6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Ford refuses DPF problem, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 10:51 PM
ssharber
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford refuses DPF problem, HELP!

I know lots of us have had issues with black soot in our pipes. Ive read several times here that if you have black soot in your pipes theres a problem. Ive taken my truck to 3 different dealers, a Lariat CC with 26, 800 miles on it. All three dealerships have told me that the soot is normal; Ive read here by many knowledgable of you that this is bull, and the ones that have pursued it ended up finding either a dealer who cared, or found a decent mechanic who went against a Service Manager and said, "Yeah, this guys got a DPF problem". Either a crack or whatever. My pipes look black, and much like a few videos Ive seen on here, I can wipe the inside of my pipes, and its black on my finger. Mine is a job 1, it's in now for a radiator leak, surging in cruise, and when I told them about the 8-13-2 flash, and the radiator issues for Job 1 trucks, they indicated that theyve replaced only 2 DPF's but several radiators, which immediately told me they werent likely to find anything wrong. Yeah, right. They said the black soot is normal. I argued, to no avail. I live close to Nashville, TN., and have been to dealerships in Franklin, Murfreesboro, and 3 here, all to no avail. What can I do. Ive driven all around, and its frustrating to constantly hunt down dealerships and leave my truck there for a day or two only to be told theres no problem. Is there a way I can file a complaint or arbitrate this somehow? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:48 PM
Hollywood2005
Senior User
I would just take it off!!

20MPG's with 37's in British Columbia so it would be even better on flat ground........

Old 09-25-2008, 01:47 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Call 1-866-631-3788, Ford Cust care #, you need to PCM re-flash since you are a Job 1, and from what I have read and understand, the only way to tell about the DPF for sure is they have to take it off, cracks from the inside.

My truck is a job 3, clean pipes, that is the way they are setup to run.

There is also a recall for the gas tank. They need to put a braket in front of the tank.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:15 PM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
When you get the "it's normal" excuse, have them explain why it's normal to have soot in the tail pipes on a truck with a diesel particulate filter when the dpf is there to capture soot. Soot = particulates. I'll bet the reasons will astound us.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:29 PM
ssharber
Tuned
Thanks everyone. Ill definitely follow up with the phone number and ask the dealer this afternoon when I pick up my truck.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:31 PM
Tater Mash
Junior User
I had my truck in the shop for sooty tail pipes two weeks ago. Mine is a Job 1 also. They did the latest flash and said that should take care of the soot issue, but if it soots up again, bring it back. My service advisor said that if they were to soot up again, they will probably change the DPF. I took it home and cleaned the tail pipes with steel wool till they shined. One week later, there is soot again. I am going to take it back to the dealer on Monday and see what happens.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:42 PM
ssharber
Tuned
Thanks Tater, please let me know what happens, as I feel I WILL HAVE TO DO THE SAME.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:16 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Took mine in Monday for the soot in the tailpipe; advised it ran the first 18,000 staying clean but now it doesn't at +24,000 miles. Service advisor "DPF, never heard of such a thing." I explained same to him; he wasn't actual SA handling my truck though.

I complained about the cruise surge on resume.

I complained about a 'slam' etc. I get everynow and then when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd; like it starts to upshift about the time I give it a little acceleration to get on the highway, etc. and this sometimes happens. I can't make it happen.

They call and say they can find anything wrong with truck and can't duplicate cruise issue. I explain how if resume is hit at speed much lower than original..... and am told well it ought to accelerate hard. I tell them I have read on the forum that the latest flash fixes same.

They tell me it isn't blowing black smoke; I tell them it will with my fifth wheel behind it. They say there are no codes.

They tell me they have had several people drive it and can't duplicate the transmission shift problem.

They call back again and say they will flash it.

I think Ford is holding these dealers so accountable they don't fix anything without a code or Ford telling them to.

I think maybe it is time for owners to start complaining to the EPA. I would like to chunk the DPF but I'm not willing to void my warranty; if I am going to pay the fuel penalty for this emission device I would like for it to work properly and I think Ford should be held accountable.

Oh, and there is a Ford Oasis "special service message" that I found on the motorcraftservice.com subscription that says clunking on the second to third shift is normal; funny they couldn't find that to explain my problem away.

