1974 Ford Cummins Crew cab

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 04:05 PM
79Supercab
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm trying to figure out my Ebrake situation too. I've got the Dodge D70 and am using the cables that came with it. Was planning on running the cable just under the frame rail, as I don't have room to run it beside the frame due to my camper tie down brackets and the drivers side cable isn't quite long enough to stretch over there.

I need to find something to connect the factory ford cable and the Dodge cables. I had another cable that I can use, but there's too much of a run of cable without support. As in you put a mount at the end of the factory ford cable and a support at the end of the dodge cables.........but that makes about 2 feet of just cable just hanging out there.......

Not sure exactly what I'm going to do yet.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:22 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by meatloaf_CC
Funny, I was just doing research on this today! Their silicone hoses and connectors are rated for coolant use. At the bottom of the page in the details of each part has the following:

Genuine 4-ply Silicone (5 silicone layers plus 4 reinforcement layers = 9 total layers!)
Installer can cut silicone parts down to fit with a razor
Heat tolerance: -40° to 392° Fahrenheit
Burst Pressure: 200 PSI
Working Pressure: 50 PSI
Wall Size: 4 mm - 5 mm
Compatible with antifreeze/coolant

I'm going to be using these silicone parts for both my intercooler piping and my radiator hoses. They also have 3" aluminum intercooler piping and all sorts of sizes for stainless steel tubing for the radiator hoses. Great site! and they're in Colorado Springs, which is just 100 miles south of me.

-Kyle
Yup I have had great luck with them, was happy to see they were local. I'm doing my own 96 CC 12v swap. Where about are you located? I'm NE of Parker

Old 03-24-2015, 05:17 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by oddfordjunkie
If you get a chance I'd like to see the Dodge pedal unit as it sits in the truck.

I need to figure out controlling 2 Parking Brakes as I have the Mini-drums on the Axle and the large Tail-shaft unit on my F-450 sourced ZF5. Been debating between 1 "sandwiching" two pedal assemblies together. 2 running an inline Cable-splitter for the one pedal to control both setups or. 3 mounting dual Hand-brake levers on either side of my trans tunnel.
I snapped a couple pics on lunch. PM me your phone number or email address (whichever you want pics sent to) and I'll get them over to you. It was hard to get any great pics based on wires hanging down in that dash & having to be up close to the thing to get it in the frame, but they'll be good enough I think. I also have a side by side of the dodge & ford pedals I think & I'll send that if I can find it.

Originally Posted by 79Supercab
I'm trying to figure out my Ebrake situation too. I've got the Dodge D70 and am using the cables that came with it. Was planning on running the cable just under the frame rail, as I don't have room to run it beside the frame due to my camper tie down brackets and the drivers side cable isn't quite long enough to stretch over there.

I need to find something to connect the factory ford cable and the Dodge cables. I had another cable that I can use, but there's too much of a run of cable without support. As in you put a mount at the end of the factory ford cable and a support at the end of the dodge cables.........but that makes about 2 feet of just cable just hanging out there.......

Not sure exactly what I'm going to do yet.
I'll have more than 2 feet hanging out there for sure. Pretty sure lots of stock vehicles had this. In fact I was just looking at pics of my neighbors old '90 crew and there's more than 2 of cable not being held/guided there fore sure!

And now, a little bitty update.
Got my front AMP step support brackets painted & driver one temporarily in so I can start making the rear ones.

This stiffened up the step arms quite a bit.

Here's the beginnings of the rear one. Yes, I'm on a stainless kick right now. I figured I've got scrap around from a buddy who does a lot of the stainless metal work for LAX (LA international airport), so why not use it in spots that are under the truck I prone to getting covered in crap & rusting.
My buddy has 16 & 18 ga. so I'm making stuff out of that typically.

Funny the support brackets that came with the AMPs were 1/4". Seems like the typical "through thick material at it & it will be fine" mentality. A LOT thinner material will work with a decent design!

Also, it's awesome when the metal you are working with is so sharp that you don't feel it cut you, and you actually have no clue you are cut until there is blood all over the workpiece... Man I love my beverly shear, but dang it makes the work material deadly. Timie to hit the sander for a bit. Then the punch, then the drill press, then the brake. It'll be blingy when done, but the bling holes are there for strength.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:14 AM
highntight
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Way to go..... Just making everything perfect again. You know a bunch of us are getting sick and tired of WAIT WAIT WAIT backup a little... that was just me being jealous of your truck once again... hahaha looking amazing as always, You have a talent sir...

Old 03-25-2015, 11:05 AM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Thank you. And the jealousy is mutual - trust me. I see that rig of yours getting VERY close!!

Old 03-25-2015, 11:49 AM
highntight
Elder User
Some day soon I hope.... But until then an hours or so at a time...

Old 03-25-2015, 11:52 AM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
An hour???? Man that must be nice

Really though I'm anywhere from 10 minutes to maybe an hour at a time as well. Kind of frustrating at times, but I just try & whittle away as I can find time. Which reminds me - work is quiet for a minute & that belt sander is calling my name!

Old 03-25-2015, 12:59 PM
highntight
Elder User
Hahahah that a boy... Well we know in that 10 min u will give 110%...

Old 03-26-2015, 04:33 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Used my time well yesterday & the bracket is starting to take shape. A little fine tuning & some welding & it's on to the other side.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:35 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad you got a hook-up on stainless.

Reminds me I need to add Dimple Dies to the shopping list.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:57 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Putting this here now since I somehow landed it the wrong thread last time I tried...

There are definitely some economical alternatives out there for dimple dies now-a-days. 15 or so years ago when I bought my 1st set there was only 1, maybe 2 custom race shops making them. Curt LeDuc was the only 1 I remember. I had a set of his for years til I found a deal on a "used" set of JMRs about 5-6 years ago. Both sets were very expensive, but will last as they are 4340 heat treated or stainless. For guys who don't fab every day & just use them from time to time on personal projects there are heat treated 1018 steel versions that cost quite a bit less.

On a progress note - there hasn't been much
I've been gone & busy. I did do a little welding & dimpling last night. Not loving it takes about 5 minutes of moving stuff to get to my press & get parts in it, but hey, that's what it takes to fit all the tools in here & it's better than it not fitting & having to sell it I guess!

Old 04-05-2015, 10:02 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've got plenty of Shop Space for all your tools if you need room, go ahead and Pallet them up for me... Thanks.

haha, if only ^

Old 04-07-2015, 05:29 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Shipping all that might cost a pretty penny!

I miss my shop for sure, but not enough to pay what I was monthly to have one again!

I'll deal with moving stuff around here I guess. Oh and speaking of moving - I've got to get my butt going. Haven't done much but sanded & painted the holes from where I drilled for that bracket. Gotta get this e-brake thing buttoned up & move on!

Old 05-02-2015, 11:13 PM
tasaro510
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, I have a question. What is the purpose in the twin stick conversion in this application? It seems like more of a hard core, rock crawler mod than a DD/Chase rig thing?

Old 05-02-2015, 11:15 PM
tasaro510
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Forgot to mention, love your work by the way! I too had a shop for a while & had to downsize. It's almost pure hell trying to do anything now. Keep up the awesome effort! It'll pay off one day.

Quick Reply: 1974 Ford Cummins Crew cab