6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Ford refuses DPF problem, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 02:53 PM
SouthTexasDiesel
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That would work as far as preventing issues with the DPF clogging up, but that does not prevent any damage to engine internals.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:02 PM
No1Hookman
Senior User
Originally Posted by SouthTexasDiesel
Your best bet would be to get rid of the truck with the DPF and go to Mexico and find one that does not have the EPA mandated emissions equipment.

That would be a good idea if one wanted a 450 or 550 C&C. There are no 6.4s in the smaller trucks in Mexico.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:37 AM
yukondiesel
Senior User
Originally Posted by rob_nc
When you get the "it's normal" excuse, have them explain why it's normal to have soot in the tail pipes on a truck with a diesel particulate filter when the dpf is there to capture soot. Soot = particulates. I'll bet the reasons will astound us.
Right! Soemone with logic speaks! So, if I have ANY soot I can presume to have an issue? My question is: What constitutes a sooty tailpipe? I have just over 2700 mikles on my F-350 and the tailpipes have just a light dusting, barely gets my finger black. This seems recent, as I recall thses pipes were PRISTINE up until about 2400-2500 miles. I guess I need to start harassing my dealer and service guy? (Job 3 truck by the way)
Thanks and regards...joe

Old 10-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Carl Lassiter
Senior User
Originally Posted by yukondiesel
Right! Soemone with logic speaks! So, if I have ANY soot I can presume to have an issue? My question is: What constitutes a sooty tailpipe? I have just over 2700 mikles on my F-350 and the tailpipes have just a light dusting, barely gets my finger black. This seems recent, as I recall thses pipes were PRISTINE up until about 2400-2500 miles. I guess I need to start harassing my dealer and service guy? (Job 3 truck by the way)
Thanks and regards...joe
Hmmm, that may be road grime? If it's running well I'd stear clear of Jonny Stealer unless you're sure there's a problem. That being said, my experience with techs is not a good one and my suggestion of road grime may well be very wishful thinking

Old 10-13-2008, 01:38 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Took mine in for poor MPG/turbo lag/soot in tail pipe. They said there was a new flash that would cure all 3 problems. I knew this magic wand trick wouldnt cure my problem but I also understand that there is a process to go through. So they reflashed my truck, cleaned the tail pipes for me and I headed out on a 500 mile trip with 10k behind me. Got back with an average of 7.8 mpg, still had turbo lag, and tail pipes were black again. Took it back, they agreed it needed a new DPF and they claim the DPF will cure the MPG and turbo lag. Went on a 210 mile trip with my 10k pounds again. Averaged 8.0 mpg (flatter ground), turbo lag still bad, but clean tail pipes so far.

I realize there isnt anything they can do for the poor mpg and turbo lag but Im still going to complain about it. Ford needs to hear/realize there is a problem. As for the DPF, it seems we are all getting the suggestion that a reflash will fix it but when it doesnt you shouldnt have a problem getting a new DPF.

BTW, the SA explained to me that the DPF creates back pressure which helps my MPG. WHAT?? He said my "broken" DPF didnt have enough back pressure so it was hurting my MPG. Now that its fixed it will increase my back pressure and improve MPG. I better look in the mirror because I must really look stupid.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:29 PM
yukondiesel
Senior User
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
Hmmm, that may be road grime? If it's running well I'd stear clear of Jonny Stealer unless you're sure there's a problem. That being said, my experience with techs is not a good one and my suggestion of road grime may well be very wishful thinking
I guess I will just keep an eye on it. You points are well made and well taken. It seems to be running fine, but I have only noticed one RE-GEN at 700 miles. I could easily have not noticed others.

I have plenty of time and miles to get a DPF under warranty, so I can afford to let it get REALLY get crummy(if that even happens).
Thanks and regards...joe

Old 10-13-2008, 04:33 PM
Hollywood2005
Senior User
I think and this is only my two cents is that the DPF will never catch ALL the particles. If your truck never sees full boost with your foot to the floor you tail pipe will be cleaner, but if you are towing or just have a heavy foot I THINK you will see black in your pipe. Mine was dark when it fell off at 10,000 km and I have never looked back.......

GOOD LUCK

Old 10-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 08F250Honduras
What about if I take off the DPF? Someelse recommendad me to buy a dpf delete pipe and chip in usa. What do you think?
[quoted SouthTexasDiesel]The engine is designed for Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel. High sulfur diesel may damage the injectors and fuel system. There are several occasions where 6.4's have run high sulfur or bio-diesel and the motor just gave up on them. [/quoted SouthTexasDiesel]

Old 10-13-2008, 06:32 PM
yukondiesel
Senior User
Originally Posted by Hollywood2005
I think and this is only my two cents is that the DPF will never catch ALL the particles. If your truck never sees full boost with your foot to the floor you tail pipe will be cleaner, but if you are towing or just have a heavy foot I THINK you will see black in your pipe. Mine was dark when it fell off at 10,000 km and I have never looked back.......

GOOD LUCK
Thanks. The truck has never seen my foot to the floor, and hardly ever over 20# of boost (mileage you know). The crap in the pipe is probably just miscellaneous engine crap like water vapor and other trash that comes out more like a vapor and condenses on the exhaust cooler. Its not the BLACK soot I have come to expect from a diesel, it has a gray cast to it.. I am still in good shape.. I will watch though...Thanks again...joe

Old 10-13-2008, 06:35 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
I have just under 3K now on mine and have a faint gray to it as well, this I beleive is normal, not the black that would indicate a bad DPF. Have towed quite a bit with it so now I am driving like it was meant to be. Hard, full power when needed. Gotta get it broke in.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:37 AM
jstegmann
New User
do i have to get dpf delete pipe and chip, or can i just clean all internal crap out of filter so it still looks epa legal? or will this affect engine?

Old 05-04-2009, 10:54 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
there have been a couple of suggestions about just gutting it out. Don't think this would be the best option. If you are intending this to be off road and therefore getting rid of the dpf, best to get a kit and tuner to make that work.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:58 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do a search in this forum and you will see plenty on the topic. Bottom line is that your DPF is $1,700 so it would be pretty expensive to just gut. The tuner is traceable, not the DPF so the only benefit of gutting it is if you are trying to pass over scales or mobile inspection units. You wont fool the dealer and Im not sure who else you are trying to fool.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:19 PM
jstegmann
New User
just trying to get better airflow and mpg without running risk of huge fine for not having filter on truck.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:40 PM
Cass
Junior User
Ford refuses DPF problem, HELP!

I have an 08 Job 1 F-350 Lariat that I just turned over 29,000 on in 13 months. It has been strictly Dealer Serviced. After this last oil change we took a short trip, to see our son at college, about 400 miles one way. On the way back, I have noticed that I seem to be over full on oil and it appears to be a little "Thin" as well. I have ordered a Blackstone Test Kit. Today, with the windows down and parked between two Containers the when I do a slight rev and let off I have a "Whistle" as the engine RPM's come back down, and the exhaust is more then a little Gray.

Cass

Quick Reply: Ford refuses DPF problem, HELP!