General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Lance should quit while he is ahead

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 01:42 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Lance should quit while he is ahead

I saw where Lance Armstrong is going to comeback and ride in the 2009 Tour. This guy has one of the greatest feats in all of sports and a legacy that I think none can surpass in the world of cycling. I don't see any upside here for him. Seems like he has more to lose than to gain. I think he should take his 7 consecutive Tour victories and enjoy retirement.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:50 PM
freirefishing
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
he put a clinic on 2 years ago,and to say that number 8 wouldnt happen is a mistake. also they have drug testing now in cycling that shows if you have done any performance enhancing drugs in recent years,not just recently. that alone will say hes been cleen all along

Old 09-09-2008, 03:38 PM
Brown Kid
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I can see him winning again.
There is minimal competition out there at the moment.
The last 2 years without him has been dismal.
The sport needs him as much as he needs the sport.
It is on now !

Old 09-09-2008, 08:35 PM
rangerfan
Posting Guru
He's racing again to bring more awareness for cancer research according to ESPN. Nothing more or nothing less.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:21 PM
tjthegreat
Elder User
its ok we all kno he has the ***** to do it

Old 09-10-2008, 02:55 AM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rangerfan
He's racing again to bring more awareness for cancer research according to ESPN. Nothing more or nothing less.
Excellent deal. I am all for the cancer research

Originally Posted by tjthegreat
its ok we all kno he has the ***** to do it
Ball. Its singular

Having faced the same cancer the fact that he can race is great. Lance should be the judge of his abilty to race or not. He is amazing athlete even without the side story of the cancer.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:21 AM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Armstrong may have some 'go' left in his legs, and heart.

Some thought Roger Federer was pretty much finished.

Look what he did to Murray.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:02 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think Lance should give it a go, again.

Win/lose. . . at least he tried it.

On the other hand, my youngest daughter said, "Dad, if he wants to see France so badly, he should ride a motorcycle and go when there aren't so many people chasing him!"
(She then rolled her eyes and walked away.)

Old 09-10-2008, 09:50 PM
71dusterdan
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I for one am stoked about his unretirement, i have been an ardent tour fan, i grow roots the month of July. I watch the coverage every day no fail. well this year i did not watch one hour worth of coverage. there is no draw right now, discovery/postal has been broken up, drug scandals including highly praised americans, and the men thought to be Lance's follow on winners. right now the tour is in the pits, there may as well be no tour. The tour needs Lance and his draw more than he needs it. The French will use every opportunity to continue to "catch him" and continue to look like horses rears. I can not make a prediction to his outcome, i can only say this...... not many people in any sport have the determination, and heart of a Lance Armstrong. furthermore Nobody trains like Lance Armstrong, he is gifted yet not as gifted as others, but he is unequivocably the best trained rider in cycling. and it all comes from his own fire in the gut. He will show up in shape and ready for the challenge, if they can build a team somewhat capable of supporting and protecting him, his odds are better than all comers! Yes i am a Lance cronniey, and i can tell you where i will be come nexy July! Go Lance! Dan

Old 09-10-2008, 10:00 PM
2003 6.0
Senior User
Go Lance Go!

Old 09-11-2008, 08:08 AM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I am a huge Lance fan and as I said there is no greater story in sports than what he has come back to accomplish since his battle with cancer. He is an inspiration to many and will continue to be so. The French and most cycling fans from other countries hate him and will stop at nothing to smear his name even to the point of manufacturing a scandal to discredit him. Since he retired he is clear of all that and his record speaks for itself. Anything manufactured by his enemies from this point forward will stick to his past accomplishments as well, like it or not. Lance is a hero to many and I don't think he needs to ride in the Tour to bring awareness to anything. He does a great job of that just because he is Lance Armstrong. Go Lance Go! Just don't go to France.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:31 AM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by 19fifty4
I am a huge Lance fan and as I said there is no greater story in sports than what he has come back to accomplish since his battle with cancer. He is an inspiration to many and will continue to be so. The French and most cycling fans from other countries hate him and will stop at nothing to smear his name even to the point of manufacturing a scandal to discredit him. Since he retired he is clear of all that and his record speaks for itself. Anything manufactured by his enemies from this point forward will stick to his past accomplishments as well, like it or not. Lance is a hero to many and I don't think he needs to ride in the Tour to bring awareness to anything. He does a great job of that just because he is Lance Armstrong. Go Lance Go! Just don't go to France.
I think a comeback to the tour de france is a great way to give france the finger.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:48 AM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1979 Ford
I think a comeback to the tour de france is a great way to give france the finger.
Especially if he wins it.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:28 AM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by sierraben
Especially if he wins it.
Without a doubt.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:24 PM
ckal704
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, I don't really care about the tour, but I am impressed by the willingness of an undisputed champion to literally risk it all by throwing his spokes in the ring again.
He knows the price he'll pay if he loses, and he is willing to accept them to promote his cause. He is even more willing to accept the response to his cause if he should happen to win the race.
We have seen more than one athlete retire and come back to again be a champion; albeit a somewhat rare occaision. But it can happen. He believes it will hapen to him, and regardless of the outcome, it will raise yet more awareness to his cherished cause.
Cancer killed my mother. I know we all have to go sometime, but 59 was unreasonably young, in my opinion.
Good for you, Lance!!

Quick Reply: Lance should quit while he is ahead