6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Theory on damaged DPF

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 01:09 PM
surf_ox
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Theory on damaged DPF

OK heres a shot in the dark

Has anyone with a JOB3 had a damaged DPF

With the new flash i just got in my JOB1 i began to wonder this

the new flash was primarily DPF and regen related

Is everyone with a damaged DPF running in a JOB1 without the 08-13-2 TSB

The local service manager hadnt heard of it until i asked him about it....upon reading it over he had his own 08 immediately set up to do a reflash

I wonder if the new reflash with regen communication on it will eliminate damage to the DPF by way of shutting off truck during an incomplete regen. The driver will know its going on and will follow communication to complete the regen.

Any thoughts????

Old 09-09-2008, 01:25 PM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quite frankly, I don't care about waiting for the regen to finish. A proper fix would be to have a regen timer so if it was in regen when you parked your vehicle it would stay running until it finished much like a turbo timer would do. I can't wait until the darn thing is out of warranty and I don't care about voiding it anymore because that thing will be gone.

As for your question, I have had the reflash for this but have never seen the regen message. But then again, i don't really care either.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:32 PM
goneon66
Junior User
i have a job-3. dpf went at appox. 3000 miles and couldn't get ford to replace it until 5000 miles...........

Old 09-09-2008, 02:38 PM
surf_ox
Senior User
Originally Posted by goneon66
i have a job-3. dpf went at appox. 3000 miles and couldn't get ford to replace it until 5000 miles...........

great that answers my question

i was beginning to wonder that DPFs were job 1 related

thanks for posting

Old 09-09-2008, 03:15 PM
DieselWhisperer
Senior User
Well, mine must have been bad or went bad on the assembly line. My dealer here in WV didn't have a long bed crew, but he had one on his lot in Johnson City, TN so he had a guy drive it up to Beckley (267 miles, that's what was on it when I bought it). It's a job 1, built in April, 07. The first thing I noticed was the tips, they were black with soot. I asked my service writer about the black tips and he said it was normal.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:15 PM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
DPFs are, on average, 89% efficient at removing particulate matter. Just like an air filter, the more soot they trap, the more efficient they become. Even at 89%, it would take a long time to accumulate enough visible soot, especially on tail pipe tips that are 8-10 ft. from the dpf itself.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:41 PM
DieselWhisperer
Senior User
I cleaned the inside of my tips about 3 days ago (real good) using an acid/water mix and a small stiff brush and here's what they looked like after about 40 or 50 miles soot.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Old 09-09-2008, 09:22 PM
cHiLi 11
Senior User
Thats exactly what mine look like and the fender on my white truck. Does that look like a bad DPF?

Nick

Old 09-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Moyerboy
Senior User
i have had the same trouble since day 1 an dnow my truck billows out black smoke from 1-4 and 5-6 arent noticable from the movement but i plan to take my can off and when somthing goes wrong then ill out the can back on and hope the computer wont tell ford it was off

Old 09-10-2008, 08:25 AM
richfaa
Elder User
I was told that there was a batch of bad DPF's out of the factory on the early Job-1 builds.Mine was bad from the get go..was replaced and have had no problems since.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:51 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
I have a job 3 08 PSD and have 1800 miles, has gone into regen twice that I know of, no DPF issues at all. pipes are as clean as when I bought the truck.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:47 PM
sbaset
Junior User
I have a Job3 F450 May2008 production. All it took was one trip with towing, and I have the black tips at 1600 miles. I have only seen one regen on the dashboard indicator, and that was at 400 miles.

I can't wait to fight the dealer on this one...I can already here the excuses now. That's normal..blah blah blah.

WTF is up with these things? Why do they keep crapping out?

Old 09-12-2008, 06:50 AM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
How many of you with black pipe tips use your truck as a daily driver? How long are your trips on average?

I'd like to find a trend based on use of the vehicle. Despite having a Delta P sensor on the dpf to trigger regens, Ford should also have time, distance and fuel used triggers. If they do, it may be that they calculated these triggers based on a different duty cycle than what most of the trucks are being used in. It would be interesting to see what the ECM's RAM data holds.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:17 AM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Job 3 - 1,600 miles - goes in today for suspected DPF failure. Tail pipes have been black since 1,000 miles. Cleaned them out once because dealer told me (over the phone) it could just be residue from a regen but they were black again in no time.

Do a little research on the web. Ford isnt the only one having problems. Even the big trucks are having issues. I will let Ford replace it so long as it is under warranty but once the warranty is up Im not willing to pay the rumored $1,500 price tag. I will get the delete pipe and a programmer for the same cost and not have to worry about it anymore. If I am out of warranty anyway, why not. It might smoke a little but I will be using less fuel so which is really better for the world we live in????

Old 09-12-2008, 09:30 AM
hallkk
New User
Originally Posted by rob_nc
Despite having a Delta P sensor on the dpf to trigger regens, Ford should also have time, distance and fuel used triggers. If they do, it may be that they calculated these triggers based on a different duty cycle than what most of the trucks are being used in.
Ford has engineered the regen cycle off of more than a Dp sensor. When I pulled my filter pack down (CAT & DPF), I got about 360-400 miles on the truck before the truck went into a non-stop regen. At that time I didn't have a programmer but did have the delete pipe, so the filter pack went back in, truck did its thing, and I waited until a Spartan box showed up at my door.

Quick Reply: Theory on damaged DPF