North Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:Benztechnc

vehicle inspection/registration

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 05:19 PM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
vehicle inspection/registration

I don't know how many of you have seen this already, but I thought it might generate a little discussion in the NC chapter:

Say goodbye to that inspection sticker on your windshield.

Starting in October, drivers no longer will receive date-punched stickers to prove that a car has been inspected and to remind them when next year's checkup is due.

The state Division of Motor Vehicles is replacing the stickers with an online system and new rules that are supposed to give the agency more power to make drivers keep their cars running safe and burning clean.

Under current rules, most cars and trucks have two separate DMV deadlines each year -- a safety and emissions inspection due one month, and a registration renewal due another month.

Some drivers have a hard time keeping track of two dates, and DMV enforcement is uneven.

Out of 3 million cars and trucks subject only to safety inspection rules, just 81 percent comply with the law. For the 4 million vehicles that are supposed to get both emissions and safety checkups, the compliance rate is 94 percent.

With the approval of the General Assembly, DMV is changing the rules to require that car owners get inspections before they can renew their registrations or buy new license tags.

After the changes are phased in over the next two years, every car will have a single deadline date each year for inspection and registration -- with inspection coming first.

Some cars will go as long as 23 months between their last inspection on the old system and their first inspection under the new, synchronized schedule.

Take, for example, a car now due for inspection in November and registration in March. After passing inspection in November 2008 and getting a new registration in March 2009, the car's next inspection and registration deadline will be March 2010.

"It's a better way of doing business," said Gordon Zeigler, who oversees DMV's inspection program. "The consumer has one compliance date they're looking at. They get the vehicle inspected, and then they can go get it registered."

Zeigler hopes to boost the inspection compliance rate to 98 percent.

For the state's 7,000 inspection stations, the change will end the chore of going to a DMV office to buy inspection stickers.

"I won't have to do that legwork," said Rocky Tew, who owns Taylor's Capital Service Station on Hillsborough Street in downtown Raleigh.

"If it works like they say, it will be easier for me -- except for explaining it to the customer. When you pick up the car, you won't have a sticker now. I just took it off."
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/gro...y/1211915.html

Old 09-10-2008, 05:54 PM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder what it will mean for older cars? Since my truck is a 85 I only have to worry about safety inspections and a visual on the emissions.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:48 PM
MAKO314
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how about diesels? how will this work with them.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:55 PM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Sounds like it time to leave this Communist copy of California

Old 09-10-2008, 06:58 PM
MAKO314
Cargo Master
I just got back from that s#^@ hole two weeks ago. we have got it made compared to them. they're half the reason for the gas prices they have their own blends of gas that have to sold there..

Old 09-10-2008, 07:00 PM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Better run back to Tenn while you still can

Old 09-10-2008, 07:03 PM
MAKO314
Cargo Master
I was thinking more of moveing to europe this whole country's going to h3ll in a bucket come january

Old 09-10-2008, 07:04 PM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by MAKO314
I was thinking more of moveing to europe this whole country's going to h3ll in a bucket come january
You must be voting ot Body Odor Obama.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:11 PM
MAKO314
Cargo Master
that crap aint funny Cliff I don't like you no moreI aint voting neither canidate is worth the powder to blow his head off

Old 09-10-2008, 07:13 PM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
I'm voting for McCain so that VP can run things. So BITE ME!!!!!!

Old 09-11-2008, 04:44 AM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I don't think that the actual inspection itself will change, just when you have to get it done. Plus, there will be no more inspection stickers on the windshield.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:51 AM
DaMole
Posting Guru
Well my inspections been up for the last 4 months or so. Im guessing I need to get it done before they start this mess.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:57 PM
ncfirefighter46
Elder User
cant own guns over there,

Old 09-13-2008, 10:14 PM
ncfirefighter46
Elder User

Frequently-asked questions about the electronic inspection program.

1. Why are we changing the way we perform safety and emissions inspections?

We are not changing the way we perform safety and emissions inspections, but only the way we record the results. In the past, vehicle owners would receive a windshield sticker to note the vehicle had passed its inspection and the month its next inspection was due. Beginning October 1, 2008, when you have your vehicle inspected, you will no longer receive a windshield sticker. At that time, your next vehicle inspection date will be due the same month date on your vehicle license tag.
<DIR><DIR>
2. What does this new system achieve for vehicle owners, for the environment, for the state?
For the first time, inspections will be synchronized to vehicle owners’ ability to renew their registration. Because owners will not be able to renew their vehicle’s registration until after it has passed its safety and/or emissions inspection, the state expects inspection compliance to increase to 97 percent. Increased compliance means vehicles will be kept in better running order, their emissions properly controlled, and the emissions fees will be paid as required.

</DIR></DIR>
3. Will safety and emissions inspection fees increase?
Safety inspection fees will increase from $9.10 to $13.60. Emissions inspection fees will remain the same, $30.
  1. [*]
  2. [*]
<DIR>
6. How will my inspection change on or after October 1, 2008?
When you go to get your inspection on or after October 1, you will go through the same process you always have. The mechanic will inspect and test your vehicle, you will pay for the inspection and receive a receipt and inspection report, but you will not receive a windshield sticker showing your car has been inspected. Instead, a record of your vehicle’s inspection will be entered electronically into the DMV vehicle registration database. Then, your next inspection will be due the same month your vehicle registration renewal is due. It is important to note that no vehicle will have to be inspected more than once in a 12-month period.
</DIR>
  1. [*]
  2. [*]
  1. [*]
  2. [*]
11. Which should I get first, my vehicle registration or my inspection?
Your vehicle must pass inspection before its registration can be renewed. You may have your vehicle inspected up to 90 days prior to your annual vehicle registration due date, but it must be inspected no later than the last day of the month your vehicle registration expires or your registration will be blocked.
  1. [*]
  1. [*]
  1. [*]
  2. [*]
  1. [*]
  2. [*]
18. My vehicle is due for inspection, but I will be out of the state. What do I do?
A person who is out of state may obtain an emissions inspection in the jurisdiction where the vehicle is located in lieu of an inspection in North Carolina as long as it meets the requirements of 40 C.F.R 51. For a detailed list, click here. {http://www.autocenter.weber.edu/OBD-CH/obdstatus-1.html}
  1. [*]
  1. [*]
21. Are some older vehicles exempt from an emissions inspection?
Yes. If a vehicle is a model 1995 or older, it is exempt from having an emissions inspection.
  1. [*]
  2. [*]
  1. [*]

Old 09-13-2008, 10:17 PM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ncfirefighter46
cant own guns over there,

So when are you and Ashley moving?

Quick Reply: vehicle inspection/registration