I have the tranny out again(band anchor fell out of place) I like to know the mod.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:15 AM
EDYsBRONCO2
Freshman User
re-enforcing ur b2

I took a 1/8 plate of metal and cut it to fit the center of the fly wheel then drill out bolt patern and center line up hole for torqconverter, it stop the warping and small play it had = no more blow outs! and used high performance clutch's and bands and replaced all seal! note= i have a shifter linkage seal starting to leak =very little but can be re-enforce next time with a light coat of rtv i think! its very small and started a week after rebuild but was very little = a drop or 2 a day = less then a pint in 3 months time!

P.S- and a new flywheel just because i was there & it was cheap! and a guru tranny parts dealer in n.c called Whatever It Takes Transmitission parts Warehouse = bus. dealers only = i had a friend with connection's to warehouse's all over the east coast at the time!

the areostar is a 2wd and i was wrong on the year. it is a 1986 and came with a A4LD tranny = i was thinkin the bolt pattern would be the same but will check when i've comepleted the removal of both engine's. i was informed about a possible a/c clearance = might need to modify brackets im not sure yet just hate to remove that whole setup and waste my time! wish i could afford a tranny for my 302 boss it would be awesome with that kind of power i would think!!!

Old 09-28-2008, 09:34 AM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Ah, kinda like a pilot bearing for the T/C. I seen a thicker flexplate for that reason listed in the ATSG Techtran book for the A4LD. But no parts place knows of that. must be a ford part only. Was going to pull the tranny on my B2 today but with 70 to 90% of rain I not going to get rained out. That will give me time to get that plate and make it up.
Thanks.
As long as the Aerostar trans has the short tail shaft, the Xfer case should bolt on, from what I read in past postings. MY B2 has that dummy xfer case as it's only 2wd. I always wondered why Ford did that. Thats about 80 lbs of wasted weight to haul around...

Old 09-28-2008, 06:11 PM
EDYsBRONCO2
Freshman User
Thank you Friend

Thx for the tips and i agree on the extra wieght that comes with'em i would pull smog pump, cat,exfer case, and motor fan to elec. = u loss about 129 pounds of and gain a little more power i see ur from the south too = we can get away with it! he he good luck friend.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:00 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Got the tranny pulled today, Found what I though happened. the OD servo anchor fell out and that would not shift into OD. I also checked the OD clutch and input shaft and found that it was ready to grind up the input basket!!! Lucky for me it did not shift in to OD as it probly would of gernaded the OD unit like the original tranny did!!

I did find a easyer way to get the bellhousing bolts out on the passanger side. I pulled the wheel off and took the inner fender and folded it twards the front. GOT MAJOR access now to those bolts now!! Found the dummy xfer case weighs about 30Lbs, not as heavy as I though.
As a side note, my flexplate already has that mod to it!! Aftermarket finaly gotten parts worthy now.....I hope

From sources I read, the 3.0L bellhousing should bolt onto any of the A4LD trannys. Only way to really find out is pull and compair them. I'll find out more when I goto the transmision parts place to get a new OD input set.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:51 PM
EDYsBRONCO2
Freshman User
Thumbs up Great

Congratz On Finding The Prob And Thx For Sharing The Info With Me I Hope It Does Work! I Got 3 Days Befor I Get Started On The R&r Of Both Eng. Then The Conversion To Bronco 2 Witch I Dread Due To Old Bolts And Mods I Must Do,but At The End I Was Told I'll Be Happy With It Compare To 2.8 I Had. But Wish I Knew What Tranny I Can Use With My 302 Project Eng I Have For My '82 F-100 That I Have'nt Put In Yet! And Really Like Put It In My Bronco But Was Told I Would Be Modify'ing Driveline And A Tranny =money Is An Issue Atm. But 3.0 Will Only Cost Me Time And A Small Amout Of Cash To Set It Up. NOT TO MEMTION I SHOP ALL OVER THE SOUTHEAST JUNKYARDS TO RESTORE MY B2 INTIRIOR ALL I NEED IS A DRIVER'S SEAT TO COMPLETE THAT AND IM BACK IN ACTION ONCE THE 3.0 IS IN ALSO HAVE A '94 EXPLORE XLT LEATHER INTIRIOR FULLY LOADED ALSO AUTOMATIC ;( PUSH BUTTON 4X4 ;( MY WIFE DRIVES (STEET ONLY)= WAS THINKING OF YOINKING HER SETUP BUT I CANT BUY A NEW RIDE FOR HER AND I DONT LET HER TOUCH MY 4 OTHER TRUCKS DUE TO SHE HARD ON'EM AND LIKES TO TAKE OUT K.F.C & Mc DONALDS SPEAKER BOX'S AND ILL PARKING PLUS DRIVING = BUT I STILL LOVE HER.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:57 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
Yep the 3.0 is a different engine family than the 2.8, 2.9 and 4.0. I drove both alot and in my opinion, the 2.9 will run circles around the 3.0, it has a lower torque curve, or so it seems. If I was going to that much trouble, I would go for broke and do the 4.0 swap and have a real torque monster in there. A 4.0 plus gears and your climbing trees if you can reach the first branch ha ha.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:13 PM
EDYsBRONCO2
Freshman User
Talking Thank you Friend's

