1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What if you channeled an effie?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 10:48 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not so fast there...

Originally Posted by joedellcarter
Ford did everything right in the design of these F-100s. I can't commend someone who would separate the cab from the nose and build something out of spare parts. That was never in style, and unfortunately it's popular now amongst no talent hacks. That cab could have gone to someone who would have held on to it and tried to gather up the other necessary pieces to make a whole one.

Whoever built this contraption took a piece of art and made it into a piece of sh**.

Why is it that just because in your opinion this is not the right thing to do, that you have to get all ruffled up about it??? I strongly suspect that you have no idea what the origin of the parts were for this thing. Granted it's an engineering mess and as mentioned above, it's out of proportion. If that cab was as bad as some that I have encountered it would be too much work and money to restore it, and it probably was no good for a restoration because it has the same problems all the rest do, and it might have been useless for harvesting parts from.

Just because you don't like what the guy did, there is no reason to call him a hack based on what is evident by the pictures in the ebay auction. There are a great many people on this forum who by their own admission could not do what this guy did. Like it or not, there is an ever growing segment of people who are into cars and trucks that like this sort of thing. I have seen some really nice work and some real crap. they cover the whole spectrum. Above all I still have to place those who try to build way above those who criticize.

As for the cab going on to someone who could have used it otherwise, that all sounds warm and fuzzy in a perfect world, but it ain't reality. Believe me, I have held onto stuff like this for years and I couldn't give it away. What happened here is still far better than going to the crusher to buy drugs or rusting away someplace.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:06 AM
merten
Laughing Gas
When I started this thread it was not to poke fun at the builder. It was more of an educational post as this subject has come up before. Some one asked a while back what it would look like if you channeled an effie. This is a real world example. My personal opinion is that it doesn't work because the proportions are way off. The cab is to massive. I have seen this done with '20s and '30s vintage cabs and that does work.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:37 AM
joedellcarter
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's a difference between restoring/restifying something, and just throwing together a bunch of stuff that doesn't belong together. I have no doubt the builder can weld, but it doesn't mean he's talented. There are standards, and people are breaking them for the sake of breaking them.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:49 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Check out the front "suspension", and the size of the frame tubing. I wouldn't even sit in that in a parking lot. Also like how the motor mount brackets reach in about a foot with no apparent gussets.
The size of the frame tubing is not so much the problem as the design and engineering. I mean 4" X 4" is pretty big and no wall thickness is given, so that we don't know. It would have been better to go with a rectangular tube as opposed to the square. I have a two ton engine hoist that is made from smaller stuff than that and I have used it to hoist and move a Bridgeprt mill from a trailer and moved it 25' into my shop as well as having lifted and moved many big heavy welding machines. So far no bends or warps in it and it gets used a lot. Take a look at the structural steel engineering specs for this stuff, It's a lot stronger than you think it is. I have done a lot of fabricating work with this stuff. You would be amazed at the strength that can be achieved with a little bit of common sense engineering. The name of the game nowadays is less weight and more strength.

Later Man...

Old 09-18-2008, 11:50 AM
billy12360
Elder User
Originally Posted by dave boley

If I did do something vaguely along these lines I would be posting it as it went and I bet I would hear all the same stuff about it. In a way that bothers me because I would never engineer something that wasn't bullet proof. That wouldn't stop me from doing it though. as a matter of fact, it would have the opposite effect, it would encourage me. Must be the Darksider in me...

Later Folks...
i actually dont think you would hear to much bad stuff from most of the people on here... if you shoot over to the 61-66 fourms, theres 2 different threads about lowered and slamed slicks... what ive read over there, most of them dont like the idea of them lowered or slamed... but love the way that the guys did their trucks...

Old 09-18-2008, 12:20 PM
john smith jr
Senior User
Unusual.....I guess thats why they make ice cream in chocolate and vanilla.....and then again, some folks are lactose intolerant.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:32 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Good point

Originally Posted by john smith jr
Unusual.....I guess thats why they make ice cream in chocolate and vanilla.....and then again, some folks are lactose intolerant.
Like it heading says, good point... Good, but humorous...

Old 09-18-2008, 12:32 PM
Cyruscosmo
Senior User
I would really like to see that go cart. If you read the descriptiom of that frame material you would have noticed that it is made out of 4" X 4" box. As I said earlier, that would not have been my choice, but even with1/8' wall it would hold up to far more strain than that rig will ever put to it. The fault is in the design and suspension, and not the strength of the material. Take a look at a NASCAR chassis and see what they are built from. Your go cart must have had some monster mill in it...

