6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

EGR cooler up pipe removal instructions

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 05:44 PM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by glm racers
Thank you.
This is exactly what I've been trying to find
Would you have the procedure to bypass the EGR cooler i.e. use the stock up-pipe, that has been blocked, and re-route the coolant lines from the oil cooler back to the water pump??
I'd like to keep my cost down by blocking the stock up-pipe and using the cooler to support the flex joint.
Also, by eliminating the exhaust flow to the egr valve would the valve send a CEL code??
I have an 03 build date 1/1/03
Thanks,
Gilbert
Thanks guys, glad to be of help here on FTE.
and to answer your question regarding the cooler delete;
There is only one kit that I know that fits what you are looking for however it's very pricy, but it will support the 'y' in the factory up-pipe.
Maybe someone out there knows a cheaper way of supporting the pipe. Or for just over $200 you can get a solid pipe built like what 'firstcoastdiesel' offers.
Otherwise your best bet is to remove the intake to get to the existing egr cooler and mod the thing yourself.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:10 AM
glm racers
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Benchwrench
Thanks guys, glad to be of help here on FTE.
and to answer your question regarding the cooler delete;
There is only one kit that I know that fits what you are looking for however it's very pricy, but it will support the 'y' in the factory up-pipe.
Maybe someone out there knows a cheaper way of supporting the pipe. Or for just over $200 you can get a solid pipe built like what 'firstcoastdiesel' offers.
Otherwise your best bet is to remove the intake to get to the existing egr cooler and mod the thing yourself.
Benchwrench,
Is this illustration a stock cooler or a modify one? And if it's the latter of the two were can I purchase one.
I went over to the firstcoastdiesel web site, but they only have an up-pipe and a complete intake manifold.
Or do they take your exsisting cooler and modify like the illustration?

Old 09-19-2008, 01:23 PM
w_huisman
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLM- The bottom three pieces in the picture are used to replace the cooler. The cooler is stock.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:35 PM
glm racers
Senior User
Originally Posted by w_huisman
GLM- The bottom three pieces in the picture are used to replace the cooler. The cooler is stock.
Thanks W_huisman,
do you know were I can purchase these parts?

Old 09-19-2008, 06:37 PM
jerzydiver
Senior User
The site that has them is Home

Old 09-19-2008, 08:50 PM
Tim98TA
Senior User
$595.00?!?!?!!!!!!!!
Damn I could roll my own for that much

Old 09-20-2008, 02:24 AM
w_huisman
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think that picture is the $595 Liberator kit.

The Liberator website says their $595 kit comes with a solid up-pipe without an EGR flange. The round flange on the end of the flat stock in the picture is for clamping to and capping the EGR connection to the up-pipe. Since the up-pipe in the Liberator kit doesn't have the egr flange, that part in the picture wouldn't be needed.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:12 AM
glm racers
Senior User
The only part that I'm interested in is the tube & support clamp that re-directs the coolant from the oil cooler back to the water pump. I plan on capping the oem up pipe and supporting it to prevent the flex part from cracking. $600 bucks for those three pieces is ridiculous; so anyone know were I can purchase the tube??

Old 09-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
oops, double post

Old 09-28-2008, 01:50 PM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
sorry, haha made another mistake. I'm trying to put my post in the tech forum and biffed it again.
I was wanting to add the pictures for future reference.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:21 PM
brickie
Cargo Master
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by w_huisman
I don't think that picture is the $595 Liberator kit.

The Liberator website says their $595 kit comes with a solid up-pipe without an EGR flange. The round flange on the end of the flat stock in the picture is for clamping to and capping the EGR connection to the up-pipe. Since the up-pipe in the Liberator kit doesn't have the egr flange, that part in the picture wouldn't be needed.
That is the kit they sent me a couple years ago, it had a set of intake gaskets with it.I nearly $h!+ when I opened it and saw what I had paid over 500 bucks for.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:36 PM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by glm racers
The only part that I'm interested in is the tube & support clamp that re-directs the coolant from the oil cooler back to the water pump. I plan on capping the oem up pipe and supporting it to prevent the flex part from cracking. $600 bucks for those three pieces is ridiculous; so anyone know were I can purchase the tube??
This picture shows just one way you can do that.
This is what's left of a cooler.
Some crackerhead thought it looked a crackpipe so the name stuck and became dubbed "the crackpipe mod"
At anyrate, this mod will be alot cheaper than $600 and fits the bill to what you were asking. I like the idea too.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:43 PM
stinky phil 3
New User
Will this find a way into the tech. folder?

Old 09-29-2008, 11:33 PM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
Yes, it's already there in the tech folder under the first link entitled "EGR Disconnect Instructions" post #834

Old 09-30-2008, 01:05 PM
glm racers
Senior User
Originally Posted by Benchwrench
This picture shows just one way you can do that.
This is what's left of a cooler.
Some crackerhead thought it looked a crackpipe so the name stuck and became dubbed "the crackpipe mod"
At anyrate, this mod will be alot cheaper than $600 and fits the bill to what you were asking. I like the idea too.

that looks very ingenious. I take it that he cut open a cooler and used the inner tube to complete the water flow passage???

I don't know what a new EGR cooler sells for, but I'm going to start looking at either a used or new one on ebay to perform the crack pipe mod. Surely it can't be more than $600?

I've never pulled my EGR valve, but I now have frequent P0401 codes, so I'm thinking that the valve is sticking.
I have an 03 with 75k miles on a bone stock engine.

Quick Reply: EGR cooler up pipe removal instructions