6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

EGR cleaning and disconnect - more ??s

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 10:58 AM
clinter36
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR cleaning and disconnect - more ??s

I recently cleaned my EGR valve (03 Excursion 6.0) and had intended to disconnect it. My truck was built in 01/2003 according to the plate on the drivers door. After carefully cleaning the EGR I pulled the intake elbow and contrary to the posting I have read, there was no throttle plate to remove...? (or any signs of one having been there) Any ideas?

After carefully inspecting the valve and intake routing, I am not sure that unplugging the wires prevents EG from entering the intake. Possibly the opposite.

Is there any definite knowledge of how the valve itself works?

Here is what I observed: There are two exhaust chambers above the intake chamber. The EGR valve itself is closed in its natural state - that is to say that both the upper and lower valves are all the way up (they are connected together). However, it is quite easy to push the valves down or in a open state which would allow exhaust gasses to flow from both upper and lower chamber down to the intake chamber.

I am not sure how much pressure is developed in those exhaust chambers, but if it's before the turbo (or possibly even after) I would think it has to be significant. Also, knowing that the EGR valve is closed under full throttle I would think that the valve would need to hold it self closed or EG would push through the valve. This would leave me to believe that disconnecting the EGR valve - while possibly keeping it from fully opening - would also keep it from fully closing?

In light of this, it seems the best way to is EGR delete....any ideas on who makes a good kit. Does the cooler need to be disconnected? There must be a way to simply plug the holes.

Thanks,
Clint

Old 09-11-2008, 11:22 AM
KRDiesel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First, Welcome to FTE, Jump right in!!

It is hit or miss on the EGR plates. Most of the time it was late 03 and early 04.

The EG comes in through the middle chamber and flows to the top and bottom chambers. If you are under boost it will hold the valve closed on the 03 trucks. That is one reason they changed the down pipe for the late 04 on models.

Now here is the hard part, If you are running a newer flash disconecting the EGR causes problems. If the PCM does not see flow it locks the VGT Turbo into "Safe" mode.

How many miles do you have. The EGR is covered under the 5/100k diesel warranty.

Also I see you are from CT. you may have a state emmissions warranty that also covers it.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:26 AM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The safe mode you speak of just keeps the boost at around 24-25 psi max and really causes no drivability concerns, but quick way around that is to just buy another egr valve and plug it in but having it sit on top of the motor

Old 09-11-2008, 11:26 AM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's some info from the Ford Doctor on EGR operation: FDDTS - Diesel EGR

From posts on here I believe most of the guys just weld it in the shut position to 'delete' it's operation. A full EGR system delete includes removing the EGR cooler and using a bypass hose or tube in it's place. You would also need to block off the exhaust flow from the up-pipe.

EGR and EGR cooler: http://www.backglass.org/duncan/ps60...l/ps60_037.jpg

EGR cooler: http://www.backglass.org/duncan/ps60...l/ps60_038.jpg

Exhaust to EGR, pic 14, #3: http://www.backglass.org/duncan/ps60...l/ps60_011.jpg

EGR delete thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...-and-info.html

Old 09-11-2008, 11:36 AM
KRDiesel
Postmaster
Originally Posted by rollerstud98
The safe mode you speak of just keeps the boost at around 24-25 psi max and really causes no drivability concerns, but quick way around that is to just buy another egr valve and plug it in but having it sit on top of the motor

It also has a effect on the "off the line" performance. The vanes are locked in a middle position .

If you have the inductive heat flash the PCM used the MAF to detect EGR flow, and will set safe mode even with a valve pluged in.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:53 AM
clinter36
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great info...thanks!

Currently there are 44,000 miles on the truck. I just bought it. The PCM was just flashed with the most recent engine and trans updates.

There doesn't seem to be any problem with the EGR. It was really dirty, but after a good careful cleaning, it seems to be working fine. I was amazed how much soot and oil was in the intake, and this was the primary reason I wanted to disconnect it. I am not too worried about getting more power...although a little help with MPGs is always welcome.

It sounds like I am better off leaving it connected and cleaning it every 20,000 or so....?

Clint

Old 09-11-2008, 11:56 AM
KRDiesel
Postmaster
Yep, before the newer flashes it was a good idea to disconnect the valve.

BTW the oil comes from the CCV system. look up CCV mod for more info.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:31 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KRDiesel
It also has a effect on the "off the line" performance. The vanes are locked in a middle position .

If you have the inductive heat flash the PCM used the MAF to detect EGR flow, and will set safe mode even with a valve pluged in.

My 6.0 is snappier off the line then my dads 6.4, if anything it has helped to reduce lag at starts for some reason. When I had to do a relearn for my truck though it was a real dog until I forced it to do a burnout, so much so that it wouldn't even break the tires loose at first, once they let go though the truck has had a lot more jump to it, don't know why.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:50 PM
KRDiesel
Postmaster
Cool, burnouts fixing problems, i need to try that