1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Electric Fans, The TEXAS test.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 12:08 AM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Electric Fans, The TEXAS test.

Well, I got my fans today and I'm pretty excited. However, I was gonna install them tomorrow night, but I think IKE is gonna smack our weather around like Tina. But if it clears I may go ahead.

My goal of this thread is to let you guys know my experience with ELECTRIC COOLING FANS ON A POWERSTROKE.

Most threads you read are back a fourth on, "yes the are good enough", "no they are not if you pull heavy." It's been my observation that guys they work for, are in the northern, or cooler states. Most guys they don't work for, pull like hell, alot. Hell, some guys don't even have a fan on their truck!!

I like to think that I am well rounded as far as truck use. I daily drive it, I pull both light and heavy from time to time. But the big factor here is, the sun itself is usually riding shotgun. People, it has been ***** hot over here. And I can't think of a better way to test these fans.

I'll do a full writeup on the install since they are for the Superduty, and not our trucks.

So to start, here are some pics of the fans and my helpers.

I ordered them from Jegs Part # 400-278 and they were $606.23.

Attached Images   
Old 09-13-2008, 12:57 AM
maverick1701
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been looking forward to a thread like this....I am intrested to see how it works out. Keep up the good work cody
-Chris

Old 09-13-2008, 02:36 AM
kawa
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cody,
That whole unit installs against the radiator and between the engine?
(After the fan has been removed)

Rog

ps
Now I know how you get so much done, that short "Pit Crew" can be all over and under that truck in a heart beat.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:32 AM
73strokin
Senior User
Cody, I've looked at this setup myself and have always wondered, whats the difference with the Flexalite system that it's only listed for the SuperDuty 7.3 and not the OBS?

Old 09-13-2008, 10:04 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking forward to this report! Got you some good helpers too! I only wish you had an auto trans for this test. they are a big heat load as well.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:08 AM
93f1505.0L
Elder User
Ive been looking to do this to, just with two fans tha I already have. What amps do they draw? how big are the fans?

Old 09-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Theoretically, in my mind, fans should do just as good or better a job then stock fan.
Why?
Because you are focusing air THOUGH the radiator. You should create enough wind chill with the pull to cool the coolant down.
The air will still blow on the engine like normal, and stir air inside the engine compartment.
The only difference I see with a stock to an electric setup is that the electric fans are only pulling air though the radiator. This is good! because thats where you want the cooling to happen. However, your not pulling random air from elsewhere into the engine bay to help cool the bay down. A stock serpentine fan just pulls air from anywhere and pushes backwards.

in my eyes, electric fans, if setup right, will always out perform a serpentine system.

I look foward to your results. =)

Old 09-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Looks good Cody! be sure to keep us posted!

-Robb

Old 09-13-2008, 01:19 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Thanks for doing this, RD. I'm also interested in your results. This is a conversion I've been considering for awhile now.

I'll have to go to the Jegs website and check out this unit.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:12 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm eager to see what happens also. That's quite the fancy setup!

Old 09-13-2008, 05:26 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Talyn
Theoretically, in my mind, fans should do just as good or better a job then stock fan.
Why?
Because you are focusing air THOUGH the radiator. You should create enough wind chill with the pull to cool the coolant down.
The air will still blow on the engine like normal, and stir air inside the engine compartment.
The only difference I see with a stock to an electric setup is that the electric fans are only pulling air though the radiator. This is good! because thats where you want the cooling to happen. However, your not pulling random air from elsewhere into the engine bay to help cool the bay down. A stock serpentine fan just pulls air from anywhere and pushes backwards.

in my eyes, electric fans, if setup right, will always out perform a serpentine system.

I look foward to your results. =)
i agree, esp since setting up elec fans on the bronco!

i cant wait to hear how it goes. i have always wanted to add elec fans to my rig just because they are so much more effecient, esp in the winter

-cutts-

Old 09-13-2008, 06:04 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Any idea what the CFM rating is on them?

Old 09-13-2008, 08:51 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scatgo
Any idea what the CFM rating is on them?
it doesnt say on jegs website, but in the catalog it says 6200 cfm.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:57 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 73strokin
Cody, I've looked at this setup myself and have always wondered, whats the difference with the Flexalite system that it's only listed for the SuperDuty 7.3 and not the OBS?
the one that cody is installing is the one that is listed as only for the superduty. any electric fan will work on any vehicle as long as it will fit the radiator.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:25 PM
stevorino
Senior User
Wouldn't the belt driven fan cool just the radiator if the shroud around the fan is in place. My fan is recessed pretty well into the shroud. I can't see the fan pulling from just anywhere in the engine compartment.

Quick Reply: Electric Fans, The TEXAS test.