92 nite, should i buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 04:42 PM
blue76
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 nite, should i buy?

I found a 92 f150 nite for sale, extended cab, 5.8L, 4x4, auto, bucket seats with center console, The body is pretty good, the tranny has been rebuilt and it has new exhaust, it's got 146k miles on it, It seems in decent shape overall, it's pretty faded inside and out though, the dealer is asking $3200. I've look at various values for it and they're kinda all over the place. I know there weren't a lot of these made with this package. What do you guys think?

Old 09-20-2008, 08:15 PM
92 Black Nite
Senior User
Question

Well, as you said there are not that many around. You say $3200.00?? Some people may tell you that's high for it,,,.......I'm not one of them. I would go and check it thoroughly . (1st) See if you can take it to a shop that you trust to check overall mechanical condition and body for excessive rust on a lift,,,,,these missed conditions can add up very quickly $$$$$. If the dealer will not agree,,,To me that would be one red flag. After all you are the buyer and should know ANY problems!!!!!!! Rust is well anywhere ,but on these the ext.cab corners & inner & outer wheel wells usually show up,,,,,,,, If you still want to buy it without a shop checking it out. And if you are a Tech. or Mech. then you know to go over it.
If not well,,,, all fluids that you can check,,, full,,, coolant level,,,eng.oil,,,,master cyl.((( you said new Trans.)))).. fluid will be red (good) brown and smells burnt obviously bad.... These also came with Auto Hubs do they lock and unlock? (manual hub upgrade is better ) 4 x 4 shifting OK???? Well,you get my point check all things from the front suspension to rear (ex. noises,steering feel loose) Dual Tanks?? If so do both pumps work ? does one make unusual noises ( fuel pumps are expensive,) Ford also had a recall for faulty pump check valves,meaning fuel would not return to the tank that was running, causing the fuel to go to the other tank,,,, This is{{{{ FYI }}}} you won't be able to tell until,,,, the FUEL FAIRY suddenly fills you low or empty tank or the FUEL B**CH OVERFLOWS your already full tank. It does happen ..... This is why I am so, passionate to check.... There are good & bad dealers / sellers which way do you want to find out??
Three years ago, I saw a 92 Nite 4 x 4 Ext.Cab Longbox 155"W/B 302 / e4od/ 3.55's / 31x10.5x15's.All Stripes and Nite Decals ....92 Paint pretty good for age, some nicks on bed rails, 2 dings pass.door..small dent apple size front fender,,,.. Just Waxed Looked Great $4850.00.
I was able to take it to a shop... mileage 120,000,"normal wear" brakes,front & rear needed replaced for State insp.OK,, I accept that ,, also did rotors & drums,,ALL 4 tires 3/32--5/32 PA.INSP. passable but not worth crap in wet or snow needed to be replaced. Front driver side upper & lower ball joints bad! Fluids Ok Except coolant low ((Found First Sign of water pump Failure leak at pump vent hole just Starting to weep )) No rusted through body panels but rusted rear inner fender well getting to outer panel.......and both ext.cab corners with raised spots that hide the rust underneath & last the brake tubing from the master cyl.down the driver side frame rail found rusted and close to leaking and of course failure .Well, I went to the seller we talked about it,,,told him I did want to buy it but to be fair not at his asking price. I asked him to check out what I found he said no to that,,,asked me for an offer, I said 3500.00 he said no,,,,,I asked With the above being necssary ,,My only other offer, I told him I could offer was $3800.00------He accepted !!!
I do like mine,Everything works A/C, cruise, tilt wheel p/w,, p/l,, pl/s,4 x 4 with Black window tint,I like the all Black and agean blue & wisteria stripes & Nite decals (Which are not made anymore) If you do find someone with them ,there will be a feeding frenzy when other Nite people see them.
Now go buy that NITE if it is worth it to you? Just look at the good & bad & price!!!
Best Wishes

"TOTO,,,,,,,,,I don't think we're in Kansas anymore"

Old 09-20-2008, 08:59 PM
blue76
Junior User
Thanks for the info, I think the dealer has had it for a while, he sounded flexible on price, I think I'm going to take another look at it and take another test drive. The only thing that bothered me a little was the stiff steering, but first impression seemed like it was a solid truck.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:32 PM
92 Black Nite
Senior User
Wink

Hey, Blue let me know how you do when you go back to see it. You said 5.8,new exh. trans.-4 x 4- and solid....Good luck.....where are you located???

Old 09-22-2008, 02:45 PM
blue76
Junior User
I'm in eau claire wisconsin. After looking at it again i decided against it, the tranny was leaking bad, and the front wheels were cambered in pretty bad, I think the steering gear was bad on it too, it was pretty sloppy. But the motor ran good and the interior was good. But thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I found a 98 f150 that looks promising though. I'll see what happens with that.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:47 PM
nytling92
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I question how valuable a "NITE" edition will be as a collector. They were nothing more than black paint and stickers weren't they? Mine has manual windows and bench seat. I did buy a set on factory floormats and put them away for later. Of course I have chopped the top and suicided the doors now but I don't see these trucks going for any extra.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:39 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Nite's I think had the HO engine, but i'm not 100% sure on this.
My 91 could smoke anything I put it up against except sports cars. *shrugs*
It was way faster then my 95, and my 95 has shorter gears. Everything else is the same, and the 95's have the HO engine.

