Does anyone make a turbo, or supercharger kit for a 5.4l in and F-350?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 10:04 PM
fherb
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone make a turbo, or supercharger kit for a 5.4l in and F-350?

It looks like all the manufacturers of aftermarket performance products only make kits for 5.4l F-150's SD's with 5.4l's are ignored.
Does anyone know of any sources?

Old 09-18-2008, 10:31 PM
foxracing0934
Posting Guru
I've seen a V10 with a whipple charger on it, you might want to start looking there. Or maybe calling them up. But i would think that a 5.4 in a 150 is the same as a 5.4 in a 350, so i would think that the supercharger could be used with either. It could be that they dont want work trucks using them and making them fail sooner because of the more constant load, so they dont offer them for the trucks that typically work with heavy loads more. Just a thought.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:23 PM
fherb
New User
Thanks! Does anybody know how much boost you can safely run on a stock 5.4?
I think it has 9. something static compression. I think that doesn't allow for much boost, and I don't want to change out the pistons.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:28 PM
RagunCajun
Senior User
I wouldnt push 9. I would try 6 at the most since it's a big truck. That engine is working to push a lot of weight as it is. In all honesty, i wouldnt spend the $$ to do it. You would be better off IMO buying a diesel truck. More power, better mpg and the engine will last and last.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:00 PM
fherb
New User
That's what I thought.
Selling it isn't an option at this point, and to be honest, the performance isn't bad.

If I can get another 50HP or so out of it without damaging anything, I'll be happy.
I think I can probably do that without forced induction anyway.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:47 PM
meanv10
Elder User
What year is the 5.4L?

but the 99-04
try
Vortech
Paxton
Pro charger
Nobody makes a positive displacement blower for the v10 anymore and the only way to get one is used like off ebay and the newest kit kenne bell and whipple came out with was 04.
If its 05+
the magnacharger blower might fit the F350 but I'm not sure

As for Turbo kits the only kit is a STS universal kit.

Most blowers run 6 to 8 psi of boost and if you want more you can get water/meth injection, Inter cooler, or run higher octane gas. Nut you will need to be running 93 if you put a blower on.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Skoda
Elder User
Hey mean V10 have you ever taken your truck to the dyno to see what see puts out?

Old 10-09-2008, 07:39 PM
meanv10
Elder User
I did once when i had the FMU and they wouldn't do a full pull with it because right at WOT it had an AFR of 15.5 when they quite though the computer showed 330ftlbs and 230horse the guy doing the dyno said for the length of the pull (very short) it was making a lot of torque. and i haven't been back there since doing the injectors, plugs and chip. I will someday though.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:56 PM
meanv10
Elder User
wrong page my bad

Old 10-11-2008, 03:44 PM
RagunCajun
Senior User
I'm not sure the best route to add some power with the 5.4 n/a engine. I would say a chip would add a little but you need to run premium fuel. There's full exhaust, throttle body and other nic-nac things. It get's pricey. Then a dyno tune would bring out the best. That's another $300 or so dollars. Id say just leave it as is. My cousin has a f250 superduty. It has a good bit of power. It pulls a trailor pretty much 99% of the time. Very good engine and drivetrain combo.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:41 PM
fherb
New User
Yeah, I think your right. The more I drive it, the happier I am with it. I better just leave it alone. It appears to already have headers on it, and large diameter dual exhaust (2 cats) all the way back to a very large muffler, and single tail pipe. Very quiet. I bet it's the same exhaust used on the V10.
I'm not sure an aftermarket exhaust could do any better.

Oh, it's an '08, 300HP stock, 4.10 rear, automatic.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:22 PM
meanv10
Elder User
You also might find it has more power after it has been broken in. if it hasn't already

Old 11-12-2008, 08:40 AM
bowtied_micky
Senior User
call me crazy, but if a roush charger will fit under the hood of a f150 there should be tons of room for your Super Duty. I realize the Roush stuff is expensive, but if memory serves you get to keep your factory warranty. I think they also make shorty headers as part of a package.

