Vacation Plans Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 04:26 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Vacation Plans Help!

Hey everyone,
My parents are flying in this weekend are staying for a week. We are planning to drive up to Lassen NP for a day or so and then over to Redwoods NP for a couple of days. We are going to cut across through Whiskeytown area between the parks. I am hoping none of us gets car sick.

Anyone know of any "must-see" places anywhere along the route? Any suggestions appreciated.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:01 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
Do you have a budget?

The Napa wine train is kind of fun. It's not too expensive. The Napa folks don't like it much, but for the rest of us it is pretty cool.

http://winetrain.com/

Last edited by AnOldDog; 09-10-2008 at 08:27 PM. Reason: added url
Old 09-11-2008, 03:06 PM
fyre82
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It kinda depends on what route you take up to Lassen.
Hwy 70 through the Feather river canyon is/was a nice drive. I don't really know how much of that burned up this year, Then 89 over into the park and through the park and down 44 into Redding. Out 299 to the coast. Neither the feather river or trinity canyons are that bad, they are twisty, but if you are sight seeing it's not bad.

A trip through Lassen Park is a must. If you go into Chester there is a logging museum at the Collins Pine Mill in town and some kinck knack shopping in old town.

When you get to the coast, check out Trinidad, Arcata for some 'local color' and enjoy the Redwood Park. It's diversity from the coastal rain forest to the higher praries is awesome. There are a couple of smaller state parks integrated into Redwood that have some really easy trails to walk for a great look at the big trees. I think the first one is Prarie Creek. Look for Rooseveldt Elk in the parks and along the highway.
Oh yeah, Patrick Point is pretty awesome too. Take the frontage road from trinidad to Patrick Point for some great views on the north coast and maybe even some whale spouts. Humboldt state also has a marine research place in Trinidad just up from the bay and is open during the week.

One of my favorite places to stay is the View Crest Lodge just north of Trinidad. Look 'em up on the net for info. http://www.viewcrestlodge.com/

Good luck and have a great trip, I wish I was there to have a meet with you.

Cheeers
Rich

Old 09-11-2008, 03:07 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Just north of Redding on lake Shasta are the Shasta Caverns. Used to go there a lot when I was a kid, pretty darn good as caverns go:

Welcome To Lake Shasta Caverns: Three Adventures in One!

On 299 west of Redding, once you get into Trinity county, is the historic town of Weaverville. You'll find a couple of good museums there, including the Joss House:

Weaverville Joss House SHP

Eureka has a nice waterfront area, not as crowded and touristy as Fisherman's Wharf in SF:

http://www.northernredwoods.com/about_eureka.html

Those are just some ideas...I used to live outside Rdding so I'm pretty familiar with the area.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:41 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Thanks Chet, Rich and Dan,

Chet- Wine Train- My parents don't drink After a week with them though my wife and I will need a vacation from them. I think that might be a great weekend thing for us.

Rich- Logging museum- my parents live in a timber industry area of Montana and ever since the cable reality show about loggers started, my dad has not missed an episode. This will be perfect for him. There is also a logging museum in Eureka. Thanks for the information on both parks.

Dan- Weaverville and the Eureka waterfront sound perfect for my Mom. She is partially disabled so her mobility is bad. She can slowly stroll the waterfront and enjoy the ocean.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:14 PM
barry59
Freshman User
Lassen to Redwoods Trip

I used to live in Redding and made the trip over to Eureka several times a year. I would add only a few things to what has already been suggested:

If you stay on 89 North to connect to 299 West, DO NOT miss Burney Falls. It is a must see, and someone with limited mobility can view it fine from the parking lot level. Burney is a logging town too, and has some decent places to eat, etc.

Heading west out of Redding, stop in Old Shasta, just as you start the climb up to Whiskeytown lake. Old ruins and a couple of museums to check out. Then, stop at the visitors center and lookout at the crest of the hill just as the lake comes into view.

The town of Ferndale on the coast is very cool. Lots of old Victorian style homes and an amazing hillside cemetery. Lots of shops and cafes for the tourist crowd. It's a short detour off the highway, but worth it.

Be sure to eat here while in Eureka: The Lost Coast Brewery - Food & Hours It's a brewery with a great restaurant. Try the Downtown Brown. My favorite brew!

Enjoy your trip

Old 09-12-2008, 02:02 PM
dumptech
Elder User
We just got back from vacation in that area. Took Bubba over the 36 from Hayfork to the 101. Very scenic. Drove down The Avenue Of the Giants on our way south on 101. Stayed in Guerneville along the Russian River. The Armstrong Woods State Park is great. Korbel Champagne Cellers there, too.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:27 AM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lassen Volcanic National Park

McArthur-Burney Falls State Park

If you have time...............Homer, Alaska........ (j/k)

Old 09-19-2008, 04:51 PM
barry59
Freshman User
Vacation

So how was the trip? What sights did you take in?

Old 09-19-2008, 10:09 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
We got back last night. It was a great trip. We spent a night in Mineral and went into Lassen a few times and explored. We somehow we missed Burney Falls... I honestly don't know how though.

We drove through Redding and walked across the Sun Dial Bridge ( about the coolest pedestrian bridge I've been on.) We had lunch then headed west on 299. Talk about a windy and beautiful road. I can't believe how many fires have burned through there. The small towns along the way (Weaverville, etc.) were great. We toured around a bit and looked at the homes and old buildings. There are so many great Victorians along 299 and 101.

It was 90 in Redding and got hotter going west, topping out at 101! It then dropped to 54 and mist when we got to Arcata, where our hotel was. After dinner, my wife and I dropped my parents off at the hotel and went out on the town. I have to agree the beers from Lost Coast Brewery are great. I really liked Skinny Dipper.

We toured around Redwoods National Park (really small) and walked around the Lady Bird Johnson grove (amazing and highly recommended. After going to big parks like Yosemite, Glacier, Yellowstone, Death Valley, etc, it was neat to see two smaller parks.

We left on Thursday to come home. 101 is amazing. The fall colors were appearing. We took the Avenue of the giants and stopped at the visitor center outside of Burlington and walked around. Being among those 700 + year old giants made me feel pretty small and inconsequential. It was very peaceful. I got over my existential issues questioning "why am I here?" when I got hungry and we ate lunch in Ukiah.

Overall, a great and beautiful trip. Thanks for all the suggestions. My wife and are going to visit both areas again and catch the sights you guys mentioned that we did not get too.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:52 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
So...what did your dad think of the truck? And particularly the red items...?

Old 09-24-2008, 01:04 AM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by TigerDan
So...what did your dad think of the truck? And particularly the red items...?
My dad was amazed by the amount of change and work. He had doubts that it would get done and it did. I took him to my auto body class. He learned a few things that will help him restore his John Deere Model H.

As for the red parts...direct quote- eye roll--- (sigh) "whatever." I was kind of hoping it would get under his skin more. I am gong to paint the brace support that runs across the bottom of the cab red. I may also paint the transfer case red as well and paint the rear drive shaft in a red and black candy cane pattern. It will look cool as it spins.