1974 Ford Cummins Crew cab

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 11:19 AM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
1974 Ford Cummins Crew cab

Hi all. I've been contemplating this swap for a little while and have been lazy about actually starting it because I already have WAAAY too many projects on my list.

An upcoming move and watching HRDROKN's thread have tempted me to start.

My goal right now is just to get the motor in the truck and hopefully driving. I want to get this done before I have to move. If I have time I will then start with some of the upgrades to the truck. Otherwise the truck will get put on hold until after I move and I get the new shop set up.

Donor Vehicle: '91 (non-intercooled) D250
Swap Vehicle: '74 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 4wd

Here's a few teaser pics, but as forewarning - I don't have much time to work on this thing so updates/pics might take a little while

Old 09-10-2008, 12:38 AM
bendog
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice truck, same wheels as mine. I think HRDROKN started alot of Cummins swaps. I hope mine turns out half as good as his, its drowning in body work right now, so sloooooow. Good luck with yours.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:50 AM
HRDROKN
Tuned

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Good to see this project on the move.... That's one clean looking Crew Cab!!!

Are you going to run the Dodge trans or adapt the Ford? Auto or standard? To which transfercase?

Need the details!

Old 09-10-2008, 12:57 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Thanks for the compliments guys! I am excited to FINALLY be starting this, as I have been going back and forth on when to start it for about a year.

I posted a reply on the cummins forum that I am just copying and pasting here (below) because it answers some of your question and will give an idea of my plans for the truck.
"This truck is SWEEEET and will only become better with time. It will be my towing/camping rig and here is a little run down of the mods it will see.

91 12v Cummins motor with 7.3L intercooler added. Not positive on tranny yet as I can't decide on auto or stick (any ideas?). It has the divorced NP205 t-case already and I do have a gear vendors unti to go in it if I want.
Dana 60 front end - still deciding on 4 link with coil overs or keeping leafs.
I'm thinking corp 14 in the rear and it will definitely be getting 64" chebby rear leafs.
Can't decide on whether or not to cage it but I might.
I already have all power seats out of an '06 Powerjoke ford that I'm putting in.
The inside and underside of both the cab and bed will get Line-X or similar.
The 315/75r16 (35") BFG AT's on the 8 hole alcoas will stay.
I have an autofab drop center fiberglass hood, as well as fiber fenders and bedsides that might go on her as well.

With a list that long I better get my butt in gear"

Just to clarify a bit and touch on the tranny a little more...
T-case is the stock, divorced 205. Tranny for now will be the stock 727 out of the dodge (unless I can find a cheap adapter to keep my NP435) just to try and get the thing in an running. I know I might blow some extra $$ in having to build/rebuild driveshafts because of this, so I'm not exactly sure whatI will end up donig yet. Final decision on tranny is up in the air as I keep going back and forth between auto and manual. I would like an NV4500, but I can't justify the cost. My other thought is a TH400 from behind a 4bt and then use my gearvendors unit.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
the np435/t18 were bolted to 4bt's as well. so there must be a plate avalable. also the dodge nv4500 2wd version would work for you since you have the divorced case

Old 09-10-2008, 04:32 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Good to know on the 435! I figured this could be a decent option as I already have one that seems to work ok and this might keep driveline modifications to a minimum. I just have to look into where to find the "bellhousing" or adapter thing off a 4bt now.

I have also been looking at the 2wd NV4500's seeing as my truck is manual as of now, but everybody seems to think those trannies are plated in gold. If I go manual this is the tranny I think I would like but it's $$$.

As I said I am still up in the air on auto vs. manual, but I am hoping to come up with a decent auto tranny option as well. A lot of people say allison, but they seem like way too much effort for not much reward.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:21 PM
Milwaukee1979F150
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It easy to do that or much work?

Do Cummin need computers? Is there Cummin that don't need computer?

Just want know if it good and mpg is 20 or high then I would put in 79 F150.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:29 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Not much work. 89-93's seem to be the easiest (no computer), followed by the 94-98.5's and then the newest, common rail ones. Although the common rail ones have a computer to deal with.

Gas mileage depends on the driver and mods to the truck, but it is WAY better than most gas motors.

On a happy note - I got the gasser out of the truck last night. I also figured out the correct size picture to use in photobucket!!!!

Even though I tried to degrease the thing 1st I still have a NASTY, GREASY mess to clean up. This thing is a PIG

This one shows some sort of fiberglass crap they had packed around the gearbox. I'm sure it was there to dissipate heat, but that stuff sucks and was nasty so it left...

Last pics for today - the 2wd gearbox that the P.O. put on. Why in the heck they did this I do not understand. All i know is they made more work for me when I have to put a saginaw box in there.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:31 PM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
My 88 Ford Crew Cab had that same heat dissipation crap in the floor, I took a drill with a wire brush attachment and ripped it off just this afternoon before I rubber undercoated the floor and patched the holes in the floor.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:03 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
So I spent about 2 hours de-greasing this pig last night and it's still NASTY. So I guess I get to spend a few more hours on it tonight if I have time.

Unfortunately I only have nights to work on it until October. I am gone for the next three weekends straight which kind of sucks seeing as that takes away a LOT of good work time I really think I could have this thing in if I had those weekends but oh well.

Hopefully my nights will be productive ones. As it is I have been coming in from the garage at about 11:30 PM. But working from 8-11:30 or so isn't enough.

In all my cleaning last night I did come across something kind of cool - a part number on the front leafs. By looking at these things I could tell they were aftermarket (much nicer than stock), but now I can do some google searching to see what they are.

The part number looks like: 04TS5310-AA (possibly AN)

Old 09-16-2008, 02:18 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
So I created a sub account in my photobucket (still figuring out the program) and moved the photos and it lost them here. Seeing as you can't edit an older post on this forum I will have to re-post the pics if people want them.

Not much progress on the truck - I started pulling the Cummins out last night. Dang these things have a lot off coolant in them!!!!

No pics of this, but I am getting excited about the thing.

My dilemma is still tranny. I am thinking about the NV4500 again, but I am also trying to look at the NP435 that I already have. Kemicalburns said there is a bellhousing for these since they used the T18 behind the 4bt in bread trucks.

Does anybody have any more info on this? I can't find much of anything online and I want to find out if the motor would have the 10* or so angle like they do with the stock chebby/TH400 adapters.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:02 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Competition Concepts, Redmond, OR. Specializing in High Performance

give this shop a call. he has done a few swaps putting the 6bt into a 60's ford and some 70's fords and making it look factory. Tell him Travis refered you

Old 09-18-2008, 11:03 AM
crazyredneckanyhow
Post Fiend

Want pics. This is what im doin and with Ed helpin you ill just copy what your doin lol

Old 09-18-2008, 01:56 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Pics of what Dave? Ed's not helping yet - aside from my random question asking about his opinion on hydroboost, etc. He's busy playing in the mud on the weekends and I'm out of town during them - so we haven't had time to hang out in the ship for a while.

The only thing I have been doing recently is tearing down the dodge - so no real progress or pics.

I head out of town tomorrow again and will be gone for the weekend (damn - no progress again), but hopefully next week we'll see the cummins on a cherry picker, dangling over the Ford frame.

Right now I'm still looking at tranny options and whether or not I want to do the hydroboost now or once the motor is in and running.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:31 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Not much progress but I did get moving on taking the dodge apart. Here's a couple pics of about where I left off Thursday night. The core support is now off and I'm un-bolting everything so I can rip the motor out.

Quick Reply: 1974 Ford Cummins Crew cab