Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Senior User

TxFordGuy is starting off with a positive reputation.
what am i doing wrong

25gal oil
5 gal methanol
tirated 1.5, tested 3 times with same results(digital ph meter calibrated before every use)

base of 7.8KOH=9.3g/L
881g of KOH

i use a plastic conical tank hooked up to a 320GPH HB pump. heated oil to 130deg. added methoxide over a 20min period and mixed for 2hours. it has settle now for 32 hours and i only see a little over 4gal of glycerin sitting in there. every batch seems to be this way. whats my problem
Old 09-22-2008, 10:29 PM
Posting Guru

MAKO314 has a good reputation on FTE.MAKO314 has a good reputation on FTE.
every batch I make produces anywhere from 10 to 15 % of the total liquid volume of glycerol.this percentage depends on your titration #. your results sound close. do the 3/27 test to check for unreacted oil, it will tell you if you're getting a good crack or not. I also give up the KOH thing just because I could'nt get a full reaction. the NaOH is much more volitile and a lot less forgiving but I feel you get better and faster results once you get it right.

oh yeah I havn't forgot about the filter pics I just renewed my site dues so I'll be able to post pics for everyone. I got the filter tank from the Rainsoft dealer in Charlotte and the activated carbon from piedmont clorinator service in Charlotte NC
Old 09-23-2008, 03:56 PM
Postmaster

SkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant future
If your using KOH and it over 80* ambient, some of your methanol may be 'boiling off' before reaction takes place. We only use NAOH in summer months...

Like MAKO said, 27/3 will tell ya if you got a full reaction. Whatever ya do, don't wash it if it doesn't 'pass' 27/3!!
Old 10-06-2008, 07:44 AM
Senior User

Catsailor is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKO314 View Post
every batch I make produces anywhere from 10 to 15 % of the total liquid volume of glycerol.this percentage depends on your titration #. your results sound close. do the 3/27 test to check for unreacted oil, it will tell you if you're getting a good crack or not. I also give up the KOH thing just because I could'nt get a full reaction. the NaOH is much more volitile and a lot less forgiving but I feel you get better and faster results once you get it right.

oh yeah I havn't forgot about the filter pics I just renewed my site dues so I'll be able to post pics for everyone. I got the filter tank from the Rainsoft dealer in Charlotte and the activated carbon from piedmont clorinator service in Charlotte NC
Hey MAKO,

We're in Winston Salem, may want to come down and check out how you do things and get some suggestions. I'm brand new to this, my neighbor has a conical, plastic processor and has done about a dozen batches with KOH - we are looking for ways to be more efficient. Also looking to build a good collector pump system as we have a few restaurants set up but will need to pump out of 55's on the ground into 55's in the back of my F350. How do you handle that?

Thanks
Tom
1989 E250 5.8L Falcon Camper
Old 10-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Posting Guru

MAKO314 has a good reputation on FTE.MAKO314 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsailor View Post
Hey MAKO,

We're in Winston Salem, may want to come down and check out how you do things and get some suggestions. I'm brand new to this, my neighbor has a conical, plastic processor and has done about a dozen batches with KOH - we are looking for ways to be more efficient. Also looking to build a good collector pump system as we have a few restaurants set up but will need to pump out of 55's on the ground into 55's in the back of my F350. How do you handle that?

Thanks
Tom
I live in Kannapolis NC right off of I-85 at exit 63. come on down I'll be glad to show you around. I use a tuthill 12vlt pump to collect oil it does the trick, I collect oil the same way you do so this will be fine for you. the pump puts out about 10 gpm so each stop don't really take long.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:17 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels