1974 Ford Cummins Crew cab

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 10:32 AM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks. I figured if I was gonna have 46 gallons hangin, I was going to drag a trailer off this thing and I was going to actually be strapping something to those clevis hangers to drag it out from the sand or mud, then I'd better make this thing stout. My favorite is the tubes that go back down the frame about 24".

Old 12-21-2015, 01:39 PM
highntight
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 12-21-2015, 09:45 PM
xringonly
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man Im glad to see you back on this thing, just wish I wasn't nearly done with current stage of my build. I imagine there will be plenty more ideas for me to borrow before I start my next stage

Old 12-22-2015, 09:38 AM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Thanks. I wish I was further along on the truck but it's just not the case. The rain we've been getting recently isn't helping my cause, but we sure do need it due to the major drought we are in so I guess I can't complain much.

And Zach - I missed the explanation of that pump in Crazed's thread somehow. Do you know what that pump & mount were originally off of?

Old 12-22-2015, 01:00 PM
highntight
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Not exactly no.... I do think it was off an equipment application just dont know what, I would think any application requiring hyd is a good place to start, Crazed said even some 4bt app had it as well. The pump itself is one from vickers and pretty available. Any hyd joint should be able to complete one for you. Just want to find out your pressures between hyd assist and your box and they can make it happen. I wish I could remember more, I cant even remember what I paid.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:38 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Thanks. I was looking more at the mount than anything. Didn't know if it was a kit, custom or pulled off something. I'm not doing hydro assist on this thing, just the saginaw steering box off the dodge & a hydroboost. I'm just looking to run those and then looking to dump the vacuum pump to clean things up a bit.
After Crazed warning that the hydro brackets & gears are a bit sought after & therefore sellers think they're plated in gold I may become lazy about searching one out.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:53 AM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They look like the pumps used on tow trucks.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:07 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Been quiet for a while and with the holidays & all I haven't been getting much done. A few minutes here & there, but nothing really to speak of other than I may re-do some work I JUST did. Ugh! Not paying full attention & missing something bugs me
So yeah, for all you guys that say I have great attention to detail - I'm definitely losing that...

The brake tab I wended on the rear axle that holds the T for the rear lines will be VERY close to the bump stop it seems. Bump stops were not in the truck when I did the brakes but are now back in & I saw what may become an issue. Rather than hope it's just close & chance it I'm going to cut it off now & fix it. Better than realizing it doesn't work when out in the boonies sometime in the future & losing the rear brakes because of it...

So yeah... I'm annoyed with myself.

On a happier note, I got a nice gift card from some close friends of my in-laws that I did a bit of work for a while back & refused to be paid. They surprised me with a couple very generous gift cards for Christmas that I'm getting tools & parts with.

Santa didn't bring me any parts on my Christmas list this year (I did get some cool tools though) so the gift card was a great surprise to get what I need to move forward for a bit. Fuel lines and more - here I come!

Happy New Year to all

Old 01-02-2016, 06:44 PM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Happy New Year right back to ya!!

Oooo!! new to you cool tools means new and interesting fab work. Can't wait to see you play with these!!

Old 01-17-2017, 06:49 AM
scottfreeman
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crickets in this thread.......

Just kidding ya Chasetruck, I know you've been crazy busy with real life.
I know you've been working on the ol crew some here and there. Steady little bites for the win buddy. I'm excited for you to drive this thing. I love my Fummins, if it wasn't for your engine mount towers I never would have tackled the project. In fact, I'm almost finished installing hydroboost with your adapter bracket.

Last edited by scottfreeman; 01-17-2017 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Ensure subscription
Old 03-03-2017, 12:38 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Apparently I suck at this now...

Been close to 2 months after being blatantly called out & I finally make the time to try & log on & reply & I can't even log in. Forgot password it's been so long
Although Scott has no real reason to call me out as he gets personal updates right to his phone!

So yeah, for anyone out there & still paying attention, this thing isn't dead, just close.

I hadn't touched the truck since my last post really until January of this year. So that's another year gone of this beast just sitting. We had a son in the mean time, (8 months old now), my daughter just turned 3 and I'm at the stage in life I never used to understand = when my "truck buddies" were too busy to have time to work on their projects. Kids are a blast & I love my family, and as much as I WANT to work on this thing, it's just hard finding the time.

I sneak out in the garage when I can after my wife falls asleep on the couch at night. This usually gives me from about 10 PM until I'm too tired (sometimes 1 AM, most of the time 11 or so) to get whatever I can figure out QUIETLY. I typically get stuck needing to cut, sand or drill something & I can't without waking up the wife or kids, so it gets put on hold until I can find time on a lunch break to try & rush through some noisy stuff.

This thing is inching forward though. Well, I take that back... Maybe not inching, more like millimetering forward, but hey, I'll take what I can.

Been playing a bit in cad, making small time parts/fittings orders & doing a lot of thinking. Once I make the time to load some pics again I'll post up. Don't hold your breath though as I don't have a good track record of keeping on this.

I have contemplated starting an instagram account so I can just post pics while I work on the stuff & it'll be easier. I don't get to do my long winded ramblings like this there though.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:03 PM
Fordworth
Laughing Gas
Just drive the SOB already.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:26 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
yeah thanks.

I'm getting to the point where I might even let you work on it for me!

Got a fuel fitting I needed last week. Now just gotta find the time to throw it on & start buttoning up the fuel lines

Old 03-03-2017, 05:33 PM
Fordworth
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by ChaseTruck754
yeah thanks.

I'm getting to the point where I might even let you work on it for me!
What's that supposed to mean. At least it would get done. I bet I can stick faster than you tig.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:02 PM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We like the long winded ramblings.

Quick Reply: 1974 Ford Cummins Crew cab