Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Better mileage at 80mph Vs. 60mph in a V10!??

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 09:25 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Your truck has over 250k miles on it, you were going 82 mph, and the mileage was 17 mpg............I don't believe it.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:52 PM
UrbanXX
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
An engine runs more efficent and gets better mileage at its tork-curve whatever speed that may be. A gasoline engine has a low amount of torque and horsepower at low rpms and gas mileage suffers accordingly simply because the engine is not very efficent underload at low RPM. The mileage stated seems reasonable to me especially on flat ground.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:15 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by UrbanXX
An engine runs more efficent and gets better mileage at its tork-curve whatever speed that may be. A gasoline engine has a low amount of torque and horsepower at low rpms and gas mileage suffers accordingly simply because the engine is not very efficent underload at low RPM. The mileage stated seems reasonable to me especially on flat ground.
That's not true, if that were the case lower diff gears would give better mpg. The factory designed the ex to get best mileage at about 2000 rpm and a little under 65mph. It's a known fact that anything over that will give worse mileage. Where's the load here, and how about increased wind and rolling resistance? That's simply not true.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:44 AM
UrbanXX
Posting Guru
Actually a V-10 is way under torque curve at 2000 RPM but very close at 3000 RPM. What you are failing to grasp is the power band at the higher rpm is more than the usual c/o drag and restiance. With a V-10 surely you must know that it fires on a 72 degree bank instead of the normal 90 degree bank of a typical V style engine. This is one of the reasons the V-10 likes moderate rpms. Between 2000 and 3000 rpms the torque would increase about 30% to 35% or so. So at this point I won't say what you have stated "is not" true" I'll let you decide that with the experience you have.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:28 AM
SteveEbey73742
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EXv10
Your truck has over 250k miles on it, you were going 82 mph, and the mileage was 17 mpg............I don't believe it.

as is your prerogative, but your belief has no bearing on what I documented, with odometer and fuel consumption.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:14 AM
fatherdano
Senior User
17mpg in a v10??

for a full tank of gas?

maybe if you were driving downhill with the wind at your back and straight for at least 700+ miles straight without altering your rpms or speed. and then its still not likely especially at 82 mph.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:37 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by UrbanXX
Actually a V-10 is way under torque curve at 2000 RPM but very close at 3000 RPM. What you are failing to grasp is the power band at the higher rpm is more than the usual c/o drag and restiance. With a V-10 surely you must know that it fires on a 72 degree bank instead of the normal 90 degree bank of a typical V style engine. This is one of the reasons the V-10 likes moderate rpms. Between 2000 and 3000 rpms the torque would increase about 30% to 35% or so. So at this point I won't say what you have stated "is not" true" I'll let you decide that with the experience you have.
The torque curve is determined at full power in a dyno setting and while the engine has more available power on tap it doesn't apply with mpg at freeway speeds. Ford and others has spent millions and countless hours to perfect the mpg at low rpms. I doubt the bank (never was 90) plays a role but all modern day engines are most efficient at low rpms (mpg-wise) due to many advances too numerous to mention and is the reason overdrive works. I know it seems the engine is more efficient in the torque curve and it would be at the drag strip but not mpg-wise at freeway speed. I was just kidding with the weed smoking picture, you have always been square with me and I respect your input.
I realize the engine is more in the power band at 3000 rpm but the power and mpg are two different things, the low rpms outweigh the lower power and rpms is what sucks the gas. If you don't believe it run around in second gear all day. The indy 500 cars are in the power band at all times but they aren't trying to save gas. (just threw that in). One more scenario; A vehicle at 90 mph would be more in it's power and torque range but out of it's mpg range mainly due to the higher rpms which is the biggest mpg killer so the rpms etc outweigh being in the "power curve".