Later Man...
Well "better" would be my own opinion based on what works and what looks good to me. I will admit that kind of project does not appeal to me but it does not keep me from taking a good look at it for any ideas I may be able to use later on some oddball project I do take a liking too.

When I see a project like that the word "Hack" never comes to my mind. I see someone's attempt to be creative and sometimes it works and sometimes not.

The go-kart of which I spoke was a very early attempt of mine to make something totally out of the ordinary. What else do you do when you get your first welder for Christmas. The engine was out of a Moto Guzzi El Dorado, the front suspension was out of an old Volvo that had the rebuildable shocks as part of the top wishbone assembly. Add two, bucket seats out of a Mustang and a chunk of 6x6x.25 for the mono frame and… yes I said mono frame and the rear suspension from a VW and ya have a rough idea of what my friends all dubbed The Go Kart. It's funny because I had two, bucket seats in it but no one ever wanted to ride with me after the first time. Go Figure…

You wanna build one? Lay a chunk of 6x6 out about 6 feet long, now take a 72 850 Moto Guzzi El Dorado motor and trans and set it at one end. Now take two seats and set them one on either side of the 6x6 and then take the one piece front suspension out of a very old volvo, cut it up so it is not much wider than the seats and set it at the other end of the 6x6. Now take the rear cross member of a VW and cut it up so it is not much wider than the seats and set it just in front of the motor. Now weld enough extra metal on so it all moves as a unit. Bend some black iron pipe around a tree… call it a roll bar… weld it on… add some gas… some wire… a battery and hold on...

Hey when your 17 all kinds of things look perfectly fine to try…

Cyrus

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... HELL YEAH!!! What a trip!

Old 09-18-2008, 01:16 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
Cyrus,

Sounds like fun. When I was the same age...around 17...my brother and I combined a early 70's Honda 175 2cyl 4 stroke motorcycle with the front axle from a 1960 F-100. It took both of us to ride the thing. One guy had to sit on the front of the bike and control the gears and the gas. The other guy sat behind him and held onto the steering wheel from the front axle and controlled (and I use that term loosely) the steering.

That was a fun weekend
Bobby

Old 09-18-2008, 01:40 PM
Cyruscosmo
Senior User
Yup those were the days Huh Bobbytnm ;-)

LOL… Aint it fun when you get your first taste of gasoline powered danger…
I have an old picture of me somewhere sitting on the very first 302 that I rebuilt myself, I had fired it up for the first time and I was sitting on it like it was a horse. You can even see the blue flames coming out of the exhaust ports… It was hanging from the hoist in the garage and was about an hour away from landing in my first mustang. I think back on those days and say something like "If only I knew then what I know now"

I look at old pictures of me and think what a clueless lil dork you actually were…

Cyrus

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... HELL YEAH!!! What a trip!

Old 09-18-2008, 01:43 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyruscosmo
I look at old pictures of me and think what a clueless lil dork you actually were…
LOL...yup, me too (and I think that I'm twice the man I used to be....at least in the waistline)

Bobby

Old 09-18-2008, 03:55 PM
low54
Elder User
If this is real, I'd have to say...someone has a nightmare of a creative side...bummer

Old 09-18-2008, 04:02 PM
low54
Elder User
Why is it that just because in your opinion this is not the right thing to do, that you have to get all ruffled up about it??? I strongly suspect that you have no idea what the origin of the parts were for this thing. Granted it's an engineering mess and as mentioned above, it's out of proportion. If that cab was as bad as some that I have encountered it would be too much work and money to restore it, and it probably was no good for a restoration because it has the same problems all the rest do, and it might have been useless for harvesting parts from.

Just because you don't like what the guy did, there is no reason to call him a hack based on what is evident by the pictures in the ebay auction. There are a great many people on this forum who by their own admission could not do what this guy did. Like it or not, there is an ever growing segment of people who are into cars and trucks that like this sort of thing. I have seen some really nice work and some real crap. they cover the whole spectrum. Above all I still have to place those who try to build way above those who criticize.

As for the cab going on to someone who could have used it otherwise, that all sounds warm and fuzzy in a perfect world, but it ain't reality. Believe me, I have held onto stuff like this for years and I couldn't give it away. What happened here is still far better than going to the crusher to buy drugs or rusting away someplace.

Oh stop it...why don't you just staple orange '70's **** rug on your ford and call it the "the **** rod!"

Old 09-18-2008, 04:59 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by low54
Oh stop it...why don't you just staple orange '70's **** rug on your ford and call it the "the **** rod!"

That stuff is hard to find... OK if I come over and get some from your living room???

Old 09-18-2008, 05:11 PM
low54
Elder User
Nice...! NO you cannot have any of my ****!

Quick Reply: What if you channeled an effie?