thx for the info guys im going to do the 3.0 due to my 302 HO block with cam & 289 heads&elenbrok intake &4brl carb was for my hotrod f-100 and lots of time plus investment! wont last longer in it my b2 =its to play/drive around town in and its stock suspension with 10/31 15 witch is great when climbing steep mountain's in W.V = i like my center of gravity on it not as scary doing 30+ up or down the mountain's like my friends lifted b2= witch he drive's like grampa in granny gears-lots of fun!!but at times i wish it was jacked up when playing here in the low country = swamp lands!

Old 09-30-2008, 06:47 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
"COOL", that where I wheel, Grant Co. W,Va in the eastern panhandle. Middle mountain, cave mountain, smoke holes, lots of great wheeling!!!!!

Old 09-30-2008, 09:31 PM
EDYsBRONCO2
Freshman User
Talking

kewl!! i been there too and i stay at big sandy when im there for some r&r time i played all over those mountains and im lucky to talk about it!

i lost traction going up ridge mountain one time and rolled my buddy's explore 250 feet down and walk away from it with some bruces and scratchs =was glad i had only a few shots of that hillbilly moon shine befor i started!=made me limber!! he he he!!! his truck was just a mangled mess. but i gave him my old '78' suburu brat 4x4 he wanted real bad at the time! and i did'nt have much into it compared to his truck = he still a good friend. just said im rough on his trucks so i got to bring my own now!! lol !!! and im hoping to get the b2 going (AGAIN) befor the snow!!! i want to check out the other side witch has some skinny trails and some i will make he said! but my bronco will need a bush gaurd he said.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:56 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
Yeah, we wheel fire roads, old logging roads, even cow paths or just make our own. My family has owned over 1,000 acers on midddle mountain since before the war between the states, then we have other friends and family that own land all over Grant and Pendleton CO. and some in Hardy Co. My buddy just bought a shop and it came with what looks to be around a 86 bronco II, the body is clean, just the emblems are misssing
(the little kicking horses and what not) It has loc-outs, manual tranny and t-case. We know it has a V-6, but haven't popped the hood to see if it's the 2.8 or 2.9. Then we'lll know better what year it is, but it looks good. He said he would let me have it if I help him on the paperwork to get a title since it belonged to the shop. He takes it over this week, the shop has been in recievership for over a year. We don't even know if it runs, but it sure looks good, fords and jeeps are my life besides the good Lord!!!

Old 10-22-2008, 02:43 PM
EDYsBRONCO2
Freshman User
Aerostar 3.0 to bronco II = Nightmare

The eng. is taller & oil pan needs mods passenge valve cover lands on heater box, driver side exaust aims towards the frame and NONE of the conectors to the 2.8 eng match the 3.0 wiring harness= im still working on making it work if i had some insight on this i would of tried pulling the 4.0 exploder eng instead! have fun and if anyone has a 1986 aerostar donor just poor fuel on it and walk away befor ignition. my bronco II is down for a spill! but motor mounts and oil pan looks like frankinstiens sister & exaust mods are next! cya!

Old 11-18-2008, 03:22 PM
EDYsBRONCO2
Freshman User
i guess no more coments 4 me

anyone want my bronco? 500.00 dollars and its ur's 3.0 liter is in and all parts for completing it is in the back just got other things in life going on at the moment!

Quick Reply: 85 bronco 2 2.8 eng swap to a 3.0 efi