If you don't want to spend all that cash, get a edge evolution programmer. I have one on my 06 f150 5.4 and the difference is very noticeable. I read once that in performance mode (requires 91 octane) that there was a 49 hp increase on a dyno. it was in a magazine and they showed the dyno charts. I drive with mine in tow mode (87 octane gas) and really really like it.

micky

Old 12-22-2009, 12:29 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been researching superchargers kits for the Super Duty (SD) trucks with the 5.4L 3V engine for the past 6 months. No one makes a kit for the SD trucks, only the F150. That said, these kits can be adapted to the SD trucks. I have contacted Roush and Whipple to obtain the following information:

Roush - Roush offers two different kits. The "basic" kit costs $2,400 and adds 112HP and 112TQ. However, this kit does not include an intercooler or injectors. The "advanced" kit costs $4,999 and adds 145HP and 143TQ. This kit includes an intercooler and injectors. A standard 7 psi is included in both of these kits. Both kits include a "Bridge Assembly" and very detailed instructions for a proper install.

Both kits require the purchaser to send your PCM to Roush for re-calibration. Here is the rub... Roush will not re-calibrate the PCM for a SD truck because of the Torqshift transmission. I asked Roush of they would provide the engine "parameters" (Data Sheet) but they declined. This means that you will be required to have both the engine and transmission "custom" tuned by a qualified individual. I estimate that the custom tune will cost approximately $1,500, which includes dyno runs.

Basic Kit:
ROUSH Performance: ROUSHcharger Kit - Ford F-150 Supercharger
Installation Guide:
http://store.roushperformance.com/im.../R07000001.pdf

Advanced Kit:
ROUSH Performance: ROUSHcharger w/ Intercooler - Ford F-150 Supercharger
Installation Guide:
http://store.roushperformance.com/im...pdf/401633.pdf

Whipple - Whipple offers one kit that costs either $4,920.99 (black) or $5,395.99 (polished) and adds 175HP and undisclosed TQ. This kit includes an intercooler but no injectors. Whipple takes a simpler approach to the pulley system and does not include a "Bracket Assembly" in their kit. This kit uses a standard 8 psi but alternate pulley's ($129.99) can be purchased to increase the psi. At 12 psi or higher, both higher rate injectors and a higher rate fuel pump are required.

Whipple provides a Ford Racing tuner. However, it is unlikely that you can use this tuner directly on the SD truck. This means that you will need to find a qualified individual to determine the engine "parameters" then develop tranmission "parameters" then upload them to your tuner that accommodates the Torqshift transmission. I estimate that the custom tune will cost approximately $800, which includes dyno runs.

Black Kit:
Whipple 05-06 F150/250 5.4L W140 Intercooled Complete Kit(Black) [WK-200330B] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

Polished Kit:
Whipple 05-06 F150/250 5.4L W140 Intercooled Complete Kit-Polish [WK-200330P] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

Installation Guide:
I have the Whipple installation guide in .pdf format but am not able to upload it to this thread. I can email it to you, if requested.

If you compare the Roush and Whipple installation guides, you will see that Whipple takes a more simple approach. To my knowledge, Roush does not offer alternate pulley's, which makes sense because the Roush kit will not void your factory warranty on the F150 truck. However, if you install the Roush kit on a SD truck, the factory warranty will probably be voided.

In short, the Roush "Advanced" kit seems to be the most complete including an intercooler and injectors. However, all tuning of the engine and transmission will be the responsibility of the purchaser. Also, there are not upgrades offered by Roush. The Whipple kit includes the intercooler but no injectors. If you want more performance, the Whipple kit can accommodate it with alternate pulley's, new injectors, and possibly a new fuel pump. In either case, you will need to have "custom" tunes developed by a qualified individual.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:40 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You may want to contact Troyer Performance since they have already developed custom tunes for the Roush kit on the F150 truck. See link below for details...

Troyer Performance - Roush Superchargers .: News

Quick Reply: Does anyone make a turbo, or supercharger kit for a 5.4l in and F-350?