1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 02:35 PM
kawa
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nightmare

my neighbor just bought a new 2008 350 Superduty Ranch King CC Dually.

I opened the hood and OH my Gawd, you could roll a ball from fender to fender. It has Dual Turbo's and a whole lot of other unidentifiable moving and/or stable objects. On the driver's side I was able to see about 3 square inches of valve cover. On the pass side....forget it.

This new SD truck really made me appreciate my OBS and the availability to service it. Plus, I have no payments.

If you haven't seen under the hood of one of these monsters you need to do yourself a favor and take a looksee, you will really appreciate what you have.

Rog

Old 09-11-2008, 02:47 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i havent looked under the hood of one yet, but they sure are fun to drive if i had 45k dollars burning a hole in my pocket id have one sitting in my driveway right now. the only thing i dont like about them is they are too quiet.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:51 PM
WALJON
Posting Guru

Yeah a guy I work with just bought one I had a peek see and your rite I sure appreciate what I have but man can that thing pull he has a 70D john deer with a brush head and it pulls it like nothing and his boost gauge hits 40 psi no problem but I guess you can do that with two turbo,s bad on fuel though.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:10 PM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
ya, too quiet, but they are easy to make power in...
Until you need injector or turbo work. you'll need to remove the cab
that's not a joke, they're discussing the best way in the 08 sections.
Yes, that would be my nightmare. considering i can get to my exhaust manifolds from top or bottom... i couldnt imagine doing that in an 08.
can anyone do me a favor? grab a dictionary and look up "shoehorned"... i bet you'll see a pic of the 08 there lol

Old 09-11-2008, 06:23 PM
maverick1701
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by secondarychaos
ya, too quiet, but they are easy to make power in...
Until you need injector or turbo work. you'll need to remove the cab
that's not a joke, they're discussing the best way in the 08 sections.
Yes, that would be my nightmare. considering i can get to my exhaust manifolds from top or bottom... i couldnt imagine doing that in an 08.
can anyone do me a favor? grab a dictionary and look up "shoehorned"... i bet you'll see a pic of the 08 there lol
shoehorned...LMAO

They already do that w/the 07 body style trucks....my parents truck (6.blow) had to have some engine work (something pretty simple) done and they lifted the entire body (F350 CC) off the frame/engine...since everything is electronic I guess its pretty easy to separate everything

Old 09-11-2008, 10:08 PM
Gobstopper909
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
your right about the price.. wouldnt pay that much for a truck...but will probly have that much in mine when im done with it. but those king ranch seats are to die for... wish i could snag a set for the green giant. by far the most comfortable-est (yes it is a word) seat i've sat in.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:19 PM
kawa
Postmaster
My neighbor had a 2004 SD CC Dually 2X4 and 2 days out with his fiver he lost all boost as well as power. He was able to limp back as long as he didn't demand much power.

The word that he was getting were possible head gasket and/or head replacement so he traded it in. It was in great shape w/120K but they only gave him 11K for his truck.(they didn't know about the problem)

I don't know what he ended up paying but I'm sure it was around 30-35K with the trade in.

Looking under the hood well, it screams dealership or diesel shop repairs for the average guy. IMHO

I'm not sure where you would put gauges, it comes with water temp, oil press. boost, & oil press. Then they molded in a humongous grab handle on the driver's door post.

Nice truck though no gettin' around that.

Rog

Old 09-12-2008, 11:41 AM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
no doubt it's a nice truck, but you'd have to remove some sort of body panel to put in an EGT gauge..

Old 09-12-2008, 12:11 PM
kawa
Postmaster
This truck would certainly be a candidate for one of those "All in one" gauges like the one TJ has. I think that they just plug into that diagnostic port under the dash.

Actually.......I'm a little jealous, you are so right that is a nice truck, that is, to own and drive. Not to repair.

Rog

Old 09-12-2008, 12:28 PM
maverick1701
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was cruising next to an F450 King Ranch today....it was a BIG truck...

Old 09-12-2008, 02:51 PM
glasseater
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
they have i think 4 EGT probes in the exhaust already lol one before the first turbo, one after the second turbo, another before the DPF and another after i believe... no need to isntall gauges on these, just get an all-in-one digital gauge

Old 09-12-2008, 05:08 PM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
Ah, digital... that may make it a worth-while truck.
Ya, they're nice all around, and X2 on the KR seats... OHHH they are nice.
Too bad that DPF prevents them from going over 60 psi... lol what a terrible problem...

Old 09-13-2008, 01:39 PM
2 stroke man
Postmaster
cab even has to be removed to do vavle cover gaskets