S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Train Wreck in Chatsworth

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 09:04 AM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Train Wreck in Chatsworth

This is a bad one - how can this happen?

Train Collision in California Kills 17

Old 09-13-2008, 04:20 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The supervisor & switch operator were literally asleep @ the switch & are going to be fried over this.

I watched this for almost 2 hours waiting for a Call-Out to come in, to be activated for this mess & start a Triage station, no joy. Someone dropped the ball big time!

Old 09-13-2008, 04:21 PM
bla1879
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the metrolink conductor ran a red signal...being fired is the least of a hand full of peoples worries...man slaughter and felony neglect are what they are lookin at...

Old 09-13-2008, 10:59 PM
lascrew
Freshman User
I read online that they think that conductor died. That is the ultimate price for his negligence and supersedes any legality.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:27 AM
bla1879
Fleet Mechanic
they said he was texting while driving the train

Old 09-14-2008, 01:37 AM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Originally Posted by bla1879
the metrolink conductor ran a red signal...being fired is the least of a hand full of peoples worries...man slaughter and felony neglect are what they are lookin at...

Bla

Please re-read my statement, I didn't state "Fired", I stated "FRIED", big difference & don'tcha mean Engineer as in the guy that Drives the train & not the guy that looks after the passengers & punches their tickets, a Conductor does that.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:47 PM
OldMetal
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know a guy who works for AmTrac, he was telling me that they had a lot of people showing up for work either drunk, hungover or on drugs but because of union rules it was very hard to do anything about this so the came up with a plan where they could call in and claim a day off without any reprocussions under this plan. This doesn't mean that drugs or alcohol were involved in this wreck though, it just shows there is a problem with them being used.

Flashman, I'm former fire/EMS and I don't think I would want to go on something like this!

Old 09-15-2008, 03:00 PM
OldMetal
Elder User
Probably not the best time for a joke but here goes.
A new employee and his boss were working along the train tracks when the boss decided to quiz the new kid, so he asks him what he would do if he saw two trains headed at each other on the same track? The kid says he would run inside and call dispatch and tell them to stop the trains. Very good says the boss but what would you do if you couldn't get ahold of dispatch? The kid says he would run over and throw the track switch so the trains would miss each other. Excellent says the boss, but what would you do if the switch was stuck? The new kid thinks for a bit then says he would get on the phone and call his Uncle Joe. Your Uncle Joe, Why would you call him, what can he do asks the boss. Oh he can't do nothing says the kid, it's just that my Uncle ain't never seen a train wreck before.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:51 PM
lascrew
Freshman User
My mom told me today that one of the lady's at her gym lost her husband and that a friend of a past work associate has received brain damage and is in critical condition. She was coming from FIDM in Los Angeles like the unfortunate young lady that passed that was also coming from there.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:24 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Originally Posted by OldMetal
I know a guy who works for AmTrac, he was telling me that they had a lot of people showing up for work either drunk, hungover or on drugs but because of union rules it was very hard to do anything about this so the came up with a plan where they could call in and claim a day off without any reprocussions under this plan. This doesn't mean that drugs or alcohol were involved in this wreck though, it just shows there is a problem with them being used.

Flashman, I'm former fire/EMS and I don't think I would want to go on something like this!
Salutations O.M.

It's part of my Training, the reason I got certified was to help when I could & why I'm part of L.A.F.D.-CERT, formaly a member of the A.R.C. F.A.S.T. & D.A.T & one of those that was activated for 9/11 & Katrina.
My specialty is EFR Medic Team Leader, setting up the Triage Stations & treating Patients as they come in, as I'm unable to do the Heaving & Hoing any more.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:23 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
One of my kids former highschool counslerors, his wife and son were on the train coming back from his mothers funeral, Paul Long was killed his wife and son injured. The conductor survived with two broken legs and a punctured aorta. the engineer was killed in the crash. I have a friend the is an amtrak cunductor it shook him up a bit.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:38 PM
OldMetal
Elder User
I understand what you do Flashman and it's a needed position. It's a good thing people like you are out there!
I was part of rescue/medic ambulance in the back country and the only help we had were volunteer Fire/EMT's, some knew their stuff and others were scary. We covered such a large area that some calls took us a half hour to get there in good weather and I have been on transports where it took us an hour and a half to get to the trauma center because the weather was bad and the medical helicoptes were grounded.
Keep up your good work and thanks for being there.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:57 PM
bla1879
Fleet Mechanic
i went to grace brethren and knew paul long. he was my english teacher...great guy wont ever forget him. its a shame