Sponsored by:

Front Axle Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 11:33 AM
Andyconda
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Axle Conversion

OK, I googled it, I wiki'd it. I've drained all my 4x4 buddies knowledge. And it just seems like what's needed. I have a 2000 F150 with a 5" Superlift Suspension lift, and a 3" body lift. Over the last 9 years I've run TSL's, BFG mud terrains, Boggger, Thornbirds, and now a set of Military issues Goodyear Wrangler 37.5 tires that go on Hum Vee's. Every set scallops within 20,000 miles even with regular allignments and of cousrse rotation and balance. And I'm not easy on the old girl. Haul **** every where, spin out, Race in mud races, etc etc. The ball joints, upper and lower, idler arm,and pitman arm are wearing out so It's time for a solid axle conversion. nothing fancy, But I can't find info on Fabritech or anyone with any experience doing so. i can't be teh first. please respond with info and experience. Thanks.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Andyconda
New User
Thanks UTfball68. Nice link and kudos to the guy who did a great job of step by stepping a great mod. Nice truck too. When I get home I think I'll take some pics of mine as is and start the same process with my truck. As I couldn't find any articles like the one you just linked me concerning any of teh newer 97 and up F-150. Could just be that no one is willing to cut up a newer ride. but I have more money than sense and it's time to mod my ride to allow me to run larger than 38 inch tires and get a decent upgrade rather than replace my upper and lower ball joints, pitman arm, and idler arm. Again, thanks for the info and link.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:30 PM
351slug
Elder User
Old 09-24-2008, 04:56 PM
351slug
Elder User
I dont have the swap experience. I have a Dana 44 TTB. Im not going to do it just for a solid Dana 44. Its still just a 44. Before I do all that, I'll sell my truck and buy a 93-97 F-350. Done.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:58 PM
crazyredneckanyhow
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board - Powered by vBulletin

Join up and talk to farmboyfab. Hes done this and sells kits. Not a 4 link like the others but he actually wheels his stuff. If you search there in the ford forum this issue has all be talked about before.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:54 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
please post your build progress! with pics!

if i may suggest though.... it seems you are very willing to do this and have the resources, you just need some guidance. might i suggest building a coiled D60 front with 4-link? i dont think coilovers would do you much good unless you were gonna rockcrawl and simple coils will keep your cost down significantly! i think you could spend less money than a kit and get a better performing truck, not to mention you will get a 1 ton front under it which you will need (sounds like you are rough on trucks and if you plan to move up to 38's a D44 front wont do you much good for long!)

just my few cents worth!

-cutts-

Old 09-24-2008, 07:22 PM
crazyredneckanyhow
Post Fiend

Hey Ut that writeup is good but his frame is totally different and not wide enough to go the route in that thread. Props for bein on top of things though.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:53 PM
Truckin4life
Street Queen to the extr3m3
i agree with the info you provided... I would step up to a 60 front... the 44 wont hold up for too long.... Even if you do chromo axles in it...

d60 will be good, and you can go chromo axles with it, and it can be very strong!

Old 09-25-2008, 01:19 PM
Andyconda
New User
I agree with all points peeps. Good info and exactly what I'm looking for. I'm going to steup up to the 60 front. No use doing it half ____ed. I'm a design engineer by trade and have been designing and 3D modeling for over a decade. I've decided to do the layout and design myself as I can not find good info or kits. I've got several good fab shops locally (I live near the Mobile Alabama area) and can see saving tons of money buying fab'd parts here.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:23 PM
okgearhead
Junior User
You might look at DixonBrosracing.com, it's not a solid axle swap,but its a long travel kit that replaces your torsion bar set-up, a little pricey, but a nice set-up.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:57 PM
crazyredneckanyhow
Post Fiend

Long travel is nice if your desert racing but it seems he llikes the mud and he wont be any better off than he is now with it. He doesnt need anymore suspension flex he needs strong parts.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:06 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyredneckanyhow
Long travel is nice if your desert racing but it seems he llikes the mud and he wont be any better off than he is now with it. He doesnt need anymore suspension flex he needs strong parts.
as this is true... he can still gain advantages by increasing his RTI score. even though it is mud the bottom can be very suspension intensive and if you end up in a rough hole and can only keep two tires on the bottom due to stiff suspension you may end up stuck.

not disagreeing with you, but i do think a well balanced system can help you as much as a good set of tires. i am certainly not condoning the use of $1000 coil overs and $1000 worth of heim joints for a mud truck!

just my opinion

-cutts-

Old 09-29-2008, 09:47 AM
Andyconda
New User
Although the long travel is nice, its the complexity of IFS I'm trying to steer away from, pun intended. I've had good success with Superlifts new knuckles but I want the added durability of a solid axle. As a mechanical engineer I'm fond of the KISS principle. But I doubt I beef it up as good as Fishman was suggesting. a D60 would be nice but is probably over kill for my ride. Although my truck is far from a Mall Crawler I don't race it or beat box it near as much as I use to. a D44 should do nice and give me more strength than my current system. I was suppose to take current pics this weekend but got entirely too drunk this weekend. I'll try and get those posted in the next couple of days.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:34 AM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not to ruin your parade, but why not get a different truck? I mean, sell this one and get a bunch of money out of it, and buy one that already has a solid axle.

Me personally, I think a 90s F350 would be a great truck to start with. Diesel or 460FI, 5 spd, D60 front, sterling rear.

Just a thought.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:06 AM
scottfreeman
Elder User
Come on now Ted, where would be the fun in that? But why half a__ it with a D60 when we all know that Rocks are all the rage with big mudders that like to be hard on stuff. Just do it, you know that deep down inside that is what you really want....

Quick Reply: Front Axle Conversion