I know my 91's engine is still rocking the house in another truck right now, and he's got more power then he knows what to do with. Just a 302 as well.

As for susspension, or anyhting like that, nothing special becides different badging and paint.
It's tough to find NITE parts though, if your looking for specific things.
Oh, they had NITE floor mats as well. Forgot about that one.

Ford later had a package simmilar to the NITE package, it was called the "blackout" package.
But the general concept was black as the NITE. No chrome, cept shiny wheels.
Mine came with the Aluminum wheel which were extra, and a PITA to find.

oh forgot.
3200 is higher then blue book price for the truck.
I can't even get 3k for my 95.
Offer him 2, see how he rolls. =)
If its not rusty, and runs good. It would be a decent truck.
I want to find a nice NITE to throw a Diesel motor in and have a trail truck.
I want to be able to hide in the bushes when i turn the lights off, cause there is no shiny stuff. hehe. =)

Old 09-26-2008, 06:58 AM
nytling92
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I have never seen an HO in a Nite. I think it was 92 that Ford started putting the roller motor in the truck, but not the HO. You might have just had a good running motor right out of the factory, it happens. They, the Nites, were much like the Maverick Gabbers, just a trim package nothing more, no tricky suspension, motor upgrades or performance enhancements. Now you could probably get one with any of the upgrades offered for the year.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:01 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Yea, I immagine.
They didn't start the Roller motor's till 94, so they are just regular old trucks that look good.
Guy who I got my truck from could have thrown a cam in, and new lifters and such and didn't say anything.
I've yet to see a 302 run like that one did with 180k on it.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Ford_Tuff26
New User
I have a 1992 nite bronco and i absolutly love it they are solid vehicles and run strong mine has 180,000 miles on it and i've had it looked at by a few shops and the only real need is a tune up I personally feel they are a speacil breed but thats my own opinion.if i were you i would take a real close look at it but these trucks are loads of fun.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:40 PM
92 Black Nite
Senior User
Smile

I bought mine a few years ago, I have not seen any others in my area. 1992 F150 Nite 4x4 Ext.Cab Dark Tinted Windows,,155"wheel base 8ft bed 31x10.5x15's. Power windows & Doors, Cruise control, Tilt wheel & A/C. EVERYTHING on it works, I just like it and I do not know how many there were? But they are Rare Now, I have not seen any Like it and I used to drive over the road. I would not part with it,,for me the All black with the stripes, decals & Dash Trim,,, just looks cool.

1992 BLACK NITE EXT. CAB 4X4 302 E4OD.
1988 BLACK Harley FXRS--Sold
1975 BLACK Thunderbird Blackbird -R.I.P.
2005 BLACK Ford 500-- Sold

Assorted colors
1970 El-camino--BIG JIM--SOLD
1976 F-150 STD.CAB ---R.I.P.
1969 Chevelle SS 396 --Sold--What was I thinking!!!
1969 Pontiac GTO 400 --------Ditto---------
1968 GTX 440-- Good Riddens
1965 Corvette 327- Wish I Knew then what I know now
1963 Impala Convertible 283--Sold
1953 Chevy 6 cyl. 3 speed Floorboard Clutch & brake pedal. 1st. Set of wheel's,
Built like a TANK...Probably still rumbling over everything out there somewhere....LOOK OUT ,,Ha,HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa

Old 10-10-2008, 12:27 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Yea, I want a bronco nite for sure!!!

I'd rather have one of the 80's one's though, they came with 4speeds.
I guess i can put in a clutch in the bronco. =\

Old 10-14-2008, 05:11 PM
Jarma36
Senior User
I have nvr heard of or seen a NITE edition truck, any of you care to post a pic

Old 10-26-2008, 10:30 AM
92 Black Nite
Senior User
I also did not Know that the NITE existed,untill I saw and bought mine a few years ago, I have not seen any others and I used to drive over the road. I tried to put some Pix's up, But it said they were too many MB's????
I'll get more pix's and try again, Jarma

Old 10-26-2008, 10:40 AM
AzBlueWolf
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 92 Black Nite
I also did not Know that the NITE existed,untill I saw and bought mine a few years ago, I have not seen any others and I used to drive over the road. I tried to put some Pix's up, But it said they were too many MB's????
I'll get more pix's and try again, Jarma
the file size is too large for FTE

resize the pics and maybe decrease color depth to 256 colors and you should be fine.

IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide

a FREE, easy to use picture viewer and editor

Quick Reply: 92 nite, should i buy?