Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

(Intermittent) Smouldering dragging brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 12:06 PM
J1MMY
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(Intermittent) Smouldering dragging brakes!

My truck ('83 F100) is turning into a headache - I want to be buying fun bits for it, not rebuilding it!!! Serves me right for buying something that has spent a while stood up

It seems to enjoy dragging the front brakes (not all the time, some journeys it will, some it won't). It was only the left hand front that did it, today both did it and by the time I got it home the (gutless to being with) engine was getting hot from hauling it.

Basic symptoms -

Won't roll in Neutral
Won't creep in Drive
Wheels are HOT HOT HOT
Brake pedal is hard when they're dragging

Is it likely to be the obvious? (Caliper seized) and is it worth getting a rebuild kit or just getting new calipers? Or, is this a character fault with a given model of caliper? The discs are now warped to hell, when the brakes decide they dont want to drag I can feel them juddering under normal braking, so that'll be something else to fork out for

Old 09-18-2008, 01:09 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
New calipers will do it for you, but on a truck that old I would go through the whole brake system. Pull all the wheels off, check & adjust the rears, replace all three rubber brake hoses, inspect all the steel lines for rust, etc.

People seriously neglect the brakes in their vehicles, and a 25 year old truck is going to have a lot of issues.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:42 PM
J1MMY
Senior User
Heh, exactly what I was thinking I may have to do. Checking through your ebay now for calipers, good deals on remanufactured items - makes it seem pointless rebuilding mine! Looking for somewhere that does hose kits.

I have the part no's from the calipers - 3087 & 3078. Are these significant at all?

Old 09-18-2008, 02:53 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by andym
New calipers will do it for you, but on a truck that old I would go through the whole brake system. Pull all the wheels off, check & adjust the rears, replace all three rubber brake hoses, inspect all the steel lines for rust, etc.

People seriously neglect the brakes in their vehicles, and a 25 year old truck is going to have a lot of issues.
I agree but I`m thinking flex hoses. For parts rockauto.com or for original Ford directfordparts.com both have excellent websites and both will ship overseas.

Last edited by Lazy K; 09-18-2008 at 03:16 PM. Reason: should have added
Old 09-18-2008, 02:56 PM
J1MMY
Senior User
Flex hoses? I guess I would know them as braided? (i.e goodrich, earls)

Old 09-18-2008, 03:06 PM
wetsu1
New User
Don't you think its too coincidental that both calipers went bad at once?

I think its more likely elsewhere in your braking system.

I had a car with the same issue where the brakes were dragging, and replaced rotors/calipers/pads and it ended up being the master cylinder.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:17 PM
andym
Post Fiend

It's possible that both calipers are shot. On a 25 year old truck with an unknown repair history, I would just replace them anyway. It *could* be the master cylinder, or someone possibly didn't adjust the pushrod correctly.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:21 PM
J1MMY
Senior User
It was initially just the left that did it, then nothing for a couple of weeks. Then today, it was the left again followed by the right. I will still replace the calipers, discs and pads (the discs are scored and the whole front brakes stink to high hell).

I'd better get looking for a master cylinder. These sorts of parts aren't massively expensive even over here (touch wood) so no excuse for not being thorough. I think however its high time I sold my Cortina though and took this on as a full time project!

Old 09-19-2008, 04:35 AM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Forget about a master cylinder, a defective master cylinder would not cause just one brake to lock up. When one of the brakes locks up slacken the bleed screw on that caliper, if the wheel then frees up you know the problem is a defective flexible rubber brake hose at that caliper. If opening the bleed screw makes no difference then the caliper piston is probably sticking. I think you will find that calipers are, in fact, very expensive while repair kits are cheap.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:17 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
Both my front brakes were dragging the first couple times I drove my truck.

Since then they haven't done it.

I think it was just because the truck had sat for awhile.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:32 AM
ynevada
Senior User
does it happen whether you push the brakes, or not? or is it after several stops are made?

very well could be the mc, and pushrod adjustment. that will effect the left side...first/most. eventually, after enough pedal pushes..it will cause the right side to drag also.
but...do as said above. when theyre dragging, open a bleeder screw, if fluid comes out, and the brake releases, its not the caliper...

Old 09-19-2008, 11:52 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Lazy K
I think you will find that calipers are, in fact, very expensive while repair kits are cheap.
What auto parts store do you shop at? Calipers for this truck should cost, at most, $15 plus core.

You can try to troubleshoot between the caliper and the brake hose, but I'll say it again: on a 25 year old truck, there is really no good reason not to replace all the rubber brake hoses. Two in front and one in back. Rubber dries out and deteriorates over time, and it is always much better to be safe than sorry with brakes.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:10 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
What auto parts store do you shop at? Calipers for this truck should cost, at most, $15 plus core.

You can try to troubleshoot between the caliper and the brake hose, but I'll say it again: on a 25 year old truck, there is really no good reason not to replace all the rubber brake hoses. Two in front and one in back. Rubber dries out and deteriorates over time, and it is always much better to be safe than sorry with brakes.
Yes but did you notice his location? No core, shipping, import duty and sales tax.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:23 PM
andym
Post Fiend
No, I didn't notice that. Yeah, I have no idea what calipers cost overseas.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:26 PM
wetsu1
New User
Originally Posted by Lazy K
Forget about a master cylinder, a defective master cylinder would not cause just one brake to lock up. When one of the brakes locks up slacken the bleed screw on that caliper, if the wheel then frees up you know the problem is a defective flexible rubber brake hose at that caliper. If opening the bleed screw makes no difference then the caliper piston is probably sticking. I think you will find that calipers are, in fact, very expensive while repair kits are cheap.

I agree, and I think the bleeder valve is a good idea. Although he doesn't mention how he knew for sure it was one wheel dragging the brakes, I'm guessing to know this, he would at least had to jack up the truck and try turning the wheels to be sure.

Quick Reply: (Intermittent) Smouldering dragging brakes!