Old 05-17-2012, 08:50 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by SteveEbey73742
as is your prerogative, but your belief has no bearing on what I documented, with odometer and fuel consumption.
I just think you made a mistake or you had a huge tailwind. Everone in here is trying to get 15mpg+- but you got 17 at 82 mph and it is a known fact that all vehicles get less mileage at over 60+- no matter what engine/gear combo they have. Mainly because you are bucking more wind but the higher rpms are a gas killer also.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:38 PM
SteveEbey73742
New User
Per the debit card statement, of $103.53 for 29 gallons at 3.57 per gallon.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Receipt for your debit card purchase

Hello Eagle Computers,

Thanks for using your PayPal Debit MasterCard®. Here's a receipt for your records.

Please keep in mind that the amount below is what the merchant temporarily holds until the transaction is complete - it may not be the final purchase price. You'll be able to see the final amount in your account history once the transaction is complete.

If you don't want to receive an email every time you use your debit card, just change your notification preferences.

Amount $103.53 USD
Merchant Kevin's Texas Quick Stop, Vega, TX
Please note that the name of merchant may be different once the transaction is complete.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

do the math yourself.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:52 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
$3.57 a gallon!? Wow...must be nice...

///////////

UrbanXX...do you even know WHY it fires at 72* intervals?

//////////

EXv10. It seemed you wrongly accused Ford of actually putting thought into fuel economy concerning the Excursion. Virtually zero thought went into designing the Excursion. And less than zero thought went into marketing it.

The factory designed the ex to get best mileage at about 2000 rpm and a little under 65mph.
///////////

SteveEbey73742. Your findings are rare. Congratulations. Really. Impressive. Mileage.

///////////

All those folks who believe that the faster you spin an engine the less fuel it uses realize that's as crazy as a man with *****. C'mon, men don't have *****...right !?!

OH GAWD...

Old 05-17-2012, 09:57 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thats gross.
Must..... counteract.. with real female ***** ..... :-o

Old 05-17-2012, 10:06 PM
UrbanXX
Posting Guru
Monsta, the Ford V-10 is actually 2 five cylinder inline engines using a 5 throw crankshaft banked at 72 degrees to keep them even fireing. This is the principal of the Ford V-10 engine. Honestly I do not fully understand the cam design or head design on this engine. I understand the principal of the 2 five cylinder engine and 72 degree block design to make it into a V-10 but other than that I would need help. This engine is very simple in block design but very, very, complex in theory, especially in fuel flow, head, cam and timming. Way, way beyond me.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:43 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Monsta
$3.57 a gallon!? Wow...must be nice...

///////////

UrbanXX...do you even know WHY it fires at 72* intervals?

//////////

EXv10. It seemed you wrongly accused Ford of actually putting thought into fuel economy concerning the Excursion. Virtually zero thought went into designing the Excursion. And less than zero thought went into marketing it.

///////////

SteveEbey73742. Your findings are rare. Congratulations. Really. Impressive. Mileage.

///////////

All those folks who believe that the faster you spin an engine the less fuel it uses realize that's as crazy as a man with *****. C'mon, men don't have *****...right !?!

OH GAWD...
Actually I was speaking of all the former calculations for it it all other Fords that led up to it. Of course it wasn't all dedicated to the Ex.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:46 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

FWIW, the V10 is a 90* block (V angle) not a 72*. It fires at 72*.

An easier way of thinking about the V10 is that it is the 5.4L with an extra cylinder on each bank. The overhead cam design is really no different than any other but one head does employ a balance shaft to eliminate the vibrations that emanate from such a strange firing order. 72* firing in an 90* block makes for weird secondary vibration.

Its design does not make it "like moderate rpms". Most gas engine do. In fact, it makes 94% of its peak torque output below 2000rpms. The 2V was designed to generate 400ft lbs at around 1900rpm.

1900rpms is right around 70mph in OD. (Assuming stock tires and 3.73s)

Old 05-18-2012, 09:47 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Actually I was speaking of all the former calculations for it it all other Fords that led up to it. Of course it wasn't all dedicated to the Ex.
My reply to you was a joke.

Quick Reply: Better mileage at 80mph Vs. 60mph in a V10!??