For Someone good at decoding heads!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 11:26 PM
fordtruck44
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For Someone good at decoding heads!

I've been in a long search for heads for cheap for my 390 if someone could decode these that would be great

- C7AE

- C1AE-6090-A

- C6AE-R
-What are the stock intake port height and valve size for this perticular head?

- C8AE-H
Thank you very much!!!

Old 09-16-2008, 08:32 AM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well first off , what motor are you going to use these on and what are your plans ? Daily driver ? Daily driver with just a little more *****? Street rodding it? street/strip build?

The C7 ? is a short port head But I cant say I have ever seen one?.... and the C1, is a
early tall part head..(good Head) in my opinion...and the C6-R head is a great head also..even tho I dont have any hands on with the C6-R....I hear its a highly desired head for some builders...

But I'am not into many stock parts...I know a little but not alot like some of the guru's that have all the spec's for the stock stuff..

I'am sure Numbers Dummy or FFR428, Or Bear45/70 will chime in...They would have all the port dimensions, Valve sizes etc.... stock spring rates and what all Motors they came !

Old 09-16-2008, 12:40 PM
fordtruck44
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a 1966 390 going in a 1966 F-100 2wd long box I want it to be a reliable street rod. If thats what you would call it. I want it to be driveable, low torque convertor, good lopy cam, new intake, and carb, and headers, maybe new ignition.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:44 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by RapidRuss
The C7 ? is a short port head But I cant say I have ever seen one?....
I have a set of the C7AE-A heads, they are the same as the C8AE's except that the combustion chamber is slightly different. Remember those pics I posted?

Old 09-16-2008, 03:00 PM
FFR428
Needsmorecoffee.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Something else to think about is the exhaust bolt patterns on some of the different heads. The early C1 heads have the vertical 8 bolt pattern only. The later C6, C7 and C8 heads can be found with 8, 14 and 16 bolt patterns for the different types of passenger cars and trucks ex manifolds were used. Example the Mustangs, Cougars, Fairlanes where the shock towers are close. While the 14 bolt pattern was mainly for the GT and CJ cars where exhaust manifolds used mainly the horizontal pattern. Although the pass side far rear ex port on the GT's was vertical. The 16 bolt pattern is universal and found on most service heads as well. One size fits all if you will. Another thing is the exhaust ports themselves. These are raised on the 66 and later heads except for the CJ heads. So check your headers or ex manifolds to what your buying/using. Intake ports are also larger on the early vs late heads again except the CJ's which are more like the early style. I'm sure there's a bunch of holes in this as it's only a general overview. We can get into details as you and others bring things up.