ARGH! 3.8 playing up

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 03:23 PM
J1MMY
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARGH! 3.8 playing up

I wonder if I plotted my own demise by cursing the gutlessness of the engine - now its running like a dog.

The symptoms are -

It has no power (although having read around, that seems like something to live with until I find a 351) but I could live with that for now, as long as it ran smoothly. BUT it now...

Dies off under part throttle, running (roughly) when pushing it.

If I have cause to use the kickdown it gets REALLY rough afterwards.

Oil light flickers when idling and engine is warm (oil level is fine)

I thought I would ask you folks in the know before I start ordering X,Y & Z and possibly wasting money along the way.

Oh, its a Carb fed motor in an '83 F100.

Hearty thanks in advance

Old 09-10-2008, 04:45 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmmm

How many miles/km on the engine?

Did the problem occure all-at-once, or was it gradual?

Did the oil light flicker coincide with the start of the problem?

Any chance you have bad plugs and wires? (They are known to cause rough running)

Can you guess if it is fuel delivery related? Maybe a clogged fuel filter? (given the symptoms you describe, sounds reasonable)

Any other info?

Thanks, and hope we can help.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:52 PM
J1MMY
Senior User
I had considered the plugs and leads possibility (and done a whole lot of using the search function and it came up a couple times) and have shot an email to a US automotive parts supplier over here to get prices on parts inc. Dizzy, rotor, coil as well. If I can nail the problem first then I will renew the other related parts just to keep it tickety - boo.

Fuel filter is worth a look - hadn't thought of that admittedly.

Engine has done 76k - been stood up a little while. The oil light was prior to the other problems, am wondering if the idle needs looking at as of course it drops a little when warm and the carb is recent so could need setting up? I have owned and dealt with grass roots type engines before - just not one where I had to climb into the engine bay to get to anything

Old 09-11-2008, 11:31 AM
J1MMY
Senior User
Recieved a reply from the parts factor, I was surprised at how reasonable the prices are! The plugs they recommend are NGK V power - before I order up does anyone have any pos or neg epxeriences of them?

Old 09-15-2008, 07:17 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jimmy,
sorry I have not responded sooner. I have been out of town and had limited computer/web access.

I would suggest using Motorcraft plugs and wires if they are not too difficult or expensive to get. Other brands have offered mixed results to guys over the years.
Perhaps the NGK plugs would work fine, but I think you can count on the Motorcraft to work well.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:18 AM
RP27G8G
Senior User
Sounds like it may be the catalytic converter. General tune up stuff is always good but the symptoms sound like the cat(s). May want to pull the exhaust pipe off the front of the cat and see if it runs any different. Just my $.02

Old 10-02-2008, 04:15 PM
J1MMY
Senior User
I can't see for the life of me where the 'cat would be - its an aftermarket/custom system which is all tube section bar one silencer box.