Bob

Old 09-25-2008, 07:11 PM
senix
Super Moderator
your tranny issue

Originally Posted by bnmccoy
Took mine in Monday for the soot in the tailpipe; advised it ran the first 18,000 staying clean but now it doesn't at +24,000 miles. Service advisor "DPF, never heard of such a thing." I explained same to him; he wasn't actual SA handling my truck though.

I complained about the cruise surge on resume.

I complained about a 'slam' etc. I get everynow and then when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd; like it starts to upshift about the time I give it a little acceleration to get on the highway, etc. and this sometimes happens. I can't make it happen.

They call and say they can find anything wrong with truck and can't duplicate cruise issue. I explain how if resume is hit at speed much lower than original..... and am told well it ought to accelerate hard. I tell them I have read on the forum that the latest flash fixes same.

They tell me it isn't blowing black smoke; I tell them it will with my fifth wheel behind it. They say there are no codes.

They tell me they have had several people drive it and can't duplicate the transmission shift problem.

They call back again and say they will flash it.

I think Ford is holding these dealers so accountable they don't fix anything without a code or Ford telling them to.

I think maybe it is time for owners to start complaining to the EPA. I would like to chunk the DPF but I'm not willing to void my warranty; if I am going to pay the fuel penalty for this emission device I would like for it to work properly and I think Ford should be held accountable.

Oh, and there is a Ford Oasis "special service message" that I found on the motorcraftservice.com subscription that says clunking on the second to third shift is normal; funny they couldn't find that to explain my problem away.

Bob
I have just the link for you:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...nd-to-3rd.html

Was having the tranny issue, they ending up replacing some modules I have it listed, the Mech had to call the hotline so they should be aware of this and can help your guy out.

Scott

Old 09-26-2008, 06:14 AM
SouthTexasDiesel
Elder User
Basically if you can't find a dealer that will listen to you, you need to go higher up in the food chain and contact a Ford Representative. It's obvious that a lot of service managers are not educated correctly when it comes to the new emissions regulations, if Ford gets enough complaints they might begin to train their personnel better. Hell, when I bought my truck I explained to my SM how the DPF functioned more then Ford did. Which explains why he understands why I took the dang POS DPF off.

If the SM won't listen, talk to the manager of the dealership, if he won't listen talk to the owner, if they won't listen threaten with a complaint to Ford.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:13 AM
cHiLi 11
Senior User
Quick story..... the truck is in the shop now for almost two weeks. The bed plate was leaking and they were repairing it. I also mentioned the fact i thought the DPF was bad cause the tail pipes were black. The diesel mech said no I don't see anything its prob the EGR valve. I told the mechanic, even if the EGR valve was bad the DPF should still be filtering the soot. After insisting and speaking with the service manager he continued to tell me "you cant believe everything you hear on the net", which I agree. He ended up bringing out a Ford engineer to inspect the vehicle, and sure enough he agreed the DPF was bad. I should have the truck back today with the oil leak repaired, and a new DPF.

Nick

Old 09-26-2008, 10:42 AM
senix
Super Moderator
talk about egg on your face! Great out come Chili 11

Old 09-28-2008, 08:15 AM
08F250Honduras
New User
Hi South Texas Diesel, seems you are quite knowledgeble on your 08 F250 Diesel. I just bought an 08 F250 Harley Davidson Diesel in Houston and am shipping it to Honduras. We do not have low sulfur diesel in Honduras, what can I modify to my truck to make it work well with High Sulfur Diesel. As I understand, USA Diesel as around 50ppm Sulfur, in Honduras we have 5000 Ppm.

Thanks for the help, George

Old 09-28-2008, 09:09 AM
SouthTexasDiesel
Elder User
The engine is designed for Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel. High sulfur diesel may damage the injectors and fuel system. There are several occasions where 6.4's have run high sulfur or bio-diesel and the motor just gave up on them.

Your best bet would be to get rid of the truck with the DPF and go to Mexico and find one that does not have the EPA mandated emissions equipment.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:31 PM
08F250Honduras
New User
What about if I take off the DPF? Someelse recommendad me to buy a dpf delete pipe and chip in usa. What do you think?

Quick Reply: Ford refuses DPF problem, HELP!